Thread: JBL replacement berillyum

JBL replacement berillyum

Hello to all.
    I would like to ask your opinion.
    I have read around that it is possible to replace the diaphragm of JBL compression CDs with beryllium truextent materion.
    what results are obtained and how are they compared with the new RADIAN, BMS, 18sound CDs or other famous brands? costs?
    a comparison with EV N / DYM 1 would be very interesting. it has been done ?
    bye thank you

Quote Originally Posted by arivel View Post
    Hello to all.
    I would like to ask your opinion.
    I have read around that it is possible to replace the diaphragm of JBL compression CDs with beryllium truextent materion.
    what results are obtained and how are they compared with the new RADIAN, BMS, 18sound CDs or other famous brands? costs?
    a comparison with EV N / DYM 1 would be very interesting. it has been done ?
    bye thank you
    Hi Arivel,

I have had an opportunity to do some measurements with JBL 4-inch diaphragms CD drives, and from such measurements I have concluded:
    1.using mentioned drivers such as 244x/5x from about 800Hz to not too more over 10kHz, JBL Ti-SL diaphragms would be the best compromise concerning the price and the response. They are very near the mentioned Truextenet Be response, but with the prices 4 to 5 TIMES less.
    2.If using 244x/5x without UHF (over 10kHz) then 2441-AL would be my choice , but it would be better to use them over 1Khz (applying sharp HP filter). May be even 2445-Ti can be used, but it is more 'ringing' response over about 12kHz
    3.I would not suggest to apply Radian AL diaphragm over 10kHz (12kHz), as it start to 'ring' almost as JBL 2446-Ti (ribbed). I have not seen any Radian-AL improvements over JBL 2445-Ti (NOT-ribbed), but as their prices are very similar, using NEW JBL 2445 diaphragm would be my preference.

All of the mentioned experiences are based on , using JBL drivers body such as 2441, 2445, 2446, 2447, 2450, 2450-1.5 (SL), 2451, and some JBL horns (2-inch, and 1.5inc), and one "personally-developed" horn (inspired by DD66k, and 9800 types).

regards
    ivica

I have not see such diaphragm with aquaplas (SL) application. May such ringing would be suppressed.

Its relative ....

I've listened to berylium a fair amount and would say its an excellent upgrade ....

https://www.behringer-electric.de/truextent-berylium/

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I've listened to berylium a fair amount and would say its an excellent upgrade ....

https://www.behringer-electric.de/truextent-berylium/

Richard
    Hi Richard,

I can imagine that JBL 476Be diaphragm would be even better, but its availability and price would be , may be, limitation parameters
    It seems to me that JBL D16R2451SL or JBL D8R2450SL can be get spending round 110 U$D per piece

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...1sl-diaphragm/
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product...0sl-diaphragm/

relative to BeX4008 or BeX4016 are priced about 650 U$D per piece....

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...aphragm-8-ohm/
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product...m-16-ohm-copy/

so ........

regards
    ivica

The 18 Sound is an excellent driver.
    You buy it and it works.

The key is mating it to a suitable horn for your application?

If you need it for domestic home audio Guido’s horn is very good.

Guido has also had success with Radian Be drivers.
    (Btw Radian now have ribbon Hf and uhf drivers)

There are a few very good diy threads on the subject of Be diaphragms in various horns from users in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The 18 Sound is an excellent driver.
    You buy it and it works. The key is mating it to a suitable horn for your application? If you need it for domestic home audio Guido’s horn is very good.
    Guido has also had success with Radian Be drivers. (Btw Radian now have ribbon Hf and uhf drivers).
    There are a few very good diy threads on the subject of Be diaphragms in various horns from users in Europe
    Hi Ian,

I have been dealing with 18-sound 2060A driver (2-inch mouth) connected to 18-sound XR2064 horn.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post368304

If using from (say) 800Hz up to 12kHz, such combo is a good home level of sound comparison to the JBL 244x/5x drivers, but over 12kHz 2060A diaphragm would start to "ring" like mentioned JBL drivers too. If high level of sound is needed, then JBL would be bettter solution, I think.
    May be annular ring radiator diaphragm like JBL D2430K or BMS 4590/92 drivers can be used up to 20kHz without diaphragm 'ringing', but proper horn that can be used from 800Hz up to the 20kHz would be (I think) a problem, especially, if good over-all good dispersion is of importance.

regards
    ivica

My reference was to the model ND4015BE

When you say “ring” l am not sure what you mean?

Subjective statements by individuals are highly personal opinions in my book.

Anyway most men over 50 cannot clinically bear anything much over 10 k hertz particularly if they have own jbls and play loud music ��

Thread Information