Thread: JBL L212 Amplifier - Low Output?

JBL L212 Amplifier - Low Output?

Hi all

I have had some refurbished L212 for about 8 months, I think it is a great speaker system.

Up until now, I have used a Unison Research Unico SE 140 watt Hybrid Amplifier and it could drive the speakers to VERY loud levels.

It was reasonably dynamic and a good sound.

The amplifier is a good thing but I felt the L212 could do with more.

I purchased a Valve Pre Power - Mystere PA21 and Ca21 that had a retail value of about $8k AUD when new some 5 years ago.

The PA21 power amplifier is about 50 watts with the original KT88 and about 80 with the KT150.

My issue now is this.

I can hear the quality of the amps and I really like it. It gives me a whole new respect for the speakers however the volume control needs to go to 3 o'clock for a reasonable volume.

There does not seem to be a lot of distortion that I can tell which suggests the amp is not struggling at this point but I have never in 25 years had to play a system at 3 oclock.

I can push it up to 5 oclock and it hardens a little.

The volume is not enough by any standards.

Now I do not play music very loud all the time.

I have tinnitus and need to protect myself from further damage but I know these speakers have done great things on other amps and this just does not seem right.

There is no channel imbalance, no issues I can find with the amps.

I wanted to know what the opinions are here as I am a little lost.

I have read a couple of people's reviews where they say they have listened to long term with 30 EL84 watts or even a 5 watts flea powered amp and If this is true then the 80 watts from the KT150 should be perfect for these.

I would be really appreciative of any advice on what could be going on here.

Thanks
    Gareth

The towers' sensitivity is rated at 90 dB 1w 1m, not super efficient, but a pair of big pentodes should be enough. Maybe it would be worthwhile to have a tech check your new electronics. For a field test, you could try them with another set of speakers you know well.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The towers' sensitivity is rated at 90 dB 1w 1m, not super efficient, but a pair of big pentodes should be enough. Maybe it would be worthwhile to have a tech check your new electronics. For a field test, you could try them with another set of speakers you know well.

Thanks Dave

I am trying to find the output voltage of the source and impedance of the pre/pwr to see if there is an issue here also.

I will try some different speakers, I have some Leak Sandwich here I can try,

Cheers

I run my L212 towers with a Jolida JD-502CRC - about 65w/ch with KT88, 85w peaks ...
    Depending on the source, the volume can vary somewhat - digital streaming from my Mac Airport express-> DAC,
    CDs and SACDs from an Oppo disc player, and output from a TT with Stanton 68EEE.
    I would like a bit more output from some sources - King Crimson just needs to be louder, as does most Who albums -
    other stuff is fine as is ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Agree with Dave about having the equipment checked. Obviously, be sure all the specified tubes are installed, and measure well. Previous owners sometimes do crazy things, and sometimes a circuit will work with a similar tube that has reduced gain. Say, replacing a 12at7 with a 12au7 in a driver/gain stage.

The published gain for your preamp is 19db, and the amplifier is 26db. You should not have the volume control turned up to 3:00 with 90db efficient speakers in a "normal" sized room. It would be very loud, and you should notice the distortion. As an example, I have a friend who is using a PP kt-88 amp that has 26db of gain (40 watts per channel) and a passive preamp (0db of gain) with 90db speakers to normal realistic levels (not concert) with the preamp at 2-3:00. His room is 24'x16'x10'

Thread Information