Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Cool

Hi Richard,

Distortion is important but isn’t the only criteria for an accurate monitor.

The primary limitations of a dome midrange is it’s not a uniform directivity driver on its own. Whereas a JBL image control waveguide using either a soft dome tweeter or a compression driver is. Eargle’s text pre dates JBL’s recent developments pioneered by Charles Sprinkle. A waveguide also improves distortion performance towards the lower end of the driver’s bandwidth.

Most modern recordings these days are monitored using two way near field monitors with distances of about one meter and reference levels of 85 db. The use of a dome tweeter is industry standard. At these levels a two way monitors can comfortably do the job.

Only a few near field monitors feature three way designs using a midrange driver. Some are some mids, others cone mids.

The larger Quested monitors featuring the ATC dome mid were used in large record company control rooms. This application is now far less common with the trend towards successful contract mixing engineers working from home these days. They all use two way near field monitors. The market for near field monitors has grown significantly in the last decade. But the market for dome mid range drivers is static or declining.

Innovation has however occurred in the development of concentric mid/hf direct radiator drivers. Pioneer were one of the first to use a concentric mid/hf direct radiator driver. Charles Sprinkle has used this approach in the Kali brand of near field monitors.

https://www.kaliaudio.com/independence

Eargle’s text is more of a reference or the evolution of monitoring systems. I have not made reference to diy loudspeakers because is a small niche.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Thank you for having posted the Crowe and JBL Tech Note texts relative to this issue, they're providing the context and perspective in order to tackle the problem. Moreover, indicating the JBL HF horn distortion data is actually much worst than Eargle's "best case" type numbers. The 25% and 40% measured are quite large, therefore clearly showing where a major improvememt is deeply needed.

His theory is that you need a 15"/horn combo. That imperative offered only keeps users swimming in distortion, which btw they would never accept from another component! (e.g. amp), rather than trying helping them out of it or a notable reduction thereof.

Then he tries to make a case with partial info, using a worst possible dome mid as if it had any relevance, since very few would purchase a mountain shape dome mid response curve. Quite theoretical gymnastics. Who builds speakers using as bad as possible drivers? Probably no one or so, then definitely not a typical case, can't be called serious work.

For comparison with CD use he promotes, the maximum excursion of a typical JBL 4" compression driver is given at 0.55 mm (pic shown), and for the poor dome he chose to display "only has a 0.4mm of linear excursion" he wrote ( +/- he omitted). Calculating his way leads to a displacement capability difference between the two of only 0.15 (or 1/7th) of a single mm! Far from a biggie, and not very significant.

In addition, he treats the ATC dome mid like an exception, it isn't. People looking for dome mids, including for the 93 to 97 db sensitivity range, should see for themselves the ones offered (i did). Likewise for high sensitivity dome tweeters. Excluding cheap low-quality units, there remains a number of them for both types, obviously he didn't check.

Declaring/deciding the solution (need of 15"/horn) without having first established one's needs and goals, duty/use, db spl required, dispersion pattern needed, budget, etc. seems cavalier and sure doesn't help the DIY in making the best choices or decision for his own situation.

Harping on about horns he missed the most important opportunity he had: providing DIY/users with solutions, even suggestions, leading to a significant reduction of high CD/horn distortion. But he's offered them no alternatives to the problem as if there were only horns. Therefore they'll remain in double digit distortion, for many cases, and passing on the hot potato in DIY/users hands.

It should be more of a concern than he has shown. In view of his dome denial, plus distortion skepticism, its evident horn users and candidates for such are the ones that need to be rescued, not the junk dome he tried to convince with.l

Reality and/or practicality is horns are mostly useful in PA/SR work, over about 110-115 db level and/or where a specific sound dispersion pattern is important. Such require horns, many others don't or less so. Moreover, there's the case of people who like/prefer horns for whatever reason, good or bad, its their right and money too. But that doesn't mean horns are necessary for the person's use, its rather a personal choice, the result of influence or imposed by a cloning project. Naturally, going the horn way does come with higher distortion to endure...

In a lot of cases domes are an undeniable, practical and cost effective part of the solution to achieve lesser distortion.

Between DB's more output and distortion reduction (switching CD): "It is JBL's contention that the reduced distortion is the greater of these two benefits," (From horn document he posted). Thanks.

