Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    From Sen's Hi-Fi/Audiophile Headphones category, Canadian retail prices seen (plus taxes) for 600 series models :

HD 600 $530.
    HD 650 $650.
    HD 660 S $680.
    HD 660 S Apogee $870.
    HDVA 600 $1,900.

Don't use phones as much as you do, usually prefer listening to speakers, use cans mostly when need to monitor something. My frequent but short or occasionally longer use don't justify such expense. Regards,

Richard
    guess you didn't follow my link. DELIVERED price is.......

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones
    $195

read through to see why it's model number is 6XX rather than 650.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennhe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Tom,

Did have a quick read of your link.

Don't take me wrong. I DO appreciate your infos, efforts and posts on helping.

I don't dispute the Sen is a great deal for US folks, but for a Canadian purchase in the USA its a more nuanced picture, though it remains a somewhat nice offer, but definitely much more expensive for me than you.

DELIVERED free to USA, Free returns in USA, that's indicated right on the Web page Tom. NOT Canada. Drop indicates being in San Francisco, about 5-6,000 KM from me, this impacts shipping cost, not included.

Here's a taste of Canadian life re US purchases on the Web:

Bank currency conversion rate from CAD to USD add 35% to cost at friday's rate (making a nice profit) ;

Bank's here who issue credit cards also apply a currency conversion fee on Visa/MC add 2.5% (again $);

Canadian sales taxes applicable even on a foreign purchase add 15% here, not on lower USD amount, but rather on USD converted to higher CAD amount leading to 35% larger tax number! They're quite clever. Then adding insult to injury, Postman collecting CDN taxes cash at the door to get the package, adds another $10. tax collection fee called "handling";

My recent experiences with credit card purchases in US are that Pay Pal processing of Visa/MC adds 3%;

Shipping cost, which I estimate at $40-50. also has to be paid in USD, so add the above percentages on it too.

Bottom line, from a quick calculation, I estimate $370. CAD or so for those seemingly $195. headphones, assuming only $40.US shipping, on which I haven't applied taxes yet since not sure if they really apply to that amount. Not the same bargain anymore when all is in. Then I consider my headphone usage mentioned before which doesn't really justify higher cost cans as much as your own use. Nice, but they'd be hanging most of the time.

There might be duties to pay also at the CDN border since the HD 6XX are made in Romania, not in US. Goods MADE in the following three countries cross such borders duty/tax free, with some exceptions. The previous North American Free Trade Agreement between US/Canada had a $20. limit on US purchases to be duty/tax free. The newer USMC (US/Mexico/Canada) agreement increased that duty/tax free limit to a big $40.!!! LOL, Clearly CDN Govts idea is to deter us from buying south of the border...

We got nailed at least four times with the above "scam", one time recently not so because the cost of the US purchase was just under the $40. radar at $38.95 (refoam kit from Simply Speakers).

Finally, there's NO Canadian warranty on US purchased goods, have to ship it back to the US at consumer expense for service, if need be. Canadian audio distributors (e.g. Sennheiser Canada) DON'T usually honor US warranties again to prevent Canadians from shopping in the USA: you either ship to US vendor/service center for warranty service or pay. EDIT: But distributors here do apply manufacturer's warranty for things purchased from an authorized Canadian dealer.

Therefore its not a lack of interest from my part on your interesting suggestion(s), but reality is what it is: purchase from the US only when I have to since we're getting ripped-off from Canada side. Best Regards,

Richard

well, that story just about kills buying anything from the USA

I do hear stories (even here on LHF) of Canadians buying , having shipped to USA (either a friend or dropbox) and either being reshipped or picked up and carried in.

Don't know what I'd do in your shoes, but there do seem to be a lot of Audiophiles
    in Canada , they must have found a solution

)only a little OT( ... I drove from Portland to Tsawwassen to buy my 250Ti's , couldn't find them available anywhere else on the WC. (and now I barely use them )

Tom,

Solutions? There's no magic, forget it.

The more shopping moves to the Internet the more brick & mortar stores put pressure on Govts to collect taxes from Web sales, and the more Web sales will effectively be taxed in the future, that's inevitable. Govts lose tax revenues from conventional stores, too much is at stake when not taxing Web sales.

Also there's nothing one can do about different currencies having different values, but wait for it to go up...

Shopping in jurisdictions with lower tax rate is about all one can do, other than purchasing used gear which is often not taxable when its a transaction between individuals.

Shopping lower tax rate is nice but if to get that you have to deal with a vendor much further away then this may cause the shipping cost to be higher, so need to put that in the equation too (TX saved vs shipment $).

Many things that cross the border are deep discounted items, like Black Friday Sales, often lower quality throw away type things, that consumers view as "it will last the time it lasts" and for money paid it may not be worth paying a fair amount to a repair shop to have it fixed, the device ends in the garbage or recycling...

