Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

R-1000 CART "ROAD TEST"

Test drived the R-1000EDT white cart (AKA Shure M75ED T2) for the first time. The two styluses on-hand for this cart are the RS5T and N75ED type 2, both original Shure. The RS5T (1.5-3gr) was already on the cart so used it for the test and set tracking force in the middle at 2.2 gr. 220pf phono pre capacitance was applied.

Listened to Patti Austin LP record album "Every home should have one", 1981, she's a protege of Quincy Jones, nice voices, many instruments, also recorded and mixed by Bruce Swedien using the Accusonic Recording Process, etc. Though the album is not as good nor as extensively "polished" as those from Quincy Jones, but interesting.

However, this time used my good old Sennheiser 414X headphones instead of speakers for the test since wife was sleeping, while I stayed up late. Don't usually test with headphones as I like some room acoustics (little livelyness) and sound dispersion otherwise its a little "dry", but I did hear with the phones a few lower level sounds that I missed before. The cartridge's typical Shure sound was there and quite acceptable to my ears, more so in view of its lower cost. The 414X is slightly short on LF and VHF but the 220pf applied (lower than should be) compensated for the VHF shortness and about +2db of mixer's LF tone control does the trick on bass.

The M75 is probably as low as one should go in the traditional Shure lineup to keep it reasonably "Hi-FI". M70B or similar being too low quality for adequate fidelity. The M75ED type 2 may be not far behind the well-known M91ED cart, and a worthwhile lower-cost alternative for smaller budgets or for someone getting progressively into playing vinyl records. Everyone started somewhere, probably not at the top...

Yesterday, seen a few used R-1000EDT in relatively good shape on EBay for about $30.US (one in Canada $35.CAD), add $30.-$35. for a proper LP Gear stylus and for $60. or so you get something decent AND not abusively priced, contrary to many others on EBay. Realistic name on the cart makes it less glamorous to own and keeps it lower market value vs Shure brand, but under the hood its a real Shure made in USA. Btw saw that LPG also has a Japan made replacement stylus for the more recent Me75ED Encore series cart.

I think the R-1000EDT with a good stylus on would be a nice contender in that class. Though considered closer to entry-level Hi-Fi it did perform reasonably well and sounded like good value to me.

Richard

SOME NEW STYLUS ISSUE AND LISTENING TEST

This post was written during the X-Mas holidays but forgot to post it before a preceeding one...

From what I have seen the only affordable quality replacement stylus for Me95ED cart is new old stock Shure original at $60.US from Jico Canada and LP Gear. One review on it is good and the other is not, and the latter may have a good point. A mixed bag then.

When I ordered from LP Gear some styluses I figured the one for M95ED cart (with more options available) would fit on my Me95ED Encore series cart, same assumption made for the original Shure N95ED stylus I had purchased a while ago. Dumb me, they're not "drop-in" fit! Cartridge appearance and body has changed over the years, older M95ED cart has bulkier look with more square shape/right angle edges, compared to the narrower/sleeker profile of the more recent one I own.

Still convinced though stylus for older model could fit properly on newer one, but for a difference inside the plastic frame (first pic sketch).

With stylus guard on and holding frame by the sides, I proceeded to remove slowly with a small Swiss knife two corner plastic triangles molded inside both stylus' frames (LPG & Shure) that prevented fit on the more recent cart. Worked carefully, removing a little at the time, and was able to correct this without any damage to frames, cantilevers and diamonds. Hasn't made stylus frames more fragile. Satisfied with the results.

Checked modification with stylus in cart/tonearm on the turntable with the protractor and it hasn't created any issue there either. So the usual N95ED stylus CAN be made to fit correctly on the slightly different Me95ED cart, with some precision work though (45 min. for first stylus and 30 min. for second one, getting better at it I guess).

Second pic shows the Shure modified stylus fitted on Me95ED cart, while the other stylus at bottom right of pic is the LP Gear one also modified and it can be seen inside frame the corner triangles are gone, nice right angles now. "Jeweller" kind of work requiring patience, maybe not for everyone. Top right on pic shows I've removed some clear box foam since the LPG stylus that came in it is packed way too tight in foam for easy removal from box or putting it back in, risking damage. Little looser is better (factory foam pic post # 102).

Various LP records were used during the listening session. With the new LP Gear VN45HE stylus on the V15 IV cart the sound is as good to me and pretty much what it used to be in the past. Using the Polk speakers having the "evergreen" tweeter showed no signs of the VHF small peak or excessive high-end.

