Thread: My Studio 590 setup

My Studio 590 setup

For the first time in 10 years I have a traditional stereo setup. Turnable is Technics, amps are GAS.

These are the first conventional speakers I ever bought. All previous speakers have been DIY.

The room is very small, good listening level is about 10 watts. This is very positive since they can be driven with a small tube amps successfully.

I am pleasantly surprised of the quality of these speakers, but they cannot compete with my active 3-way setup.

I would like to try to get my hands on a pair of JBL consumer/monitor speakers which can match my active system. Feel free to suggest upgrades to the 590.

Mårten
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    For the first time in 10 years I have a traditional stereo setup. Turnable is Technics, amps are GAS.

These are the first conventional speakers I ever bought. All previous speakers have been DIY.

The room is very small, good listening level is about 10 watts. This is very positive since they can be driven with a small tube amps successfully.

I am pleasantly surprised of the quality of these speakers, but they cannot compete with my active 3-way setup.

I would like to try to get my hands on a pair of JBL consumer/monitor speakers which can match my active system. Feel free to suggest upgrades to the 590.

Mårten
    Thats a great little set up, those jbl’ Punch well above there weight and the SL 1200 is a great table nice work.

Lovely set up!

I would suggest however that any change in speakers in that room would be a waste of time and money. That appears to be your shop, where nothing is ideal; speaker placement, listening position, acoustic treatment etc.

Speaker placement

Studio 590 are wonderful modern JBLs. Your small room appears to have reflective surfaces, which can muddy the sound, and speaker placement changes could help, toe in, for instance, drapes and rugs....give us a drawing of the floor plan if you want suggestions. Even small placement changes can make a dif, and critical listening to these will probably be fun and productive.

It is not my shop :-). The drill is there because I made some holes in the back of the furniture. The speaker is there because I didn't trust the old GAS amp with new speakers. I was just too happy to get it all hooked up to tidy.

The room is a porch. Since I live in the cold north it has windows. So large windows on 3 sides. I will only use it from april to october.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by more10; 06-18-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added picture

Thanks for replies.

I choose the placement on the longer wall to avoid reflections from side walls.

Bass is pretty firm. Midrange is a bit muddy. Treble is just fine. Imaging is not perfect.

I will probably pass these on to my brother when it is time to pack up for winter. I will try to get something else for next summer :-)

Thread Information