Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4430 review and or critique please

If you go active with an analog crossover you are going to have to use the passive horn compensation built into the 4430 monitor. Unless you go digital none of the analog presets work anywhere near as well.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJewels View Post
    Doing good Martin. Nice to hear from you.

Phase 2 of the project in Xi'an is delayed, still delayed. Not sure when it will resume.

Martin is a JBL fan/aficionado I met while I was working in China. He took me to meet several other people that are JBL fans. I got to listen to some amazing systems there.
    Very nice! are you still in Xi'an or back to U.S?when will you come to Xi'an ?Xi'an is very hot these days,but i can buy you a cold beer
    it is not necessary to add 2123 to 4430,but if you like 2344 horn very much,you can refer to 4341/4344/4344mkii,using 2344 instead of lens
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Unless you go digital none of the analog presets work anywhere near as well.

Rob
    Sorry, I don't follow this part. What analog presets are you referring to?

Thanks!

1audiohack

Thanks for the message. The system says your inbox is full.

Steve

Sorry, I don't follow this part. What analog presets are you referring to?
    There are several analog active crossovers like the JBL M553, Ashly that have a CD preset option to add emphasis on the last two octaves or so to help flatten out the falling response of the driver horn combo. JBLs are set up by horn family so they are aproximations and not a true tailored driver horn solution like the 4430 passive network. Just fine for SR not what you want in a monitor of home listening.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    In no way do I want to derail this thread, so in an effort to contribute to the op's project, and/or ask a stupid question - has anyone done a crossover for the 2235, 2123 and 2344 with 2426?

Yes
    With a 2122H (2123H is similar)

My suggestion at this point is to acquire the 4430 as a base to your ongoing plans.

Get used to them and gain some experience with this type of monitor.

You may not wish to change anything.

If you decide to start on the diy thing and want to use the 2123H l can help you with a passive network or active.
    PM me when you are ready to do that.

FWlW the 2344 bi radial used in the 4430 is far more appropriate than the 2380a as far as home HiFi is concerned.

The 4430 is a ready made solution that is a mature design and a nice entry into a diy loudspeaker if you decide to do that with excellent results. The thing is the network be it passive or active has to be done properly (or not at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    My suggestion at this point is to acquire the 4430 as a base to your ongoing plans.

Get used to them and gain some experience with this type of monitor.

You may not wish to change anything.

If you decide to start on the diy thing and want to use the 2123H l can help you with a passive network or active.
    PM me when you are ready to do that.

FWlW the 2344 bi radial used in the 4430 is far more appropriate than the 2380a as far as home HiFi is concerned.

The 4430 is a ready made solution that is a mature design and a nice entry into a diy loudspeaker if you decide to do that with excellent results. The thing is the network be it passive or active has to be done properly (or not at all).
    Totally agree with you
    The question is Mr.Steve has got 2235,2123H ,2446 and 2380a horn in his hand,What should he do?
    46 lover

Keep the components

Use the 4430 as a point of comparison for any future diy project

Alternatively buy a pair of 2344 bi radials horns and a pair of secondhand 2426 compression drivers and new new D8R2425 diaphragms. The build a ft cu3 box
    And sir the horn on top so he can try out the 2123 or the 2380a horns

The crossover for the 4430 is straight forward to build

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJewels View Post
    My long term plan is to build 3 1/2 way speakers using 2235H/2123H/2446/Truextent Be/2380/2405. This is subject to change but I have all of the drivers excepet the 2123H's.

Short term I am thinking of getting some off the shelf JBLs that have some of these components or have cabinets that will accept some of them.

I ran across a pair of 4430’s which have the 2235H speakers. I can use them as is and then add the higher freq components and use just the woofers. I am looking for a review and/or critique of the 4430’s and perhaps ways to remedy any deficiencies they may have.

I did a search but have not really found anything yet. I will keep digging through the mountain of search results returned but if someone could point me to a tread, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Hi Steve,
    I have understood that you have 2235 bass driver, 2123 midbass, 2446 (Be,Trx) ,2380 horn.
    From my point of view, you can start witn 2235 and 2446&2380 crossed round 800Hz, as JBL have done with 4331/4333, but a kind of UHF (2402/03/04/05) woud be needed due to the rapid attention over 10kHz can be expected from the Be Trx diphragm. If you, really, can not listen the speakers without 2123 you can add it in the way JBL have done on 4344MkII

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post243740

May be some HF boost would be needed adding capapacitor over R10...

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Steve,
    ........but a kind of UHF (2402/03/04/05) woud be needed..

Regards
    Ivica
    As mentioned, I have 2405's.

I also have three pairs of horns.

I did have some large JBL horns, 30" mouth, until they were stolen.

About that time I decided on 2123's for the mid, crossing over at 1,500 or so. This will allow me to experiment with CD's and horns.

It will be fun.

Quite a while back did the same think with an RCF 3 way monitor.

I ended up using the RCF as lower mid range, a 2397 Smith horn on top and a 2405 under the lip. I had Altec woofers and used Crown active crossover.

I soon discovered what piston range accuracy was and replaced the RCF with an Audax high efficiency paper mid cone.
    The 2397 was a big sound but l preferred the 2344 bi radial. It’s great on jazz.

Ultimately l went with the bandwidth limited approach of the big 4 ways.

The trick in the end is to obtain more than a wall of sound with large components in terms of sound stage depth and imaging.

The trick in the end is to obtain more than a wall of sound with large components in terms of sound stage depth and imaging.
    Yes which the 10" 2344 combo seem to do very well.

Rob

I was thinking more about the large format drives & horns and the inevitable desire for more top end. The problem starts on paper and then becomes visual and let’s face it people listen with their vision (according to Toole c Harmon)

I was at a blues festival on the weekend and 10 feet from the stage and you can hear what you really should be hear from a drum kit. My impression is people have become conditioned to unrealistic amounts of HF detail when in fact the accuracy is missing or resolution and dynamics are missing further down near the fundamentals so they turn up the highs?

What l like about the 2344 is it does load down to 1000 hertz and the diffraction works up to 16500 hertz (100 x 100) because it was designed to do that.
    Most of the PT wave guided only load down to 1500-2000 hertz

Do you need a horn below 1000 hertz? No not if you are smart and have the right drivers (ref Geddes)
    Jbl Consumer do it because they have access to horns that are designed to do that. But the newer consumer system and the smaller Pro monitors are crossed over higher.

If you need better with the 2344a put a 1 inch Be Radian driver on it.

I was at a blues festival on the weekend and 10 feet from the stage and you can hear what you really should be hear from a drum kit. My impression is people have become conditioned to unrealistic amounts of HF detail when in fact the accuracy is missing or resolution and dynamics are missing further down near the fundamentals so they turn up the highs?
    Hello Ian

Maybe have to think about that? I couldn't agree more about the lack of resolution and dynamics. I think I would way it more towards the dynamics. I have been doing a lot of small standing room only city shows and if you get in at doors you are right at the stage. Talking about drum kits saw a 3 piece with keyboards, violin, and a rather small drum kit. They were all set-up right at the edge of the stage and that kit was really something. The physical impact was really fun it was almost like you were getting hit. Have never heard any home stereo that can match that intensity.

Rob

Thread Information