Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Tom,

Glad you jumped in. Man, you're a real Sennheiser encyclopedia! You should work for them here and enjoy harsh winters by the same token. Yeah, I know you don't mind FREEZING but getting paid with lower value Canadian dollars isn't your thing, I understand that, lol

Already ordered them as soon we knew there's a pair left in the US. Question was would Senn Canada accept to import those? (see below). Never flown on the Concorde, well over budget, not a millionaire like those guys here.

The model I'd be getting is the first one on the link you posted (with little shorter top end response). The other two HD 25 I don't like their double head band stuff and those retail here for $200. and $270. CAD + Tx

RE "Dealer is asking Sennheiser Canada to import for me a new pair left in the US, discontinued they say."

Got e-mail today from my dealer: "They (Sennheiser Canada) tell me the last pair (HD 25 Light) is ours."

Great, so they have accepted to import that last new pair hanging around at Sennheiser USA! Nice. Hopefully it won't take another 6 -7 weeks, with Customs clearance?

BTW that Avatar pic is among the preferred ones, with "the whole universe is insane" being best ever. Not against pic rotation though, these are often the laugh of the day! Note if you keep putting your right hand on live electrical wires while waving at us with the left one you may not last as long time as we wish you to...

Best Regards,

Richard

SPECIAL EFFECTS RECORD

MOBILE FIDELITY SOUND LAB, MFSL 004, 1978, THE POWER AND THE MAJESTY

Purchased around 80's, this is not a music record but rather a premium "special effects" one, the fourth released by Mobile Fidelity in the series. Bought it simply for the experiment, it was said to have nice recording and sounds reproduction.

For this post I listened to it again this time with the Sennheiser 480 series II headphones since wife went to sleep. I tried a different listening setup the Bellari phono preamp having a direct headphone/line output on 1/8" TRS Stereo, using a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor I have. Would have preferred a 1/4" socket on the pre but the trend nowadays seems to be 1/8" for the many portable devices...

The phono preamp also has a trim/gain control so the level can be adjusted up to a point (- 10 to + 4 db), enough for my listening needs, about midway. Signal path is short from turntable (V15 IV) to phono pre and phones. That's it, no other preamp, EQ, amp nor speakers (did often use a mixer as preamp to power amp). This minimalist setup sounds very good to me.

Record noise here is pretty much non-existent which is nice. Album jacket says the pressings are imported and Stan Ricker is disc cutting engineer. The MF yellow info sheets posted add its from Japan (see where I underlined). My examination of the record between the last groove and the label indicates JVC CC (cutting center), with whom Ricker was associated (like on the Stars Wars music album I showed in "Sad to say..." thread).

Thundestorm (including unexpected hail) sounds are very clear as if you were there. The jacket talks about phenomenal dynamic range. Keep that in mind with regards to the monster Steam Locomotive and other train related sounds. I suggest having ample system headroom to play this, here's why.

When the train is far away (low level sound), and the record having next to no noise, the temptation is to increase volume markedly to hear it better and because its gets a little intoxicating as it approaches. Since its fun naturally one forgets to turn down somewhat the volume... However, on some scenes when the monster train with 80" dia. driving wheels passes next to the recordist, well at high volume the impression is the train passes right in your living room!, it can get pretty noisy, and amp clips... Definitely more for larger 12-18" woofer speakers than smaller ones.

Noticed an occasion where the train's air horn (far away to the left) is heard in the left phone, but its echo (far away to the right) is heard in the right phone, very nice spatial effect.

Quite realistic sounds. If you have a crush for thunderstorms, or more so for old trains and enjoy their sounds this record may wake the kid in you... Next time an Audiophile music record.

EDIT: Sorry two other pics that pull the horizontal orientation trick on me, while they ARE vertical in my laptop...

Richard

Name:  IMG_1075.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  99.4 KBName:  IMG_1074.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  106.1 KBName:  IMG_1076.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  62.6 KBName:  IMG_1079.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  122.5 KB

GINO VANELLI, BROTHER TO BROTHER, AUDIOPHILE SERIES, 1978

Purchased this premium LP version instead of a regular one sometime after it was released, mainly to compare sound and pressing quality vs standard ones. Not having the same LP in regular version I can't put them head to head for sound comparison. It was released the same year as Mobile Fidelity's four debut albums. Some interesting music on this. Labels choose which ones will be premium released.

Some record manufacturer(s), like A & M records here, have decided decades back to seemingly compete with Mobile Fidelity's premium records. Don't know if A&M's were commercially successful at the time, but better quality LPs appear to be the new norm now, though there are different quality levels, even today.