Used capacitance settings of 220 pf for the V15 and 330 pf for the Me95ED. With the latter I had to switch a few times between 220 and 330pf to decide which I prefer, finally ended-up being the 330 pf setting. The stylus frame modification done on N95ED didn't affect sound performance either based on listening tests. Even checked the Me95ED with the revealing sound of the Mandolin (and others) on Loggins & Messina's Be Free. Cart passes the test with nice, detailed and clear sounding mandolin with the Polks open mid. Still no overdone highs.

I get to think the sometimes noticeable small peak from the Peerless evergreen tweeter might well have happened during the period of time I used the NAD or Onkyo phono preamps (NAD 100 pf, Onkyo no say). Such period was between the time I let go the variable capacitance Spectro Acoustics 217R preamp I had and the recent purchase of the Bellari phono preamp having cartridge capacitance settings too.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0948.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  54.7 KBName:  IMG_0941.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  61.3 KB

Richard .... if nothing else, you are sure persistent.

glad you were able to make things work out OK.

On cartridges/stylii .... about 10 years ago, I needed a replacement for one of my
    V-15T3's ....ordered an Ed Saunders (ex-Shure employee) needle.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...unders.417250/

happy to mount it up and give it a spin .... sibilance ... . contacted them and a replacement came immediately. This one was fine. Understand the company has changed hands and quality is gone too.

I have years of experience with V-15's T3/T4/T5's ... but my dual platter Sansui came with an M91Ed ...it's a very good alternative to the V series ... especially on this TT.

I always enjoy your posts.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Richard .... when my wife runs across used TT's, she alerts me.

she found a Yamaha in GW for $30 ... i went down to look at it ..meh. but it had a note "see cashier for needle" , so I did

It was a standard CD4 mount TT, but the cart had a P-mount with a P-mt to CD 4 adapter. .... the cart was a very rare V-15T3P ... the P-mount version of the T3 that we all know and enjoy.

so i bought the TT ... put a extra P-mount cart in and sold it. that more than covered the cost. But now had a cart with no TT to use it in ... finally gave up and sold it for abt 5x of what the TT cost me originally.

Always wished that I had a TT to run that in ... w/o that silly adapter.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the good words.

RE "if nothing else, you are sure persistent."

Well, I gambled a little when ordering the N95ED stylus from LP Gear and the other Shure one bought sometime ago. Put myself in shit and got myself out of it nicely. Looked at these and was confident I could make them work, going slowly but surely. Not afraid of having to work hard to succeed, as long as I see there's reasonable hope. If I had to replace it again I'd possibly do the same (hands and sight being the same).

Recently moved 5 carts to different headshells (post # 105). One of them in particular made me work a LOT, must have tried 5-10 times to mount it on the shell before getting it the way I want it to be installed, but stayed with it, finally made a great installation after trying many screw, nut, washer combinations...

RE "Sansui came with an M91Ed ...it's a very good alternative to the V series .."

Its a surprisingly good price/performance cart from Shure's older models, like the 95ED, 91ED possibly one of their best sellers ever. It won't impress the "purists" but I don't play in that league. If I didn't already have the 95ED I might well have looked for a 91ED. The friend who purchased my Thorens years ago did want the 91ED cart on it, otherwise I'd still have it. Most of the time I prefer Shure's sound vs AT sound from comparable carts.

RE "I always enjoy your posts."

I try to post about things that are different than mainstream, as well as trying to help newcomers, showing there's more than just expensive amps, speakers, TT, etc. for folks starting in audio. Hopefully encouraging them with some correct stuff that's accessible to those without deep pockets.

RE Always wished that I had a TT to run that in ... w/o that silly adapter.

With six TTs you already have, ain't enough? Plus the Oracle project on your plate should keep you busy for a while?

RE "when my wife runs across used TT's, she alerts me."

WOW! So there's TWO of you watching for gear, nice. Wife alerts me to nothing audio, she thinks I've already got more than enough stuff hanging around. She did alert me last night to take out the garbage and the recycling bin though... Regards,

Richard

P.S. RE my cassette come back post: do you see or hear any feedback that there might be some revived interest from people in getting cassette decks or keeping theirs since still using it? Have nothing to sell, just trying to assess if the British cassette sales numbers on the rise are also a similar thing in the USA? e.g. if in your great gear finds you got a nice cassette deck would you be able to resell it fast or it would drag on?

