Thread: Should I buy a pair of JBL 4343?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Should I buy a pair of JBL 4343?

New to this forum and new to this subject ...

It must be close to 40 years ago that I listened to a pair of JBL studio monitors, very large ones with two 15' woofers - which effortless and powerful sound left an impression lasting till today. Now I'm in the position to obtain a pair of studio monitors, I've been offered a pair of JBL 4343B at what seems to me a reasonable price (€2000).

Since I never heard these speakers, my first question is concerning the sound. Currently I own a pair of Tannoy D700, so I'm used to horn driven speakers - do I have to expect colorations to some extent? For professional reasons I have to listen to classical music from time to time.
    The seller is quite far away from me, I'm in Germany, he in Spain, so I can't have a listen myself.

This leads to the second point, which questions should I ask the seller? He claims, that the speakers are fully original, the surroundings of the bass and midrange drivers are undamaged and that he is the first, original owner. What else is important, what are the general weak points of JBL 4343?

The seller claims that all speakers are AlNiCo-drivers. The serial-no. is 001423 (and 001424, I assume) - were all drivers still AlNiCo then? In this context, I have read somewhere on the net these drivers should / could be re-magnetized - is this true?

A lot of questions, so I save the other ones for a later post ...

Thanks in advance for your help in advance,
    Kai
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information