Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

SHURE M75ED/R1000 EDT CARTRIDGE REVISITED

Haven't been satisfied from prior use of that cartridge, since it lacked some life. Nonetheless confident that it may be able to deliver better sound than what i got from it.

Replaced the RS5T stylus on it for a brand new original Shure N75ED Type 2 stylus i had in stock, which Shure describes as an upgrade with improved performance. Doing again cart alignment with the AT turntable protractor just couldn't land exactly where i wanted, so i put that one aside and used instead Shure's own alignment protractor, perfect. Tracking force 1.4 gr., tried load capacitance 120pf, 220pf but little too much VHF, then tried 330pf and this closed the deal.

Cart actually sounds better than i anticipated for a not "grand class" unit. Using same audio setup as usual, played LP's for 3 hours, those having piano, mandolin, violon, harmonica, etc. Wasn't disappointed, characteristic Shure sound i like is there. Misses some minor refinements, but the essential is on board. Since i prefer that sound to that of the four AT carts i have, its worth keeping in this era where Shure carts/stylus were all discontinued.

Based on search done the first version of M75ED cart was released in 1972 and has a somewhat bulky and square shape, whereas mine appears to come from the 1979 revision with slimmer black body under the white plastic cover. Then it was still made in USA, however since early 80's Shure started moving production to Mexico... Out of the four Shures on hand the V15IV and M75ED were US made, while the Me95ED and SC35C (DJ) come from Mexico.

I'm sufficiently impressed with the M75ED Type 2 results considering its placement in the Shure lineup. When everything is set perfectly that cart performs better than its model number would suggest (not far behind M95 ED). In fact, 2 days after that test i ordered another stylus for it from LP Gear's Japan made house brand. There's a slight difference though between LP Gear's .3 X .7 mil diamond and Shure's original .2 X .7 mil. We'll see for sound.

A little over a year ago i commented on the N95ED stylus (and others) i got from LP Gear and was most impressed at the craftsmanship of that $37.95US stylus, and suggested to those with slimmer wallets to find themselves a good used M95ED then put that stylus on, possibly for $100. or less. I guess there was a 95ED craze because LP Gear DOUBLED the price on that stylus! To get an idea of the situation i checked four others to see their fate and they had price increased by say 12, 20, 25%, one 0%, but not doubled. So, dynamic pricing involved based on demand?

Well, since the above deal has become less affordable in these tough times for people on a budget, then alternatively i would suggest getting a good used M75ED or R1000 EDT cart with a N75ED Type 2 stylus ($47.US), hopefully both for $100. Note there's a few models of R1000: E, ED, EDT, XT check for cart/stylus before buying.

Richard

Name:  IMG_2058.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  51.8 KBName:  IMG_2062.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  65.0 KBName:  IMG_2063.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  65.3 KBName:  IMG_2069.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  126.4 KB
    Last edited by RMC; 02-13-2021 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Minor corrections

Received tuesday (12 days, nice) the LP Gear N75ED Type 2 stylus for the M75ED/R-1000 EDT cartridge. Trip was different and cheaper this time, USPS passing on the parcel to Canada Post in Vancouver instead of the usual Toronto. Smart. Prior Can/US "Free" Trade Agreement (NAFTA) allowed $20. online US purchase duties/tax free!! The new & recent USMC Agreement (US, Mexico, Canada) that replaced it increased that limit to a whopping $40. LOL. Clearly not wanting us to shop across the border. But the $47. stylus wasn't applied any duties/taxes i expected to pay at the door since LPG indicated on the box a $19.95 value! Must have an angel at LPG Nevada.

LPG suggests using a 10X magnifying lens they sell to inspect the stylus. I wouldn't spend money on that since i have 3-4 different sizes mag lens and none allows for more than confirming needle presence at the end of the cantilever. 10X is simply not enough in my view to really see diamond condition, shape, polishing, etc.

Using a 50X is little more challenging (e.g. hand movement is amplified) but once you get the trick its way more revealing. Going with very small and slow hand movement in getting closer to the tip (not too close re damage). Need good stylus lighting, steady hand, patience and practice zooming in with a worn out stylus or similar object. Been using it for decades, haven't damaged any yet and get a good picture of the situation. "Jeweller's" type work.

Stylus was examined from four different angles with the small purposely made 50X pen type microscope i got from my father. Japan made, late 60's or early 70's?

The good news is the cantilever is straight and well centered, plus the diamond looks ok (e.g. shape, polishing). Not bad for a $47.US needle. Some aren't nice for an aspect or more. Hopefully LPG won't double the price on that one too...