BTW Read previously in the newspaper the US Supreme Court has reversed a 1992 ruling, and decided (June 2018) that States are allowed to tax Internet purchases, so taxes on Internet sales are coming your way too...

As for your low use 250ti's, well its not really a surprise considering you're a headphone man. I like mine too for my use (still no news re HD 559), but I usually prefer listening to music on speakers in a room.

I'll be changing subject soon since that one on taxes isn't good for my blood pressure, lol. A few LP test records and special effects have resurfaced in my record boxes: Shure, Direct-to-disc, Mobile Fidelity, etc. could be interesting. Regards,

Richard

P.S. I'm not a robot... yet, lol

As for your low use 250ti's, well its not really a surprise considering you're a headphone man. I like mine too for my use (still no news re HD 559), but I usually prefer listening to music on speakers in a room.
    the 250 usage is not affected by the headphone usage. The living room (at the far opposite end of the house) has the 250's , and a demo system with ESS's attached and the big BGW system with Walsh F2's. I'm just not out there much. Contrary to most US homes, there is NO TV in the LR, that room now mainly supports the woodstove. I have my TV, she has hers, no conflicts.

The old family room (now bedroom) is at the other end and has the big Adcom a/d/s system and the 120Ti's run by 130wpc amp by the main computer. So either streaming, itunes or the TT feed those. They get the most usage.

Tom,

Since you mention the omni Walsh F2 (never heard it) that brings a WOW! souvenir back to mind from the old days (late seventies or so).

The most spectacular speaker demo I heard in my life was a pair of British omni Radford Studio 360 and a pair of Sonab omni (from Sweden), don't remember model number for this one but it was the larger Sonab. Heard each pair for a short time, then both pairs together for a somewhat longer time: Jaw dropping.

Took place in a relatively large dealer demo room with me standing in the middle of it. Totally surrounded by nice clear sound coming from every direction. Single event, never heard anything like that again... Anyhow definitely could not have afforded such a setup. However, its shortly after I bought the 1977 Neil Diamond LP he played for the demo and kept it, though not a fan of him , but looking at the list of instruments left and right on the jacket says it all, its almost a whole symphonic orchestra! Well made & good sounding (jacket pic).

Went to that store many times to purchase mostly small audio stuff (headphones, cart, stylus, etc.). One day there were no other customers in store at the time so the rep said come I want you to listen to something. These were the "thing". Didn't regret a minute of the listening session. Its printed in my memory forever.

Still remember store name (long gone), rep name but just can't remember which amps powered these speakers my focus was on sound. Maybe Phase Linear?? since these were popular at the time and he sold that brand among many others though, plus the Radfords may not have been very efficient? (like the Walsh).

Liked the a/d/s, do you have a pic of yours with grille off? If I remember well Braun in Germany had some similar speakers or ADS got drivers from Braun? Seems there was some form of connection between ADS & Braun? Regards,

Richard

Name:  IMG_1036.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  63.9 KB

Liked the a/d/s, do you have a pic of yours with grille off? If I remember well Braun in Germany had some similar speakers or ADS got drivers from Braun? Seems there was some form of connection between ADS & Braun? Regards,
    you are correct abt the a/d/s & Braun driver connection , in addition ..the cabs were made by a furniture manufacturer in Germany*. The L-1290/2 has twin 8's and can produce great amounts of bass ... there is a compartment in the rear for their energizer amp to power one of the LF's if so desired ... very sweet mids & HF ...cast alloy baskets.

(won't relay the purchase details ... you would )

(I replaced my L-7's with these as they were just so much more musical )

* if you look very closely, the cabs actually have 8 sides ... beautiful German walnut & workmanship.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

QUOTE=RMC; :Tom,

Since you mention the omni Walsh F2 (never heard it) that brings a WOW! souvenir back to mind from the old days (late seventies or so).

reply:

The Walsh F2 (1982)was an improvement on the original F , ten years later ... here is a quote from their propaganda page ....

"The Ohm F (1972) was the most popular of the first generation Walsh speakers. It used a 12” inverted omnidirectional driver operating from 35 - 17,000 Hz. The Ohm F’s were internationally recognized as ”one of the best…if… not the best…speaker in the world”. It received reviews from as far away as Australia and Thailand as well as throughout Europe and America." https://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/f/

I had the F's for a long time, but a fantastic deal appeared and I traded a pair of 4311b's for the F2's, had no room for both pairs and sold the F's .

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=walsh

Tom,

No, don't relay the ADS purchase details I'm sure it would only lead to me

Very nice speakers. Can only wish I had a pair like these, sniff... Have always been impressed by their nice dome mid and dome tweet. Not a lot of manufacturers dared using a dome for mids, AR and Allison Acoustics did it too, maybe few others I forget...

