Thread: C38 Baron and corner cabinet with JBL speakers

C38 Baron and corner cabinet with JBL speakers

Hi all. Just wanted to share this. I picked these two cabinets up Saturday for $100. A c38 Baron with a JBL D123 in it, and this corner cabinet which I think is a custom built cabinet. I've never seen one like it. Inside the corner cabinet is Tannoy 12" direct radiator speaker, a JBL D131 (404) , a JBL 175 potato masher, and an early version n1200 crossover. I had to rewire the corner cabinet because the wires were so old they broke. I have not touched the crossover, yet. I will save that for a later time. This is my first set of jbl's, and my first set of vintage speakers.
    Name:  20180707_203632 (1).jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  79.3 KB
    Name:  corner speaker.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  60.0 KB

Well welcome to Lansing Heritage! In more ways than one.

That corner cabinet looks good as a TV stand.

I would say you got a great deal on them. I hope you like them.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Very nice! With a corner enclosure, beside tv stand You have a center speaker for home cinema.
    do not surrender never, except when you have to

Thanks. Yes I am thrilled with the purchase. $100 for both was a steal. The cabinets need a little work, but are still in good shape for their age. The C38 has the original legs. The corner cabinet sounds very good. I was surprised by the sound. They blow away my Klipsch kg2's. Here are some pics of the corner unit.
    Name:  Resized_20180708_160013 (1).jpeg
Views: 1183
Size:  67.3 KB
    Name:  Resized_20180707_210651.jpeg
Views: 1120
Size:  90.1 KB
    Name:  Resized_20180707_210606.jpeg
Views: 1109
Size:  95.8 KB
    Name:  Resized_20180708_112427.jpeg
Views: 1140
Size:  76.5 KB

I'm a fan of corner cabs, and your's looks quite nice. Great price, too!

GeeDeeEmm

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I'm a fan of corner cabs, and your's looks quite nice. Great price, too!

GeeDeeEmm

thanks. After doing some research, I found that it is a Brociner back loaded corner horn? or a Brociner folded corner horn? I've seen it both ways, so not sure what the official name of it is. either way it sounds amazing. For anyone into building speakers I would recommend this one. Seems fairly straight forward to build one.
    Name:  BackLoadedCornerHorn.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  117.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesignal View Post
    thanks. After doing some research, I found that it is a Brociner back loaded corner horn? or a Brociner folded corner horn? I've seen it both ways, so not sure what the official name of it is. either way it sounds amazing. For anyone into building speakers I would recommend this one. Seems fairly straight forward to build one.
    Name:  BackLoadedCornerHorn.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  117.6 KB
    Greetings -

FYI. The drawing you provided is that of a Jensen folded corner horn, of which was published in a magazine around 1952. AFAIK, Jensen never put the design into production. The only production version I have seen was that of an Electrovoice cabinet 24 inched wide, with an extended top chamber for some unidentified compliment of high frequency components. The enclosure was empty in the photograph. There is also a drawing that can be found on the internet for a University enclosure based on the Jensen drawing, with an extended chamber for high frequency components.

I built the Jensen a couple of years ago to house the Jensen G610 Triax. I was completely blown away. The bass was tight and articulate, and not a trace of muddiness. Sadly, I did not have available a JBL 130A or 2220 for a listening test. Those two drivers make for excellent horn loaders. For those who like JBL, a pair of E120 would work nicely in that enclosure, or an E130. The volume of the lo-pass chamber nearly matches the volume required for either a pair of E120, or a single E130.

I made my cabinet minus the 'wings', since including them in a corner design would have been redundant. The cabinet then became 24 inches wide, as per the drawing.

The Corner cabinet you have may be a modified version of the drawing you provided, as it appears to be too wide on the face. I fail to see the sense of combining two different manufacturers woofers in the same enclosure. Remember, the positive and negative terminals on the JBL are reversed.

Nice find,

HF

BTW - I have never seen evidence that Victor Brociner designed his own enclosures. He did offer his copy of the Klipschorn, and a slightly modified version of the Lowther TP1 corner horn. He also offered a non-corner loaded "wall horn", but who designed it is anyone's guess. Possibly Stewart Hedgemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Greetings -

FYI. The drawing you provided is that of a Jensen folded corner horn, of which was published in a magazine around 1952. AFAIK, Jensen never put the design into production. The only production version I have seen was that of an Electrovoice cabinet 24 inched wide, with an extended top chamber for some unidentified compliment of high frequency components. The enclosure was empty in the photograph. There is also a drawing that can be found on the internet for a University enclosure based on the Jensen drawing, with an extended chamber for high frequency components.

I built the Jensen a couple of years ago to house the Jensen G610 Triax. I was completely blown away. The bass was tight and articulate, and not a trace of muddiness. Sadly, I did not have available a JBL 130A or 2220 for a listening test. Those two drivers make for excellent horn loaders. For those who like JBL, a pair of E120 would work nicely in that enclosure, or an E130. The volume of the lo-pass chamber nearly matches the volume required for either a pair of E120, or a single E130.

I made my cabinet minus the 'wings', since including them in a corner design would have been redundant. The cabinet then became 24 inches wide, as per the drawing.

The Corner cabinet you have may be a modified version of the drawing you provided, as it appears to be too wide on the face. I fail to see the sense of combining two different manufacturers woofers in the same enclosure. Remember, the positive and negative terminals on the JBL are reversed.

Nice find,

HF

BTW - I have never seen evidence that Victor Brociner designed his own enclosures. He did offer his copy of the Klipschorn, and a slightly modified version of the Lowther TP1 corner horn. He also offered a non-corner loaded "wall horn", but who designed it is anyone's guess. Possibly Stewart Hedgemen.
    Thanks for the info. As you suspected the cabinet I have is larger than the one on the picture, but seems to be engineered the same. I have no idea why the builder of the cabinet installed two different woofers either, other than that's what he had on hand. My suspicion is he had a JBL Baron with the JBL's in it, and just used the parts from that along with the Tannoy when he built this. Unfortunately the owner of the cabinet passed away many years ago. I purchased this from his relatives (grandchildren?) who inherited it. I would have loved to have heard the story behind it.

Thread Information