Thread: Mono or Stereo

Mono or Stereo

Kindly help. How do I determine if the pressings are mono or stereo in the absence of specific label?

TIA!

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChitoBG View Post
    Kindly help. How do I determine if the pressings are mono or stereo in the absence of specific label?

TIA!
    Listen to the lead vocals! If you only can hear the singer out of one speaker: Mono! If you can hear the lead vocals out of both speakers:Stereo!
    If you stand in front of the stage at an acoustic live concert you hear mono. Take this one for exercises: Beatles, Please please me
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Listen to the lead vocals! If you only can hear the singer out of one speaker: Mono! If you can hear the lead vocals out of both speakers:Stereo!
    backwards

Quote Originally Posted by ChitoBG View Post

TIA!
    Generally. IF it doesn't specify, I'd assume Mono. Also check the matrix. Plus ..check
    discogs.com , a wealth of info.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Backwards? Beatles, Please please me, MONO

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    backwards

Generally. IF it doesn't specify, I'd assume Mono. Also check the matrix. Plus ..check
    discogs.com , a wealth of info.
    Listen to this MONO recording: The lead vocals are audible only out of the left speaker. (Nearly) no lead vocals hearable out of the right speaker! MONO or not MONO?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Listen to this MONO recording: The lead vocals are audible only out of the left speaker. (Nearly) no lead vocals hearable out of the right speaker! MONO or not MONO?
    People also ask
    What is the difference between mono and stereo?

Mono uses one, stereo uses more than one. In monaural sound one single channel is used. It can be reproduced through several speakers, but all speakers are still reproducing the same copy of the signal. In stereophonic sound more channels are used (typically two).

switch your receiver/preamp to MONO and then see what happens
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The question of ChitoBG

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    People also ask
    What is the difference between mono and stereo?

Mono uses one, stereo uses more than one. In monaural sound one single channel is used. It can be reproduced through several speakers, but all speakers are still reproducing the same copy of the signal. In stereophonic sound more channels are used (typically two).

switch your receiver/preamp to MONO and then see what happens

You're right, i only hear MONO, if the receiver/preamp is switched to MONO.
    But if the receiver/preamp is not switched to MONO, but to STEREO then ChitoBG is possibly able to solve his problem. He wants to know, if the pressing is a MONO or a STEREO pressing, if it is not noted on label.

If, in switching a pre-amp from stereo to mono while playing a vinyl disk, the only apparent difference is that the crackles and pops move completely to the center, it's likely a mono pressing (only left/right groove modulation... no vertical). If other voices/instruments/sounds move to the center, then it was likely a stereo (or at least 2 channel) pressing.

Thread Information