Thread: Stephens Trusonic help 1715 WX

Stephens Trusonic help 1715 WX

Hi, I have searched a great deal for information on the 15" Stephens Trusonic speaker I recently acquired with no results other than a link to Worthpoint which gives info from a previous Ebay auction. I have looked through several Stephens vintage brochures again with no results. Hoping to find some info here. I have 1 in a homemade cabinet that is actually nicely built. I have played this speaker on my Fisher x-101-st and it sounds very nice. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. The above info that I found says it was Stephens answer to the Jensen g-610.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

That's probably not a model number. Search trusonic coaxial.

Answer to Jensen G610? That's doubtful. I believe Jensen was third behind Altec and Tannoy.

That color is late, Possibly a change made under Utah ownership, so this may be basically the same as the big blue Trusonic coaxial, the 206, but with that more relaxed red surround for LF extension. The basket looks the same. The 206 had one magnet for both drivers; yours looks to be like that.

Trusonic did an 8" and a 12" coaxial mounting their ring radiator tweeters, but I don't know whether they did a 15" like that. I think those had something goitered onto the back.

The 206, with its small divided horn coaxially mounted, was more like the Altec 604 than either of the others, except for the lack of a second magnet.

Using a flashlight you might be able to see enough through the grille cloth to see if there is a horn in there.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Stephens did make a fifteen in the CX series; there's one on eBay today.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    That's probably not a model number. Search trusonic coaxial.

Answer to Jensen G610? That's doubtful. I believe Jensen was third behind Altec and Tannoy.

That color is late, Possibly a change made under Utah ownership, so this may be basically the same as the big blue Trusonic coaxial, the 206, but with that more relaxed red surround for LF extension. The basket looks the same. The 206 had one magnet for both drivers; yours looks to be like that.

Trusonic did an 8" and a 12" coaxial mounting their ring radiator tweeters, but I don't know whether they did a 15" like that. I think those had something goitered onto the back.

The 206, with its small divided horn coaxially mounted, was more like the Altec 604 than either of the others, except for the lack of a second magnet.

Using a flashlight you might be able to see enough through the grille cloth to see if there is a horn in there.
    So there is a horn (don't laugh at the widow screen this person had for the grill "cloth"). Searching for coaxial like you suggested I found what I believe to be the same speaker in an old ebay auction although the color is different. The auction claims that the model is 612 BA. Mine also has 612 BA stamped in the metal. The B and A are upper case but the A is much larger than the B. Anyway, I think this clears it up. I dont see any info on that model in the Stephens literature I can find, but I will keep searching. Any further insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information