Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Binding Posts on 250Ti

Thank you Ian,a very informative thread to be sure...I now know this whole crossover thing is way above my pay grade

Quote Originally Posted by bradster56 View Post
    Thank you Ian,a very informative thread to be sure...
    his link also had pics that should answer your Q about binding posts soldered to xover or not
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'm realizing these are issues are beyond my personal involvement and and I doubt I can find someone qualified who makes house calls LOL! No way I want to lug these brutes to a shop or an individual even if I could locate one within a reasonable distance to work on these babies...

Close up of the back-side of binding posts. Looks like a 3/8" nut. Taking them out would require you to unsolder the wires. If loose, they should only turn a few times as the wires will wrap around until....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial...My stock posts are very tight indeed.. thought changing the binding posts to a more audiophile version would be less complicated but so goes life..Remove the woofer,then the crossover board,unsolder the existing posts,solder the new posts (Long or short posts needed?) and hope everything fits perfectly (Doubtful) A no-can-do with my skills Now if I can get someone to make a house call i'll stock the fridge with their favorite beer (or beverage of their choosing) I may even throw in some cash

There has to be someone in your region surely?

Okay this is a way of validation of the money and effort

Run a cable through a port and solder to the spade connector or the Jbl binding post or the pcb.

Ask a friend to help do a double blind test to compare the external cable to the internal cable connection with the Jbl binding post.

If you can detect a positive change then you have the green light.

If not shelve the idea.

My suggestion having messed with these types of issues over the years is no one improvement will do it. You need to look critically at what else is relevant to the quality of the signal getting to the drivers. I refer to it as a systems approach.

My suggestion is build or get help to build a charge coupled network. That will impact in a positive way and make putting in better posts more worthwhile. I would build a board for each filter and run a separate cable from the amp for each filter. The crossover network could be external just to annoy your wife but it would be a conversation piece

A good post is about a good conductor electrically and sufficient surface area and contact pressure to pass the current. I like Cardas posts. Use quality ofc cable of appropriate gauge.

There is extra potential in those L250 so it’s something to consider even in the long term. All the top Jbl executives had the L250 for a reason.

Cardas make some good value posts and plates btw.

Now if I can get someone to make a house call i'll stock the fridge with their favorite beer (or beverage of their choosing) I may even throw in some cash
    Somehow I think your time (and money?) might be better spent stocking the fridge, inviting friends over . . . and listening to some music!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

then (remove) the crossover board
    nobody said that op is needed... IF you look at the pics I posted, the posts backsides are easily accessible after removing the LF driver. soldering wire off and back on is super EZ . Get a cheap s.iron and practice on some junk electronics ... it's a lifetime useful skill.

I certainly understand that upgrading the binding posts might very well NOT result in an audible improvement...I just like to upgrade whenever possible...Audiophile fuses,Upgraded power cords,and lots of other tweeks are part of my reason for living Messing with crossover is not for me at this point I just wanna rock these JBL's!

I understand the joys of submitting to eye candy and the placebo that follows.

Cryo treatment of power reciprocals, fuses ect is pure snake oil imho.

It’s a bit like paying a thousand dollars for chrome plated 2307 horns. But it does not make a scape of difference to what you hear.

It sounds like a conversation to reflect on over at AK.

...I just like to upgrade whenever possible...Audiophile fuses,Upgraded power cords,and lots of other tweeks are part of my reason for living
    Here's a site that can be a new part of your reason for living

http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct.html

I can definitely say after 48 years of buying and selling audio equipment that tweeks:

A) Have no effect

B) Have some effect

C) Have a large effect

I can definitely say after 48 years of buying and selling audio equipment that tweeks:

A) Have no effect

B) Have some effect

C) Have a large effect
    Agreed, and sometimes B and C are a negative effect.

I can appreciate beautifully made binding posts and beautifully made wristwatches. Typically neither of these offer a performance upgrade to the more pedestrian variants, but they can still be a joy to see and use.

Widget

About deteriorating Foam on 044Ti Fix

Sad but true: the foam behind the dome of the 044ti tweeter has deteriorated which makes them overly bright, lacking detail or ‘harsh’

And you can’t do anything about it because unfortunately, the JBL 044Ti diaphragms are aligned & “glued” at the factory.

Some people had said that they removed the diaphragm but I’ll not try to force it out to replace the damper pad…..

I suggest that you put your tweeter attenuator bus bar on a lower setting.

Cheers,
    VSN

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Your HF's are old enough that I almost guarantee that the foam plug is rotted. A normal problem
    with 044's and 044Ti's.
    No problems with the tweeters...Nice clean extended highs....
    Sad but true: the foam behind the dome of the 044ti tweeter has deteriorated which makes them overly bright, lacking detail or ‘harsh’

And you can’t do anything about it because unfortunately, the JBL 044Ti diaphragms are aligned & “glued” at the factory.

Some people had said that they removed the diaphragm but I’ll not try to force it out to replace the damper pad…..

I suggest that you put your tweeter attenuator bus bar on a lower setting.

Cheers,
    VSN
    yes or no, in or out, are they perfect or not ? make up your mind.
    who is VSN ? He seems "full of it"

"lacking detail" corrected by "put your tweeter attenuator bus bar on a lower setting"

Thread Information