Comparing it to Shure original there's a small difference in diamond shape due to previously indicated dimensions (.3 X .7 VS .2 X .7 Mil on original), cantilever color is different and seems a little smaller diameter on the LPG.

Might not have few refinements of the discontinued original but should do the job in keeping the cartridge going longer. Not tested yet.

Richard

Name:  IMG_2118.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  63.2 KBName:  IMG_2123_LI.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  123.4 KBName:  IMG_2127.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  75.8 KB

Haven't listened to CD's for a good while, only LP's. This time decided to use a bunch of CD's. Same temporary audio setup as usual, except for the CD player being used instead of the turntable.

Usually listening to music at night in very low lighting condition, 25W lamp just to avoid tripping on something. Low light also forces one to listen with the ears, not the eyes, focusing on music and sound instead of on the gear.

These sessions seem to happen more often on sunday nights, say 10:30 pm to 2:00 am. Boss goes to sleep 1:30 am with her yellow Walkman and phones so i can stretch it to 2:00 am. Though little loud got no complaint. Over time that Walkman fell many times from bed to hardwood floor from sleeping wife, a pretty tough made device!

The no frills rackmount Tascam CD-200 player sounds very good, better than the hi-fi unit i own and i haven't balanced yet its outputs to mixer with the other Aphex interface on-hand. Considered getting another such Tascam and let go the hi-fi unit. Checking availability, Tascam says the unit is now discontinued... Another one gone, sad that manufacturers keep discontinuing good stuff. E-mailed my dealer to see if there's any left around?

One impressive sounding older CD is Elton John's 1970-74. Doesn't really say who remastered the original tapes to digital. But that person did a nice job except for a little brightness, slight overemphasis on VHF (EQ fix: -1 to -2 db). As for the rest, sound is clear, lively and transparent. For early 70's recordings, engineered by Ken Scott same guy who did early Supertramp album, its surprising how good it sounds (e.g. piano, voices, horns, etc).

A number of early 70's LP's didn't sound that great due to older technology or ordinary recording engineering? However, some recordings from the same years do sound quite good, e.g.: Elton John, Loggins & Messina, Supertramp, etc. I guess the explanation may be found in the meticulous engineering applied.

Richard

Name:  IMG_2200.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  76.3 KBName:  IMG_2197.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2194.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  57.7 KBName:  IMG_2203.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  83.0 KBName:  IMG_2205.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  51.5 KB

My little "listen in bed" system just started with a pod & cans.

Then I moved an extra Alexa Dot over there and plugged into that for streaming.

Happened on a CREEK UK amp, installed and thot about speakers too. Went thru a bunch and finally settled on JBL 18Ti's ..that was OK. then set them atop the a/d/s towers and they got a bit better ... then turned them upside down and tilted, better yet.

Felt they needed more bass at low volume, so wired it a dual 6 in. sub (under the bed)..improved again.
    This last month, added an outboard EQ ... now it sounds GREAT

but when I want loud w/o being intrusive, switch off speakers and just use the
    Senn HD-6XX's ...sonic heaven
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sea,

Seems like a pretty elaborate or extensive trial/error process to fall asleep. My wife's "undestructible" Walkman solution is much less sophisticated. But she probably doesn't enjoy sonic hi-fi, nor gets sound heaven as you do. Nicer dreams with your setup i suppose. First time i hear of a sub under the bed, clever! You got it "all dressed", i never really thought about bedroom hi-fi, might be a developping field nowadays...

Here's the CREEK amp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Straightforward layout, no nonsense, and a beefy power supply. Those switches are serviceable as well.
    Haven't heard one (or if I have, it was long enough ago that I can't count it), but I expect it's fine

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Straightforward layout, no nonsense, and a beefy power supply. )
    don't forget the banana plug speaker terminals

it does sound good.

I've seen Creek a little before but i'm not really into that type of equipment. Tend to prefer Pro gear and dealing with pros instead of weekend salesmen at stores. Also an important aspect to me is gear flexibility, in addition to performance and reliability. If its build for the long run the better.

Many local audio salons deal with consumer type equipment for the "Golden ears". Naturally each salon claims that its products are the absolute best sounding... Too much snake oil and BS for me in the consumer market segment, though there are some good things there too.

I've stopped worrying long ago about the ultimate best sounding gear as its simply too subjective, from one person to another or from one audio salon to the next, plus their # 1 changes with seasons! If their claim was as evident as they say then they'd all be selling the same stuff, but they're not... Plus its not accidentally for distributors to place their equipment in some salons and not others, more so in same region, limiting distribution for reasons.