Richard

J. Eargle, Loudspeaker Handbook, 2nd Ed., P. 178
    What and how you project your posts is entirely up to you.

But dissecting and cross examination of a text book on the basis of validation of you own position is on the one hand taking the hobby a bit too seriously or are you taking a
    narcissistic approach to proving your right and the author is wrong?

Who are you discussing the matter with?

Following up on my previous dome/horn distortion post, this concern applies to most if not all CD/horns, not just to a selected few. The so called good horns aren't that many among all those used by audiophiles. It should at least provide proper uniform coverage re intended use (not automatic) and have pretty low distortion (one can't assume this).

Preferably horn distortion improvements would take place in the higher range, where high percentages occur. Down in the CD/horn spectrum its somewhat lower using some models, the bulk of this issue being elsewhere.

Seems more difficult to achieve up there considering second harmonic distortion increases two-fold per driving frequency doubling, for a given intensity. If there was an easy fix for this it would have been implemented long ago and possibly across the board too.

There's far less frequencies influencing the data from about 500 hz to 1.5 khz (a frequent horn xo range), than there are frequencies from 1.5 khz to 16+ khz, actual distortion usually being mesured at numerous frequencies.

Any device that's not improving distortion numbers of the higher range in a worthy manner is of little help if any towards a notable distortion reduction. It simply skips an important matter. To be helpful it should do the "magic" on a good chunk of the HF problem, instead of a very limited bandwidth.

In my view its good common sense to tackle an important or critical issue, one also having a nice yield/improvement. Whether 15%, 25% or 40% distortion these are serious numbers, then its logical it would be a good place where to give attention.

When given some thought, what's worth having the best low distortion electronics gear upstream when major output components downstream still generate a sizeable amount of signal alteration.

The above is largely justified by the fact higher up in the spectrum, where most of the bandwidth often is, JBL and Eargle both show the distortion percentage goes up fairly, as frequency increases. For the dome driver this is a lesser concern.

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

From well-known British Loudspeaker Engineer Stan Kelly, described as a high efficiency guy, has a different and quite direct approach to CD/horn distortion: how much can one cope with and the driver/horn design is done accordingly (within limits). Kelly sees horn distortion as inherent, a basic design factor, in such process.

The increased mass Kelly alluded to would likely be the one from a cone. There's still a mass (lighter one) and a resonance frequency involved with the compression driver's diaphragm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The main goal in CD/horn design is high efficiency for high output level. CD/horn engineering entails some compromises too, its a balancing act between various aspects. There's a number of compression driver parameters the Design Engineer has to juggle with, e.g. of such parameters: BL product, diaphragm-to-phasing plug spacing, moving system mass, spacing between phasing plug slits, etc.

Moreover some engineer's choice(s) made will impact distortion level. The pic here shows one trade-off involved.

Cost considerations are also part of the design process. Beryllium seems like a preferred diaphragm material, so does high saturation alloys in the magnet assembly. However, these two are expensive options according to Eargle, Loudspeaker Handbook, 2nd ed., P. 175

Hi Richard,

Have you investigated the co axial compression drivers from BMS

Note with the curves raised 10 db the 2nd harmonic H2 is like -30 db with these drivers
    This equates to 0.1 % H2 distortion
    The H3 distortion is an order of magnitude lower.

In that respect these are blameless compression drivers.

https://www.bmsspeakers.com/fileadmi...ion_driver.pdf

https://www.bmsspeakers.com/fileadmi...ta_2012-02.pdf

Below is a single diaphragm HF driver

https://www.bmsspeakers.com/fileadmi..._datasheet.pdf

Not wanting to impact or maybe rain on someone else's "parade" i chose to post the following here.

Good news, i found late last night, the justifications for the UREI cab's actual operating mode. It looks to be what i had anticipated in another thread.

Recall i mentioned over there things such as: it would "flirt" with a sealed box, mimic or so sealed cab operation/transient response when covering the vents with the foam plugs, if low density foam it would be seen as a resistive vent. That appears to be the case.

UREI describes the cab as a quasi-closed box, probably with the standard port covers on. Most likely the vent would be a resistive one in my view. Without the port covers it might be called an overstuffed vented box depending on the amount of damping material applied at the factory.

I've seen no box tuning frequency mentioned in all the docs i have, nor any impedance curve that might show this. Seems like a taboo subject or proprietary info. Its possible there's an Fb involved, but i tend to think the effectiveness of such on reducing LF cone travel, in this case, might not be as good as in a normal vented cab?

A couple of pics with highlighting show where the meat is. File size seems to dictate one pic be posted alone.

Richard