Days ago found another place here selling such vinyls and those seen with indications are 180 gr vinyl, some add high quality pressing, a few might include remastering. 180 gr vinyl looks like the norm, high quality pressing and/or remastering is mentioned for some units only though, and a few are cut at half-speed by MF (about $25.-$60. latter price for MF).

BTW Seen recently on Amazon.ca Chuck Mangione's 1977 Feels So Good album, $20. something on CD, but a whopping $158. CAD for the Audiophile LP version, quite a difference! I think I have the standard LP of this and will stick with that one...

Vanelli's premium record is pressed in Japan (shown on record label). No mention of JVC Cutting Center here since it was mastered by Bernie Grundman at A & M Studios. It uses a similar half-speed cutting process as MF, as well as pure anti-static low-noise vinyl. Don't recall what I paid for it too long ago, maybe $30.? Closer to a Mobile Fidelity record quality compared to usual premium reissues mentioned above.

Listened to it again last night on speakers and headphones using Me95ED, no record noise but for a small tick once. Sound clarity is A-1 even on more complex musical sections, ambience is nice. Like what I hear, sounds like a treat.

Maybe saving the best for last? Next time a Direct-to-Disc LP will close this record chapter stuff.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1151.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  63.8 KBName:  IMG_1154.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  56.9 KBName:  IMG_1156.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  72.4 KBName:  IMG_1159.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  53.8 KB

The DMM disks are usually great sounding. Mobile Fidelity sometimes are low recorded volume and gain needs to be turned higher.

The BEST sounding LP I ever heard (including demo disks) is this LP , "produced without microphones to provide you with the true sound of live music" - piezzo pickups on every instrument.

==>> https://www.discogs.com/Norman-Whist...elease/6630794 . It's not music that you would listen to every day, but it's startling clean & real sounding.

Manufactured By – Sparton Of Canada Ltd.

Dad played his copy for me long ago, left it to me, I loaned to a friend and never got it back. Lucky to find another copy not long ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Never heard about that "piezo disk", nor about Sparton of Canada. Based on pic posted maybe old? What year or so would that be?

RE "I loaned to a friend and never got it back."

I loaned wife's cousin a pair of small DIY speaker stands and they never came back either. Not a collector's item like yours, but I spent time making these (two pairs) and getting them right with tilt angle. When asked what's happening with those, he said didn't know where they were nor what happened to them... Pisses me off not for their cost, rather for their usefulness to me. End of loans.

Btw #1

Initiated today return of the Sennheiser HD 559 phones loaded with mid-bass/low-mid. Free return Web site said. Free return to me = no out-of-pocket money for return. For Senn = no restocking fee! So I have to pay shipping to send back the donkey. Would be more honest to say no restoking fee on returns, but this would raise a red flag about who pays return shipping, which they don't want to do. Marketing is still King!

Btw #2

Also learned from Senn the HD 25 Light phones that were in the US are now here in my dealer's hands, pretty quick this time. Didn't get a call because the other item ordered at the same time hasn't arrived yet. One trip downtown for both is enough, and forecast calls for snow and/or freezing rain, either way crap.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Never heard about that "piezo disk", nor about Sparton of Canada. Based on pic posted maybe old? What year or so would that be?
    Richard
    http://music-ape.com/folk-world-coun...ral-rythm.html

Date of released: Sep 1964

ROUGH TRADE LIVE, DIRECT-TO-DISC RECORD, 1977

The usual understanding of "Live" is that a group performs in front of an audience. Not here though, the group's live perfomance in the studio is sent directly on the master disc as the musicians play. No tape recording involved at any step. A nice aspect from that type of live thing is no audience noise or other, which tends to increase dynamic range with lower noise floor.

The record was purchased decades ago about the same time as the other non-coventional ones mentioned before, for an amount I can't recall but possibly $30. or so? It was a pure blind date! Had never heard of the group, nor about their music. Wanted to try a Direct-to-Disc to hear how that sounds and figured I might as well help a Canadian band and product by the same token, others available were unknown too so...

Music type turned out to be more like Jazz, not really my cup of tea (except e.g. Chuck Mangione, Grover Washington or Herbie Hancock). Songs on the first side are ok (no more) but on the second side they're a real sleeping pill for me. So beware of blind dates... Essentially a demo type record to me more than anything else. Sound wise its quite a different ball game though!

Initially, ATP-3 DJ cart was already on tonearm for protractor adjustment so tried it with this LP. It just didn't cut it, dull sound, wasn't at all the record I remembered, 5 min. max and switched to the V15 IV. This one is a smile, now getting the real defined Direct to Disc sound from past listenings. That confirms DDs are demanding cart wise for good reproduction, therefore require more than just an ok cartridge to enjoy.

