Thread: Change of plans

Change of plans

My new employer has again reversed themselves and now wants me to work in Dayton OH rather than Rockford IL.

I you saw my recent threads, I was asking questions about a pair of 4430's that are available not too far from Rockford but far enough from Dayton that I will probably not pursue them.

I did find a pair of empty cabinets that are marked 4431A. They would be a home for the 2235's and 2405's that I have and are in the Dayton area.

Any input on what they are worth would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4331A-Unloaded-Cabinets-Pro-Monitor-Version-L200-L300-4333A-Project/183348731344

This would put me back on track with my original plan.

What is it you REALLY want to end up with? We can find 4430 parts if you need them - or whole 4430s. Which direction do you want to go?

The 4430 was a convenient way to get quickly into a proper sized cabinet for a 2235 and would give me another CD/horn to try.

Eventually I would like to have that, a 2123 in a proper sized cabinet, a 2405 for the high freqs and a CD/horn that I like.

I have some 2445's and some assorted horns to experiment with.

Those cabinets would make a home for the 2235 and 2405.

Good luck, just thought we might help.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJewels View Post

I personally don't care for the utility gray cabs. I think these cabs are way overpriced considering the age and condition. By the time you repair and refinish these, you'll be way underwater. You could probably get a local builder to make a pair using original plans and better materials for that kind of money.

Now, if you're going for a 'nut and bolt' restoration with everything to original spec, then I can see using these. But that's an act of passion without regard to cost.

Thanks turnitdown and DES-1. I was able to find some more info on the cabinets and yeah, they are considerably overpriced.

It had them listed before with the make an offer option. If he does that again I would see if I can get them for a reasonable price.

I am looking for a correctly sized, amply braced cabinet for the 2235's to use while I experiment with different CD's and horns until I find what I like. 2235/2123/????/2405. At that point I would would look to see what JBL issued speaker it was like or commission a cabinet or, more likely, cabinets.

Was it you DES-1 that had the beautiful cabinets built by the guy in Canada?

If this helps, I have had 4430 cabinets cut for me on a CNC router at an auto stereo shop. 3/4 inch MDF. One set used two sheets. I spec'd all the cuts and braces. The pair was $170+tax out the door. Just assemble at home. I no longer cut my own cabinets.

Yes, Joe Stewart built mine but it was a drive to pick them up, about an hour north of Toronto. The guy at customs was scratching his head why in the world would an older guy want to bring back such monsterous cabinets, what purpose could they serve?

Turnitdown, can you provide some more details about farming out your 4430? I'm curious as to what type of CNC device an auto stereo shop would have and what type of directions you provided them. Yours sound like the best bang-for-buck by far.

Steve, the link is to 2way 4331A cabinets not 4430 referred to. Mind you, the 4331 or similar 3way 4333 cabinet is what you want - 2235, 2425/2312/2308, 2405 3 way.

Quote Originally Posted by remusr View Post
    Steve, the link is to 2way 4331A cabinets not 4430 referred to. Mind you, the 4331 or similar 3way 4333 cabinet is what you want - 2235, 2425/2312/2308, 2405 3 way.
    I guess I was not clear. The point of the post was to obtain fair market value for the cabinets in the link.

Thread Information