Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Tom,

Glad you jumped in. Man, you're a real Sennheiser encyclopedia! You should work for them here and enjoy harsh winters by the same token. Yeah, I know you don't mind FREEZING but getting paid with lower value Canadian dollars isn't your thing, I understand that, lol

Already ordered them as soon we knew there's a pair left in the US. Question was would Senn Canada accept to import those? (see below). Never flown on the Concorde, well over budget, not a millionaire like those guys here.

The model I'd be getting is the first one on the link you posted (with little shorter top end response). The other two HD 25 I don't like their double head band stuff and those retail here for $200. and $270. CAD + Tx

RE "Dealer is asking Sennheiser Canada to import for me a new pair left in the US, discontinued they say."

Got e-mail today from my dealer: "They (Sennheiser Canada) tell me the last pair (HD 25 Light) is ours."

Great, so they have accepted to import that last new pair hanging around at Sennheiser USA! Nice. Hopefully it won't take another 6 -7 weeks, with Customs clearance?

BTW that Avatar pic is among the preferred ones, with "the whole universe is insane" being best ever. Not against pic rotation though, these are often the laugh of the day! Note if you keep putting your right hand on live electrical wires while waving at us with the left one you may not last as long time as we wish you to...

Best Regards,

Richard

SPECIAL EFFECTS RECORD

MOBILE FIDELITY SOUND LAB, MFSL 004, 1978, THE POWER AND THE MAJESTY

Purchased around 80's, this is not a music record but rather a premium "special effects" one, the fourth released by Mobile Fidelity in the series. Bought it simply for the experiment, it was said to have nice recording and sounds reproduction.

For this post I listened to it again this time with the Sennheiser 480 series II headphones since wife went to sleep. I tried a different listening setup the Bellari phono preamp having a direct headphone/line output on 1/8" TRS Stereo, using a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor I have. Would have preferred a 1/4" socket on the pre but the trend nowadays seems to be 1/8" for the many portable devices...

The phono preamp also has a trim/gain control so the level can be adjusted up to a point (- 10 to + 4 db), enough for my listening needs, about midway. Signal path is short from turntable (V15 IV) to phono pre and phones. That's it, no other preamp, EQ, amp nor speakers (did often use a mixer as preamp to power amp). This minimalist setup sounds very good to me.

Record noise here is pretty much non-existent which is nice. Album jacket says the pressings are imported and Stan Ricker is disc cutting engineer. The MF yellow info sheets posted add its from Japan (see where I underlined). My examination of the record between the last groove and the label indicates JVC CC (cutting center), with whom Ricker was associated (like on the Stars Wars music album I showed in "Sad to say..." thread).

Thundestorm (including unexpected hail) sounds are very clear as if you were there. The jacket talks about phenomenal dynamic range. Keep that in mind with regards to the monster Steam Locomotive and other train related sounds. I suggest having ample system headroom to play this, here's why.

When the train is far away (low level sound), and the record having next to no noise, the temptation is to increase volume markedly to hear it better and because its gets a little intoxicating as it approaches. Since its fun naturally one forgets to turn down somewhat the volume... However, on some scenes when the monster train with 80" dia. driving wheels passes next to the recordist, well at high volume the impression is the train passes right in your living room!, it can get pretty noisy, and amp clips... Definitely more for larger 12-18" woofer speakers than smaller ones.

Noticed an occasion where the train's air horn (far away to the left) is heard in the left phone, but its echo (far away to the right) is heard in the right phone, very nice spatial effect.

Quite realistic sounds. If you have a crush for thunderstorms, or more so for old trains and enjoy their sounds this record may wake the kid in you... Next time an Audiophile music record.

EDIT: Sorry two other pics that pull the horizontal orientation trick on me, while they ARE vertical in my laptop...

Richard

Name:  IMG_1075.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  99.4 KBName:  IMG_1074.jpg
Size:  106.1 KBName:  IMG_1076.jpg
Size:  62.6 KBName:  IMG_1079.jpg
Size:  122.5 KB

Thread Information