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the good words. Most of the time I prefer Shure's sound vs AT sound from comparable carts.

I like SHURE carts a lot, but also have a couple of Empires that are just as good as the V-15's

RE Always wished that I had a TT to run that in ... w/o that silly adapter.

With six TTs you already have, ain't enough? Plus the Oracle project on your plate should keep you busy for a while?

And right now standing hurts and I'm just streaming while looking at the latest LP's that I haven't played yet.

RE "when my wife runs across used TT's, she alerts me."

WOW! So there's TWO of you watching for gear, nice. Wife alerts me to nothing audio, she thinks I've already got more than enough stuff hanging around. She did alert me last night to take out the garbage and the recycling bin though...

BUT, I still get the old "you only have 2 ears, why need so much" line .. .. I answer that it's (vintage audio) so much less than cars,boats,planes,mistresses ..etc.

that usually quiets her down ..cides,, I give her a bounty on good things she finds for me.

P.S. RE my cassette come back post: do you see or hear any feedback that there might be some revived interest from people in getting cassette decks or keeping theirs since still using it?

Most cassette decks are belt driven (much harder to change out than a belt TT) , tho my son's online vintage record account seems to have no problems selling tapes....

Hi Tom,

RE "still get the old "you only have 2 ears, why need so much"

Pretty smart lady, only two ears at a time, difficult to fault that logic isn't?

RE "mistresses" LOL, that's a pretty good one, you got talent to plea your way out, since that word resonates with all wives I guess...

Giving her a bounty on nice items she finds for you is quite clever making her an ally or partner in "crime"

Next time I get the speech about too much gear around, think I'll try the "better than having mistresses" line, then see what happens, lol

RE "Most cassette decks are belt driven"

Didn't really know that, never took one apart, sent two to recycling last year (one hers, one mine), should have open them to see what's inside before letting them go, dumb me. Regards,

Richard

RE "Most cassette decks are belt driven"

Didn't really know that, never took one apart, sent two to recycling last year (one hers, one mine), should have open them to see what's inside before letting them go, dumb me. Regards,

Richard
    the ones I've opened have belts that go around multiple pulleys .. so mechanicals need to be dissembled partway to get the new belt in .. also share a problem with many R2R decks, where shafts were lubed with a heavy grease thats now turned solid .... sure, pull apart, scrape old grease out, regrease and re assemble. (if you have the time and think it's worth the effort.

Even had a TT with that problem, spindle grease solidified and the record stayed still, while the platter under it turned.

so glad my project que is nearly empty ...

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info on cassette deck belts and shaft grease.

The Sony TC-K520 deck I sent to recycling had two belts according to the Service Manual found today.

As for the TEAC V-2020S deck I kept, haven't been able to get the Service Manual, have owner manual.

The grease you refer to is that a special one or any general purpose? Which did you use on deck & TT?

Some stores like LP Gear sell TT belts. Any known places that specialize in or sell cassette deck belts, just in case, or only service centers?

Had a good laugh at the emo BS flag, projects list is never near empty in this field... Regards,

Richard

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the info on cassette deck belts and shaft grease.
    The Sony TC-K520 deck I sent to recycling had two belts according to the Service Manual found today.
    As for the TEAC V-2020S deck I kept, haven't been able to get the Service Manual, have owner manual.
    The grease you refer to is that a special one or any general purpose? Which did you use on deck & TT?
    Some stores like LP Gear sell TT belts. Any known places that specialize in or sell cassette deck belts, just in case, or only service centers?
    Had a good laugh at the emo BS flag, projects list is never near empty in this field... Regards,

Richard
    Have a big stash of TT belts , the variations are endless. suspect tape deck belts are even worse.
    recently had a nice Tandberg deck that did FF/REW just fine , but very slow on play,prolly loose belt/solidifying grease combo problem. Could have fixed it, but why ? wouldn't use it anyway, MD , for me, is THE ANSWER. Sold it off to use for money for more acquisitions.

Grease ?? I use some very thick, green stuff that a friend gave me ... no idea what name or even type.

Speakers ? Out in view, I have the 250ti's, 120Ti's, ESS's , Ohm Walsh's, a/d/s's , Rock Solids (B&W's) , but really enjoy headphones ... I buy them, give em an audition and sell off the ones that don't impress and try to move up the quality ladder a little more.
    Sennheiser has become the "go to" brand for me ... and recently picked up a UK made Creek amp that is now getting use as a headphone amp. I just get detail that gets masked with speakers playing in a room. Can go LP>MD>mini MD player>creek>senns and the result is quite good.