I think ADS was available in Canada for some time but rarely seen them. Similar with Ohm, haven't seen much of those. Many Hi-Fi speakers in audio shops here were from Britain. Though some Canadian brands also hit the market.

Most revealing aspect is that you let go L7 for "so much more musical" ADS, moreover traded a pair of 4311B for the F2's... So you're not "locked in" JBL, nice to see. Regards,

Richard

Most revealing aspect is that you let go L7 for "so much more musical" ADS, moreover traded a pair of 4311B for the F2's... So you're not "locked in" JBL, nice to see. Regards,

Richard
    >>So you're not "locked in" JBL

I'm not "locked in" to any products moniker ... JBL is my first choice, but not the only one that I'll take. I like Nikon , but also use Canon & Olympus , like my BMW, but put more miles on my Ranger and even bike, like Denon TT's, but also use Pioneer & Technics & Oracle (someday) ...etc...etc.

active speakers in the house :

JBL250Ti's
    ESS AMT 10b's
    Ohm Walsh F2's
    JBL120Ti's
    a/d/s L-1290/2's
    a/d/s L-300 surrounds
    DefTec HT center with 8 in. powered sub
    B&W Rock Solids with a Bose wave for a sub
    JBL something powered sub
    M&K passive sub
    Velodyne servo-sub
    2 passive 10 in. subs as stands for the big a/d/s's

My home theater : http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post409759

Lp record related stuff

Been searching recently in my LP record cases for some titles, also came across some interesting things haven't seen for a while. Will cover those items in separate posts to come.

Music variety in these cases goes from Beethoven to Led Zeppelin, with almost anything in between (mostly rock & popular), except when its more noisy than musical or when artist talks instead of singing then I'm out, with a few exceptions.

The record case at the bottom of pic bends a little on the sides from weight on top of it, so the partially filled fifth case on other pic isn't stacked to prevent damage. Space available is limited so going upwards was a must... A piece of plywood between cases improves stability.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1119.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  109.7 KBName:  IMG_1124.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  103.1 KB

D'STAT II Anti-Static Turntable Mat

Starting with an LP accessory. Showed previously in post # 81 what appears to be a cheap synthetic fiber turntable mat from Audio-Technica LP120 which I didn't use. Forgot I had another one with the records. Though similar principle, the Discwasher model shown here is way better made than the AT, latter was China stuff for DJ use.

The one here is Sweden made, top side looks more like some type of felt, platter side has a little different texture to the touch and its said to be conductive re static, specially when placed directly on metal platter. Usually prefer using a good old thick rubber mat, however in situations where static is high this may be an option. Short Instructions shown on a pic explain the rest... Next post some test records.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1046.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  54.7 KBName:  IMG_1052.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  70.6 KBName:  IMG_1048.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  88.8 KBName:  IMG_1050.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  68.9 KB

On the next two posts/test records, the back side pic of the jacket is clear enough to be read easily, after saving it to hard disc, then viewing it on Windows picture viewer for example.

TEST RECORD

This is an oldie, year unknown, probably from the 60's. Its the size of a 45 but spins at 33 1/3 RPM.

Because of light reflections the record looks like crap on the second pic but its actually in good shape. Not as elaborate testing as more recent ones we'll see later, however it has a few interesting features.

It has strobe markings around the record label to check TT speed (less necessary today with quartz lock for example), some test tones are provided, as well as TT rumble test.

On side B there's a stylus wear test, can't recall seeing this on another one, except indirectly with mistracking from a tracking capability test record to come. However, a stylus could still mistrack for other reason than being worn out, like limited capability even though its new.

Frequency response covered is 40-15 khz (called cycles per second decades ago), that was pretty much it at the time. Notes on back of jacket provide a couple of tricks, more or less obsolete now.

Another test record should follow later tonight. Gotta go.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1037.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  84.3 KBName:  IMG_1040.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  68.3 KBName:  IMG_1044.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  102.0 KB

TEST RECORD

Another oldie, no year indicated. This one was recorded in Europe according to record label but its US made and sold for $1.98US! as indicated on jacket ($2.95 in Canada), that was decades ago...

Based on record frequency response mentioned (30-18 khz) it should be a little more recent than the previous test record shown, say late sixties?

The curve shown on the back of Jacket is the RIAA equalization curve for recording. If you added the RIAA curve for playback on the same graph then you would get roughly an "X" shape from the two. Shortly, for recording LF are reduced to allow longer recording times on LP's and HF are boosted. The playback EQ does the inverse by boosting LF and reducing HF.

The LP contains 5 test frequencies indicated and a number of classical music songs chosen for subjective listening tests.

More recent test LP's next time.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1058.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  81.2 KBName:  IMG_1056.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  72.8 KB

TEST RECORD

Another oldie, no year indicated.
    I remember seeing that one when I was 4 y.o.
    gotta be 1953

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Hi.../master/801521

Thread Information