Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kenrick Sound Post

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi,

Something new for me:
    "he calls the 4345 "impressively large but conventional studio monitors with a 15 inch woofer,"
    that JBL 2245H driver is 15inch woofer. I believe that a kind of measurements error of the woofer diameter have been happened, or author glasses are wrong.
    Not to mention 4345 substantial bass reproduction.
    And he totally missed the UHF driver, or the website editor deemed it unnecessary, or incorrect! Can't always blame the author. It's the editor's job to fact-check.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote “The sound from the JBLs did not sound like anything special. They did not have the transparency we have come to expect from high-end loudspeakers. The PMC MB2S monitor speakers I heard on Touraj Moghaddam’s Vertere office system were much more transparent and detailed. But the JBLs did sound warm and natural.

My wife agreed that the JBLs did not sound like anything special. She said that their sound did not draw her in or “hug her” in the the way the sound from the Gryphon Pendragons enveloped her.

Neither of us found the JBLs emotionally engaging. Their lack of sound-staging may well have been due to how crowded with other speakers is the Kenrick showroom. The JBLs were right in front of other speakers, and they were flanked on the left side and the right side by other speakers as well.”

Okay. I didn’t expect any comments but my take is this.

I think we can right that off as a one off review.

I have done some investigation and it appears Kenji has been busy on the R&R front.

Namely in the use of Finemet cut core tapped inductors (nanocrystalline soft magnetic material) and custom aluminium diaphragms.

The Finemet inductor are not new but the application to vintage loudspeaker crossovers is interesting. Looking at the schematic the circuit has been re oriented so the high pass inductor is now a tapped auto transformer to attenuate the signal. A range ballast resistors are switched as well.

The idea is a lower source impedance to the drivers. The benefit is that it helps control
    the diaphragm. A number of factors influence just how beneficial this might be including the amount of attenuation and the driver characteristics. The filters still use series capacitors so perhaps the transformer helps in the crossover region?

Does this mitigate the passive crossover issues in the 4345? In the 4345 designers post the issue of the woofer/box motional impedance giving rise to passive gain around 100 hertz wound need to be evaluated. The 10 inch mid driver motional impedance due to its resonance in the dog box impacts on the voltage drive of the high pass crossover. That would also need to be evaluated. The only way to do this is run an voltage drive sweep at woofer and mid driver(s) terminals. Perhaps Kenji can validate this test.

The woofer filter also uses the Finemet inductor and is a low dcr type. I noted there appears provision for Biamping at least on the schematic.

Does this help the horn and slot radiator? The designer has previously mentioned a diy solution for the 2405.

If you belong to the market segment that is not willing or interested in Biamping this approach maybe of interest. If space is a problem as it possibly might be in a Japanese home then this is a solution. But it comes at a considerable cost at over US$10,000.

Presumably Kenji is appealing to that market segment or his search of the perfect active is still a work in progress crossover. These custom crossovers are also being used in the 4428 and other systems.

The diaphragms include tangential and Mylar surrounds in aluminium

What does this mean to you? If you are already Biamping nothing changes. You have the benefit of a direct connection to the power amps. You can also turn the mid Lpad up full and experience greater dynamic headroom. Most of you don’t cruise at 3 Watts because it’s not fun and these systems are designed to approach live sound levels. So Biamping is a win and it always will be. If you have to downsize or the waf becomes a problem then Kenji’s custom crossovers could be your saviour.

I hope this post answers a few questions and restores a sense of civility and unity that we all enjoy.

Thread Information