Hi Tom,

Re "Sennheiser has become the "go to" brand for me"

I like them too, but right now not so much, damn it...

Recently gave daughter a pair of my Sen phones, same as I had given her few years ago (bought two), she worned out hers pretty fast, they look like scrap! while mine were still in good shape.

Dec 29 ordered directly from Sen Canada a new pair for me, HD 559, Dec 30 got e-mail of order confirmation, and since that time radio silence from Sen. Wrote them mid Jan., got sort of a prepackaged reply saying your order is finalized and will be shipped to you shortly, and you'll get an e-mail when it ships.

Today, another 11 days later, still no news not even a shipping (included) tracking number. Initially tried to get these from my dealer (Pro audio) and couldn't, Sen said its a consumer model not available for Pro dealers to sell! They're stiff on that. Didn't like Sen's Pro models at comparable prices or so, then went for that consumer one. Now looks like they have both feet in the same shoe or boot, can't move. However, Sen Canada deals with a subcontractor handling their online sales, that may be part of the explanation.

In the past dealt directly with Sen Canada's parts dept. for my 414X from mid seventies and 480 series II re ear foams and got great service, original parts still available! If Sen's Rep can't deliver the phones (not in stock?) should say so and provide an expected date instead of generic reply and hiding behind the Web.

My dealer had sent me a copy of Sen's reply to them (i.e. no HD 559 to pro dealers) so I have Sen's Manager name and coordinates, he's next on my list... Regards,

Richard

P.S. Since you're the headphone man around here, your take on HD 559? Seems it has replaced HD 555. Looked around a lot at comments on various sites, they are positive, except for the 1/4" connector which a number of people don't like since can't use them with 1/8" portable devices. That's a non-issue for me since it will be plugged in 1/4", plus I already have 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor if need be...

P.S. Since you're the headphone man around here, your take on HD 559? Seems it has replaced HD 555. Looked around a lot at comments on various sites, they are positive,...
    not familiar with that model , have had HD-580's for a long time , just bought* HD-6XX's and they are VG++ , have 2 pair HD-25 mk2 ii's , VG too.

*this seems to be the place to get Senns, great prices & service. But, be warned ..their "drops" may not last past the target quantity ..although they claim to have sold a lot ..91.7k Sold. I got mine on a drop of 20k units that sold out in about 3 months.

https://drop.com/audiophile/drops

we have a pretty good headphone thread over here ===>>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...094-Headphones

Tom,

Thanks for the headphone thread.

In the present Canadian Sennheiser lineup, HD 25, HD 25 Plus and HD 25 Light are all in the DJ category on their Web site. Had seen those before but didn't want DJ phones, rather more hi-fi type.

There was another interesting model I saw previously on Sen's, can't remember model number, but the moment I saw it had a coiled type cord, simply ran away from it, deal breaker...

Look at the pic below, red line at the top, got that minutes ago from Sen Canada Web site. That wasn't there when I ordered. Starting to smell I may be part of that unavailable thing one more time on Web purchases...

Richard

Name:  IMG_1032.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  42.6 KB

Had seen those before but didn't want DJ phones, rather more hi-fi type.
    these are such a huge "hi-fi' bargain, that i couldn't resist.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennhe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you know audio gear, you know the Sennheiser HD 650. The company’s flagship from 2003 to 2009, this open-back headphone has shown serious staying power. Praised for its richly detailed, effortlessly enjoyable sound, it remains one of the most talked-about products on Head-Fi today—and is still widely considered among the best headphones under $1,000. So when we teamed up with Sennheiser on its first-ever community-driven design partnership, the HD 650 was a natural place to start. A new revision of the popular all-rounder, the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX has that same great sound plus a few updates, and a price that makes it even easier to love.

From Sen's Hi-Fi/Audiophile Headphones category, Canadian retail prices seen (plus taxes) for 600 series models :

HD 600 $530.
    HD 650 $650.
    HD 660 S $680.
    HD 660 S Apogee $870.
    HDVA 600 $1,900.

Don't use phones as much as you do, usually prefer listening to speakers, use cans mostly when need to monitor something. My frequent but short or occasionally longer use don't justify such expense. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information