Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better than the original

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Note Julie's great voice (which by far is superior than Bob's) and the keyboard work of Hammond Merlin Brian Auger
    Best regards!
    Julie is really outstanding on "Light My Fire" from StreetNoise.

MacArthur Park is a song by Jim Webb. It's original version, recorded by Richard Harris, has been selected as the worst song of all times in a poll in 1992.
    Best regards!
    yes, MacArthur Park is awful. In the polls that I've seen, HONEY by Bobby Goldsboro is usually rated as the worst ever. guess it's a race to the bottom ??

Personally, I'd put Revolution #9 by the Beatles on that list, plus George's "Wonderwall" and of course anything by Yoko.

Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...=can%27t+stand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_%...dsboro_song%29

"Honey", also known as "Honey (I Miss You)", is a song written by Bobby Russell. Then he gave it to American singer Bobby Goldsboro who recorded it for his tenth album Honey. The song's protagonist mourns his deceased lover, beginning with him looking at a tree in their garden, remembering "it was just a twig" on the day that they planted it together, then reflecting on their relationship before turning to the day "the angels came."

Reception

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the song frequently appears on "worst songs of all-time" lists, and in April 2006, Todd Leopold of CNN named it the "Worst Song of All Time".[1]

or even the legendary .."MacArthur Park"
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...19&do=editpost

"Someone left the cake out in the rain
    I don't think that I can take it
    'cause it took so long to bake it
    And I'll never have that recipe again... Oh, no!"

as bad as the richard Harris version of "MacArthur Park" is ... today I ran across The Ray Charles Singers album of that name, decided to pass on it
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Here's another one by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity that is better by far than Donovan Leitch's version, who also wrote it. Note Julie's stunning vocals and Brian's superb Hammond organ work in Seasons Of The Witch!

Name:  20190324_134311_kl.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  52.6 KB

Here's a even better live version, recorder and broadcast by a German TV station:

Season Of The Witch has been covered multiple times. Another remarkable version, yet in another key, was done by Al Cooper, Mike Bloomfield and Stephen Stills for their Supersessions album.

Best regards!

Light My Fire

Here's another one by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity that is better by far than Donovan Leitch's version, who also wrote it. Note Julie's stunning vocals and Brian's superb Hammond organ work in Seasons Of The Witch!

Name:  20190324_134311_kl.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  52.6 KB

Here's a even better live version, recorder and broadcast by a German TV station:

Season Of The Witch has been covered multiple times. Another remarkable version, yet in another key, was done by Al Cooper, Mike Bloomfield and Stephen Stills for their Supersessions album.

Best regards!
    What about the cover of The Door's "Light my fire" by Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll ?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Right, that's also very cool! Had the intention to add it later, just to avoid boredom ! But didn't Seawolf mention it yet?

Best regards!

Fire or fire?

Right, that's also very cool! Had the intention to add it later, just to avoid boredom ! But didn't Seawolf mention it yet?

Best regards!
    There are different types of fire. Sometimes we may enjoy the pyrotechnics, sometimes we like to sit near the chimney fire with a glass of wine.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

This holds very true in this case! I also couldn't - and wouldn't - decide whether The Doors' original is better or worse than Julie Driscoll's/Brian Auger's.

Btw, I'm pleased to see that you've got the same double album as me . I like every song on it. My destinctive favourite is Truth, though, from the original album Second Wind, and with Alex Ligertwood on vocals.

Best regards!

This holds very true in this case! I also couldn't - and wouldn't - decide whether The Doors' original is better or worse than Julie Driscoll's/Brian Auger's.
    LMF , with Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger

https://youtu.be/JBij9_ar6uM

Yes! Yes! Yes! Close your eyes and listen to this piece of wonderful music with full concentration! Julie's impressive voice, combined with Brian's distinctive work at the Hammond - supposedly - C3 organ, hard to beat! In this track Brian makes use of almost any possibility his Hammond offers, even without a Leslie speaker cabinet. Do you hear the deliberate tone bendings at the beginning (by switching the organ off and on repeatedly, hence decelerating and accelerating the tone wheel generator's speed)? Then listen to this cool, jazzy organ solo. Fusion at it's best! At the end he sets the climax by gently pulling all drawbars out, one after the other, simultaneously throttling up with the swell pedal, and finally he throws the chorus vibrato switch! It's so very thrilling!

Anyway, hard to tell which version is »better«, as the original yet is a signature rock tune.

Best regards!

Anyway, hard to tell which version is »better«, as the original yet is a signature rock tune.

Best regards!
    I saw The Doors do it live (1968) .... they were lousy in concert, tho their first 2 studio albums are on my DID list.

BUT the BA/JD version sure is close, maybe better in different ways.

Note Julie's great voice (which by far is superior than Bob's )
    mine my even be better than BD's ??

Best regards!
    Julie Driscoll - Season Of The Witch (1968)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKZPEleI-U

nice coat

What really annoys me in videos like this one is that we hear the studio version (from the album Open), while the band was just mimicking.

Best regards!

What really annoys me in videos like this one is that we hear the studio version (from the album Open), while the band was just mimicking.

Best regards!
    Lip Syncing is pretty normal on US TV and live events.

It's really funny at these live shows when there is an audio malfunction
    and the music stops and then watch them try to recover.

another SOTW

Brian Auger's Oblivion Express with Jorma Kaukonen - Season of the Witch - Live at Fur Peace Ranch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bbokDS5X4

Who's the singer in this video? Isit Alex Ligertwood? What a great voice!

It's really funny at these live shows when there is an audio malfunction
    and the music stops and then watch them try to recover.
    Yes, I think we all remember those weird Milli Vanilli lipsyncers from the 1990ies, har har!

Best regards!

Here is an old 2008 post that I made from VN on vacation ...The "Hey Joe" mentioned is a fine reinterpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    was completely surreal today...

we left this morning from Phan Thiet heading north in a mercedes sprinter to the Cham museum (8th century stuff) and switched into an old Daewoo bus near Phan Rang....

So I put on the pod and was catching CCR ( run thru the jungle, born on the bayou, proud mary) as this bus was bouncing along a lane and a half wide road as the driver was weaving and darting thru groups of pastel clad schoolgirls on bicycles.
    We turned and headed up the mountains 12 percent grade from sea level to mile high central highlands with Martin Modesky and Wood jazz fusion version of Hey Joe.....was just in a huge time warp and everything just incongruous (sp).
    THe bus was just making it and the driver was doing 1 to 2 to 1's all the way up . I think he was so happy to make it that he did a victory lap around the town when we got here....as I was listening to CCR's "Graveyard Train"

Goldie Zelkowitz, Whipping Post, from 1974 LP, Janus USA, JLS 3060

Greg Allman's "Whipping Post". Just because of these incredibly strong female vocals and the horns. Goldie Zelkowitz is Genya Ravan. Genyal!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information