Sound clarity and dynamics never heard like this on a regular album, you get an earful of it, drum sounds are nice with bass drum being a wow, percussions and cymbals are great. Everything is lively as if you were there. Drums do sound different than on a regular LP. Could hear the timbre or tone of the "skins" being hit, which I haven't noticed that much on other LPs. On standard rock/popular LPs bass and drums sound more or less all the same "generic" type, whereas here its very well defined. Globally impressive sound.

There's only about 15 minutes of music per side, presumably caused by groove width on the record for LF content. On the other hand silence between tracks is somewhat longer than usual. If I played this LP at high volume using smaller boxes only, the woofers would cry for help. When LF is restricted to the 2205H or 2214H cabs with biamping then its way better.

Thick vinyl pressing, with each jacket numbered since only a limited quantity can be made this way, mine being # 001... There appears to be an error on the jacket info. It says pressing by RCA in Canada, but has shown on two pics near the label the record is made in Germany, as well as label printing. Maybe when the jacket was printed in Canada (ahead of time?) the expected pressing plant was RCA, but that changed on the way for a German plant?

Record noise is just a tiny bit above that on Mobile Fidelity and Gino Vannelli albums previously shown. No mention here about vinyl type used.

Since its 1977 this Direct to Disc was made the year prior to Mobile Fidelity's first premium records.

Note for picture purpose the album jacket being silver its a pain with light reflections. Somewhat like picturing a sheet of aluminum foil. Mostly got it ok, though one pic has a darker side from shade I created so people could read the Direct to Disc process description next to the shaded area.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1088.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  72.3 KBName:  IMG_1092.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  50.2 KBName:  IMG_1100.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  88.1 KBName:  IMG_1101.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  73.7 KB

EDIT: one more horizontal pic trick on me, damn it.... Quite vertical in the laptop!

Name:  IMG_1104.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  65.9 KBName:  IMG_1109.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  55.7 KBName:  IMG_1111.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  71.6 KB

BOTTOM LINE ON PREMIUM VINYL VS DIRECT-TO-DISC RECORD

In my case the comparison between the Mobile Fidelity and the Direct to Disc records would not be a fair one since the MF I have is not music like the DD is, but rather a special effects one (train & thunderstorm sounds).

The Gino Vannelli Audiophile Series album is music, its cut with half-speed process and has quality vinyl making it comparable to a MF. However, what's more challenging in assessing Vannelli's album sound is the fact it has a fair amount of electronic music (keyboards) where I find it more difficult to differentiate good sounding synths from so so ones, as opposed to listening to a piano or saxophone in a small group for example. How should synths sound like?? Hard to say when these are synthesized sounds...

The MF has no record noise (dead silent) and nice dynamics. Vannelli's also but for a small tick noise once. Nevertheless both of these sound very good to me and I'd give them a slight advantage over the Direct to Disc one for record noise level. MF like and DD are both serious contenders, but sound wise DD has an edge over MF.

As for comparing regular LPs to premium vinyls, the latter do sound more realistic and pleasant, even if it was for dynamic range alone. On the other hand, the sound differences between a regular LP and a premium vinyl one appear to be less pronounced (though still there) than for a regular LP vs a Direct to Disc one. Clarity, dynamics and timbre are simply second to none on DD, specially drums, percussions, etc.

If a record's music is really good for a number of tracks then it may be worthwhile to purchase a premium version of it. Not the case for my purchase of the Rough Trade Live Direct to Disc album though. Nothing more than a demo record to me, hence why it spends way more time in storage, than on the turntable, even if it sounds great...

Richard

Santana "Abraxas" is one of my DID albums.

I have it on MoFi gold CD and my son bought the MF LP for Xmas ,
    that's my total exposure to MF.

Both disks sounded somewhat flat and with low volume. They don't
    get played as often as the QUAD LP that I also have.

So, with my limited MF experience, would not pay the premium for
    their products.

My "direct to disk" - Rural Rhythms , no mikes, everything wired to piezo
    pickups is fantastic ... the best vinyl I've ever heard (tho the music is not a fave)

I do have some DMM - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_metal_mastering
    disks, including a Eurthymics LP and it's absolutely something to demo a system with.

SUMMARY: I can't get on the MF bandwagon, DMM's were only selectively made, so I just generally get the best condition LP that I can, do a good cleanup job and concentrate on the downstream gear.

OH Yeah, have our big record sale/show coming up in April. Always enjoy that one ..

I like Santana too, music & percussions are great, have a couple of standard records and CDs from them. These guys have energy and rhythm.

My exposure to MF isn't better than yours. At $60.+ tx here for an MF it would need to be really excellent on both sides, which rarely happens, for me to embark on that boat. MFs would make a quite expensive record collection since I usually buy new. So pretty much share your view, a good reg LP can do the job when its not plagued with record noise.

How are the interviews going for the record library Assistant you were looking for? Any "skilled" candidates in sight yet?

