Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than the original

Better than the original

Which cover versions are better than the original recordings? Argumentation?
    As example: Sarah Jane Morris' 1989 version of Billy Paul's 1972 hit "Me and Mrs Jones" because of her low vocal range. It attained cult status as the BBC banned it for its lesbian implications.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Johnny Cash

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...nails-20140912

'One' (U2)

Cash added signature gravitas to U2's mega ballad when he cut the song for 2000's American III: Solitary Man. A spare, acoustic arrangement, Cash's version finds him speak-singing the lyrics, infusing them with a vitriol Bono could never muster. The line "did I disappoint you, or leave a bad taste in your mouth?" is downright indignant.

Cash's most famous cover, recognized by MTV for its haunting music video, "Hurt" has become synonymous with the Country Music Hall of Famer's final days. Frail, hollow-eyed and shaking in the video, those same tremors are felt in his vocal delivery. It is the sound of resignation.

https://youtu.be/vt1Pwfnh5pc
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Steve Miller, Filthy McNasty, 1988, Capitol Germany, 20 2877 7

The most popular version IMHO of Horace Silver's composition comes from the gangster of love. Produced by space cowboy Ben Sidran. Sax by Bobby Malach.
    This version is all good clean fun but for the Jazz admirer not better than the original.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

The Beatles' version of "Twist and Shout" is the definitive version of that song, quite a bit better than the original.

Cheap Trick's version of "Ain't That a Shame" is also better than the original, although it was based on John Lennon's 1975 cover version rather than on Fats Domino's.

I've never seen a challenge easier to comment on than this topic. "My Favorite Things" covered by John Coltrane with a soprano sax masterpiece.

Name:  My Favorite Things cover.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  96.1 KB
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

+1 There Clark, one of my favorite covers by Coltrane, McCoy Tyner is sublime on this cover as well, I dont think it would be as incredible without his contribution.
    Just Play Music.

Young Man Blues

While I like Mose Allison's original I really like The Who's version from The Kids Are Alright (or any other of their live versions), I am partial to The Who so...
    Just Play Music.

Rolling Stones, Harlem Shuffle, 1986, Rolling Stones Records, Holland, A 6864

Because of the cover art work: Kool Kat Club!

Jimi Hendrix, All along the watchtower, 1968

Will there ever be a better version than this one? A golden great....

Johnny Winter, Let It Bleed, 1973 from LP "Still Alive And Well"

Listen to the outro of "Let it bleed" by Johnny Winter: "Goddamnit, did that get it, or what?"
    It did, IMHO.

Dada, Last Time 1970

Interesting version of Jagger/Richards "Last Time". Psychedlic version with powerful vocals by "Elkie Brooks". Dada?

Jimmy James And The Vagabonds, Good Day Sunshine, 1968

Better than the original by The Beatles? Not possible? Listen to this version of "Good day sunshine" by Jimmy James and the Vagabonds, produced by John Schroeder for Pye Records. Slow (as possible)version, powerful harmonies of women vocals, fat horns, big orchestra and everything. Phil Chen played the guitar solos and fills. This is not rubber soul...

Babe Ruth, Black Dog, 1972

Chilling version of Jesse Winchester's original "Black dog", because of the twin guitars by Alan Shacklock, the dramatic vocals by Janita Haan and the piano solo.

Whose memory serves him well enough to remember that This Wheel's On Fire was written and originally recorded by Bob Dylan? Well, the version of Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and The Trinity version was very popular in the psychedelic summer of love year 1967. Note Julie's great voice (which by far is superior than Bob's) and the keyboard work of Hammond Merlin Brian Auger:

Name:  20190324_124357_kl.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  118.9 KB Name:  20190324_124337_kl.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  52.6 KB

Best regards!

MacArthur Park is a song by Jim Webb. It's original version, recorded by Richard Harris, has been selected as the worst song of all times in a poll in 1992. In 1972 it was recorded by Scottish band Beggars Opera for their 3rd album, Pathfinder. Note the excellent keyboard work of then 21 years young Alan Park, who also had rearranged this song and turned it into a little art rock gem. Please forget that unbearable 1978 disco verson by Donna Summer!

Who wants to leave his cake out in the rain?

Name:  20190324_120012_kl.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  124.8 KB Name:  20190324_121930_kl.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  71.6 KB

Best regards!

Thread Information