Thread: Restuffing a pair of 4301e speakers

Restuffing a pair of 4301e speakers

Hi All,

Looking for some ideas/advice. I picked up a slightly beat up pair of 4301E speakers. I cannibalized the nice 116A 8 inchers to put a pair of 4408s that had their 116Hs replaced with generics back to stock. That all worked great.

So now I have these 4301E cabinets with no woofers. The LE25 tweeter domes are pushed in. The built in amps seem to work OK. Nature abhors a vacuum. So what to do? I could wait on finding replacement drivers at a good price and just restore. But it struck me that the best purpose of these speakers might be lug arounds for BBQs or parties. I am open to using modern drivers if someone has suggestions. I started picking through the back stock in the garage of broken toys. I found a pair of NOS LE8ts that might be suitable. But maybe those deserve a finer fate. I also found a box of decent EV 8" Wolverines that might work and it's no great crime to use those in a Frankenstein rig. But what about the tweeters? I have a lot of odd compression drivers around. Renkus Heintz and that sort of thing. Maybe do something econowave? I would have to work out some electronics to deal with a constant directivity horn. Or maybe just traditional horn?

I just remembered I have a bunch of 8330 theater take outs. I could cannibalize a pair of those. They are 3-ways in trapezoidal cabinets used for surrounds. I also have a pair of 8340 2-ways with horns that might be nice except the woofer is a 10". Either of these would probably be a whole system transplant since I think the cross-overs are custom to the configuration. Getting these into the traditional rectangular 4301 cabinets would make them more generally useful than the trapezoidal surround cabinets.

Any fun ideas out there?
    Best,
    John

Hi,
    Call me boring, but my kind of fun idea of what to do would be to restore the 4301e to their full glory. Take the woofers back out of the 4408s (4301e are far more special), since they don't actually belong in there (4408 don't use 116H woofers, but 116H-some-number).
    Restore the tweeters by replacing the dust caps ($5), sand and oil the cabs. Maybe a fresh coat of RAAL blue paint on the baffles, reupholster the grilles in JBL navy blue fabric.
    And don't worry if the veneer or all the corners aren't perfect, just do what you can with them, it's OK if they show some character. Unless they're totally trashed, in which case I'd restore the shape of the cabs first, then veneer with fresh walnut.
    Best regards
    JBL Studio 580 & 590, L26, L40, 4301b

Thread Information