Canada being a former British colony i assume the Queen sends all that equipment our way to please her subjects, lol. Like the nice ATC monitors. Nothing wrong with having choices it gives us the privilege of seeing many different things, which is good.

The Creek amp looks like a nice piece and shows neat assembly. Seem like glass-epoxy circuit board? But not as darker green as the Aphex interface or the BGW amp having such board. Might be simply a little thinner Creek board? In any case we generally see less today of quality builds with large scale Asian manufacturing.

Name:  IMG_1396.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  100.5 KBName:  BGW 100 B 1.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  119.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    The no frills rackmount Tascam CD-200 player sounds very good, better than the hi-fi unit i own and i haven't balanced yet its outputs to mixer with the other Aphex interface on-hand. Considered getting another such Tascam and let go the hi-fi unit. Checking availability, Tascam says the unit is now discontinued... Another one gone, sad that manufacturers keep discontinuing good stuff. E-mailed my dealer to see if there's any left around?
    I've used the similar CD-200iB for years. It adds a slide-out drawer for iPod connectivity as well as Balanced connectors on the back. Bullet proof and, to my ears, sounds about the same as my TEAC CDP-650 with its front-panel USB input. I vaguely remember reading at some point that they shared the same DAC and maybe transport as the TASCAM. I have two of the TEACs and they've been workhorses along with a Denon and Oppo I use regularly. There apparently are some newer versions of the TASCAM featuring dual Lighting and 30-pin connectors in the iPod drawer as well as some with Bluetooth connectivity.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Appreciate your TEAC/Tascam insight about another CD-200 series player. As you mentioned they do share some CD transport system as shown in a previous pic and on the Canadian Tascam price list i have from 2 years ago with short descriptions (pics), not much updated on that list since most of the stuff you see is now discontinued... (except 500B & 200BT Bluetooth). Your "bullet proof"/"workhorses" experience sure is music to my ears! Thanks.

RE "E-mailed my dealer to see if there's any left around?" (Tascam CD-200). Not bad ending after all...

Many e-mail exchanges between me, dealer and Tascam distributor in Canada: there's none of the above model left, zero. They have a couple of 200iL left (new/demo) for iPod dock that i don't want (no Pod), 200BT Bluetooth don't want either unless my back is to the wall), and one only, also discontinued, CD-200SB i can live with but a distributor's demo. Doesn't say on list (2nd page) if that one has or not the new TEAC transport system.

However, was given an offer one can't refuse on that "orphan" 200SB, somewhat soothing the pain, the power of money! LOL. With distributor and dealer discounts it would cost me less than half retail price! Then had questions about demo condition & warranty. Now getting harder to slam the door on this deal in view of next para. (all is in writing, so no one can say "never said that" regarding price, unit condition and warranty).

Today's Tascam distributor reply: "You get the full warranty even if this is a demo unit. I do not see the unit and I do not have a picture either – we are working from home at the moment. It is classified as a unit in very good condition." They have to live up to this standard. Note on price list shown, out of 6 models, only one is not "Limited Availability" and its the CD-200 i have, but its discontinued and out of stock, almost the same, lol. My impression is Tascam made a last batch of some models for transition, knowing they would discontinue them. When stock is depleted its over, they're moving on to something else.

Seems acceptable to proceed in the present circumstances, can't see unit live due to so many people working from home, because of Covid lockdown & curfew. So ordered today distributor's last CD-200SB unit in Canada, we'll see. Has more features than i need, but balanced connectors and front-panel USB input BMW mentioned are there, as well as CD dubbing, and then some... (pic)

Richard

Name:  IMG_2208.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  81.3 KBName:  IMG_2209.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  54.8 KBName:  IMG_2211.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  59.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    don't forget the banana plug speaker terminals
    Ah, but the unique thing is SIX speaker output connections.

black in the center is common , but then you go either left or right on the RED banana plug.

one way gives you NORMAL speaker output that stops when headphone jack is inserted , the other gives you BOTH cans & speakers at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I remember
    kinda quirky, but a nice option.

Six speaker outputs!, WOW, Pretty cool. Can't remember seeing that before.

Not sure my cartesian mind approaches this correctly...

Amp must have min. impedance limit, can you run or not 3 pairs spkrs? Or amp spkr selector like A+B, B+C or A/B/C at once?

Since you have 18Ti and sub under bed how they're connected, XO in a powered sub, or passive sub(s) in parallel to 18Ti and let sub roll-off at higher end?

Its a nice device. Amp is how many watts?

Thread Information