Tested the waters with my wife, she wouldn't allow a lady like the one you showed to take care of record collection. My alphabet would be so mixed up she says, records then get in worst order than they were... lol Can't win them all...

Not aware of any record shows going on around here, though some stores specialize in selling used, others new. To attend record show guess you gotta be nice with wife to unlock the "sheltering in place" chains for April, or getting the doctor's OK health wise following accident?

With what I see happening on news next door to you, hopefully you won't have to appear at record show with the mask... Though, showing up looking like Avatar pic you could be the event's main attraction! Fun, the posers would need to go back to cloakroom, but they'd never find a better disguise.

Btw should get the Senn HD25Light next week, dealer rep I do business with was on vacation this week, not a rush.

Not aware of any record shows going on around here, though some stores specialize in selling used, others new. To attend record show guess you gotta be nice with wife to unlock the "sheltering in place" chains for April, or getting the doctor's OK health wise following accident?
    It's no secret that I am AudioFrugal , the only new LP's I get are Xmas presents.

Have no problem sitting on the floor and going through boxes of used LP's. , the record show is perfect for me.
    It's a 20 mile drive, mostly along the scenic Willamette River , so I gas up the pickup, go to the bank and convert $30 to dollar bills. Many times get a funny look from the teller until I tell them it's not for the girls at the Strip Club.

I run (well maybe gimp in , this year) in and head for one particular seller ... he usually has abt 30 boxes of dollar records on the floor surrounding his 6 tables. I can use up 2/3's of my bucks on him.

Everybody carries those cloth shopping bags over a shoulder. Most buyers are over 55 or under 35 .. not much in the middle.

When I run out of bills in my pocket, it's time to leave ... about half go to my son and the rest are for me.

An event the I look forward to every year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Audio Frugal, na, not with the amount of gear stored in your house. Maybe a wiser buyer and eco-friendly one when giving a second life to stuff. In the past saw too many things "nice condition" turning out to be not so nice, wasting lots of my time going to see those, had enough of it. But do recognize today with pics on Net gear appearance is easier to assess, not necessarily inside the gear or malfunction though. Even recall a member here who had woofers, dustcap black glue lines looked like crap, a red flag, questioned about this he kept denying anything ever happened, original drivers! No time to waste with that BS...

RE "funny look from the teller until I tell them it's not for the girls at the Strip Club." LOL, my laugh of the day, though I may still wonder if by any chance there is such a club on the way to or back from the record show? lol

Buyers being over 55 or under 35 may not be a big surprise. Older guys like us who own and are interested in LP music plus still have turntable(s). As for the younger guys, well its perceived as being cool to have LP/TT, a fad?

Now that I seen the ad of the record show I understand better. There are similar things here, flea markets, (or garage/yard sales), where people sell all sorts of cheap things, more often outside on tables. They are usually held away from the City in small towns a half-hour drive or more. One can buy anything from magic healing cream to pipe fittings! There's possibly guys selling records, CDs or tapes too, some for their own country music... Haven't been to one of those in a very long time. Don't see much advertising for that so not really aware when one is held.

The nice thing about yours is its dedicated to music media, not magic healing cream and other junk! With over 80 tables and dealers from 4 States! it should be interesting, I guess one may find there some goodies music wise. But dollar records in good shape? Sounds like a fire sale or used LPs are now worth nothing or so?

I guess one may find there some goodies music wise. But dollar records in good shape? Sounds like a fire sale or used LPs are now worth nothing or so?
    you would be amazed at some of the records that I've found in $ boxes. Portland has more record stores "per capita" than any major city in America. There are a lot floating around in this area.
    Sellers at shows would rather not haul home full crates. Tho most of the younger buyers feel comfortable with $20+ prices for an LP.

with 80 sellers, some you avoid as their $ prices are high/quality is low..others you look for.

I've met a couple of guys whose job is full time record buyer .. they take a van around 6 states , check CL ads when they stop and buy entire lots at a dime/LP ... selling at a $ makes good profit.

Wow, buying entire lots at a dime/LP! One has to hate his LPs a lot to let them go at that price. I've got way too much money invested in mine to kiss them goodbye for a bunch of pennies each... When I get to that point I'd probably prefer to give them away free to young folks getting into spinning records.

Some may be from estates then wanting to get rid of these fast, but still I'd try to get a couple $ each. On the other hand LPs are not the major trend in the market today vs streaming, MP3 and that sort of stuff... That may well affect resale value: supply and demand!

Btw since you send records to your son by US mail, how do you package the LPs: cardboard box only? Flat or upright? Whole bunch or limited number per shipment? Special packaging padding or reinforcement required? Not afraid being damaged at destination or how you prevent that?

Thread Information