Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better than the original

Goldie Zelkowitz, Hold on i'm coming, from 1974 LP, Janus USA, JLS 3060

Also this one (as mentioned in the last post on this thread): just because of the strong female voice of Genya Ravan (=Goldie Zelkowitz) and the powerful horns: Isaac Hayes' "Hold on i'm coming". Ein Feuerwerk.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

I don't exactly know why I got a spontaneous association between Isaac Hayes and Ritchie Havens. Anyway, here's a proto progressive cover of one of his songs that exceeds his own version by far: Carefully, intelligently rearranged, and perfectly performed by Yes, one of the greatest bands ever (at least until the late 1970ies ) for their 2nd album from 1970, still in their original lineup:

Name:  20190408_182012_kl.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  107.3 KB Name:  20190408_181942_kl.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  55.1 KB

Here's a live version without strings and horns, shot by German TV station Radio Bremen, in 1969:

Do you recognize the quotation from William Wyler's The Big Country?

Best regards!

David Bowie & Mick Jagger, Dancing in the street, 1985, 45rpm, EMI Germany

Mit diesen beiden Zappelphilippen geht die Post ab! Sorry, Martha! Sorry Marvin!
    Von David Bowie und Mick Jagger

Im August 1985 veröffentlichten David Bowie und Mick Jagger ihre Version von Dancing in the Street, welche sich in Ländern wie Großbritannien, Irland und Australien zu einem Nummer-eins-Hit entwickelte. Ursprünglich sollte das Lied von Bowie beim Live Aid im Wembley-Stadion und von Jagger im JFK-Stadion aufgeführt werden, doch aufgrund der um eine halbe Sekunde verzögerten Satellitenübertragung ließ sich dies nicht umsetzen. Stattdessen nahm das Duo den Song im Juni 1985 in den Abbey Road Studios auf. Es war Bowies letzter Nummer-eins-Hit. (Wikipedia)

OK: Tokyo, South America, Australia, France, Germany, UK, Africa...
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Well, I'd prefer the original by Martha & The Vandellas, 'cause it's got much more soul...

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    performed by Yes, one of the greatest bands ever
    KP; We agree often, but not in this case. Maybe their cannon is great , but they are one band that I actively turn off. Maybe it was too much exposure during their popular time. ?

I pickup a lot of records for my son's LP business. He told me "don't send any more YES". (I was clearing out my holding of them, since they're never played here). He said "they don't sell"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Al Kooper & Stephen Stills: Season of the witch, 1968

The 1968 version of Donovan's "Season of the witch": 11' 07" of pure pleasure. Much more spellbinding than the original. Incorrectly this track is added to this 1989 Italian Mike Bloomfield compilation club edition, because it was Stephen Stills who contributed the guitars. Warm hammond sound. Fantastic guitar licks. Superb session. Music history at its best...

It's also on the Super Session live album by Bloomfield/Cooper/Stills.

Best regards!

Supersession

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    It's also on the Super Session live album by Bloomfield/Cooper/Stills.

Best regards!
    There are 2 deficits on the "Live adventures of Bloomfield and Kooper": Stephen Stills is missing. The vocals are a flaw.

The songs of Russ Ballard SOLO

The songs of Russ Ballard (except of those he recorded with Argent) were always better in versions of other musicians or productions. The reason? Great songs, superb guitar work, but an inexpressive voice, inappropriate cover art, lack of a fructifying producer....

Carole King wrote many really great songs that were performed by herself and many other artists. Her own version of It Might As Well Rain Until September was way outperformed by Helen Shapiro. Listen to her deep, intense, soulful, vibrant voice, not to compare with Carole's:

Sorry, I don't own any record of her, so I had to resort to this 1960ies broadcast by a German TV station (most probably Radio Bremen's Beat-Club series), where she just lip-synchs to the studio recording.

Best regards!

Edit: Just saw that this was done by Hessische Rundfunk for the Beat, Beat, Beat! TV series.

Better than the original ??

we mostly seem to enjoy LZ

Dread Zeppelin made some very good modified LZ covers, as did Great White.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_Zeppelin

Dread Zeppelin is an American band best known for performing the songs of Led Zeppelin in a reggae style as sung by a 300-pound (140 kg) Las Vegas Elvis impersonator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pg-IVRSOEQ

personnel consisted of: Jah Paul Jo, Ed Zeppelin, Carl Jah, Put-Mon, Charlie Haj, Tortelvis

GW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAerqUwADe8

guess this post could also go in the "Humor in Music" thread. ?

this may be the original ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M

if so, LZ certainly did improve on it.

Season Of The Witch

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    The 1968 version of Donovan's "Season of the witch": 11' 07" of pure pleasure. Much more spellbinding than the original. Incorrectly this track is added to this 1989 Italian Mike Bloomfield compilation club edition, because it was Stephen Stills who contributed the guitars. Warm hammond sound. Fantastic guitar licks. Superb session. Music history at its best...
    The version that completely blows me away is by Dr John (Mac Rebennack) and the Blues Brothers Band on the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack. It is a "play it loud" piece. I do realize Dr John is not everyone's cup of tea. By the way, while known for his piano playing Rebennack was a guitar player first. He still plays fine guitar but his career as such was ended by a gunshot wound to his hand when he was young. I have no idea who plays guitar in this recording. Could be Steve Cropper and maybe someone else too.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Dread Zeppelin is an American band best known for performing the songs of Led Zeppelin in a reggae style as sung by a 300-pound (140 kg) Las Vegas Elvis impersonator.
    I've bought their 1st (?) CD Un-Led-Ed in about 1990. Yes, it is quite amazing !

The best cover of any LZ song, though, imho was done by Frank Zappa, who played Stairway To Heaven during his 1988 Broadway The Hard Way tour. I've attended his show at Wuerzburg, Germany, on Friday 04-21-1988. It was the most amazing show of any artist that I ever enjoyed, btw. I'm quite sure that exactly this Stairway To Heaven performance was recorded and published on The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life double CD in 1991 .

Best regards!

Humor thread

[QUOTE=SEAWOLF97;422089].
    we mostly seem to enjoy LZ

Dread Zeppelin made some very good modified LZ covers, as did Great White.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_Zeppelin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pg-IVRSOEQ

personnel consisted of: Jah Paul Jo, Ed Zeppelin, Carl Jah, Put-Mon, Charlie Haj, Tortelvis

GW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAerqUwADe8

guess this post could also go in the "Humor in Music" thread. ?

Yes it is already. Look at my post from 5-13-18.
    The best Led Zeppelin-cover-band. Their version of "Your time is gonna come" is better than the original (Cit. Robert Plant). And it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Look at my post from 5-13-18.
    instead of sending readers to a certain dated post, you can click on that
    post number and get a URL for that post , then paste it into the current text. As I just did for this post

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post422099

MUCH easier for a reader.

Thread Information