Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

I didn't order premium RCA cables for the new Bellari preamp and AT LP-5 turntable, as well as Legend speaker cable, for their purported better sound. Rather for their much better quality manufacturing, and improved shielding for RCA cables. Important to me because of number of gear in a limited space and RCAs are not balanced. I already have a pair of Monster Cables Interlink 400 MK II, better made, metal connectors, proper shielding. Legend RCA/Monster 400 are about the same, but sent me Monster 100, three steps down. Pics of Monster 400 MK II # 523 & 524

Name:  IMG_0523.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  65.6 KBName:  IMG_0524.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  67.2 KB

Recently, the only successful audio Web purchases I had were from Amazon.ca for items sold and shipped by Amazon: Audio-Technica ATP-N2 original stylus for my ATP-3 DJ cartridge shown prior here, since no genuine ATP-N3 stylus available. Model 2 stylus fits on model 3 cartridge being from same series, but its not as good/refined performer as model 3. Not much choice to keep it going... Amazon also had the AT 91 cartridge, purchased it, lower cost and heavier tracking, good enough for my AT LP120 turntable's less precise tonearm (issue mentioned here before), that turntable moving to upstairs living room, goodbye. Pics 545 & 547.

Name:  IMG_0545.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  51.7 KBName:  IMG_0547.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  50.6 KB

Btw first rogue retailer has the ATP-N2 stylus on his web site as "available" (not "in stock" this time!), but I know and have an e-mail from Canadian AT distributor its not available and they have none left in stock, I checked that before buying mine from Amazon. So looks like another bait & switch thing? Paid mine $98.CAD+ tx from Amazon, then stylus disappeared from the "sold and shipped by Amazon", possibly bought the or one of the last ones. Pic # 539

More to come regarding the cables solution.

Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  100.3 KB

The lack of Legend RCA cables (and maybe the Ultralink cables too?) meant I had to look for/find again something acceptable in Canada. Been busy searching for good alternative RCA cables, and most of the time they're not in stock, lower quality or crazy pricing for good ones, but did see a few prospects.

The BRTB Theatron THA series, hand made in Canada, is a rare one having all I want: gold plated quality metal connectors, twisted pair wires, double shielding, etc. They even make this one in 18" lenght (I would want some) and longer. Very nice cables. But they don't sell to consumers and I've seen no dealer having them for 1M length or less. Moreover, they appear to manufacture on order only, so longer delays one more time. Also have a $100. minimum order. Keeping this one in the back of my head for now. Pic # 531

Name:  IMG_0531.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  88.0 KB

Digiflex Canada, maker of Pro Audio cables, makes a few RCAs, one with Neutrik gold contact plugs, lifetime warranty, etc. The issue I have with this Touring series premium RCA cable is the 71% shield coverage (as seen in their wiring catalogue). I want better than 71% shielding, more like 100%, with many pieces of equipment very close to each other, including new turntable and phono preamp, to minimize risk of unwanted noise.

Digiflex has a "second best" type (i.e. not Touring series), which seems better for my needs as I went to check this at a local retailer, opening the screw type Neutrik Rean metal RCA connectors to see the inside story. Looks good, twisted pair, gold plated, etc., except for the single shield but it seems like a nice one. Now being pretty fed up trying and searching, with low success, at least I have an OK find here I would probably get a good deal on. That Digiflex cable looks pretty much the same as Link Audio's Platinum Series RCA cable model LP 203 RR. Pics # 556 Digiflex & 554 Link Audio.

Name:  IMG_0556.jpg
Size:  78.1 KBName:  IMG_0554.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  100.5 KB

Got a quote from my usual Pro audio supplier for that last Digiflex. GO, had enough of all this nonsense, search over with no manufacturing delays, no more internet bullshit and no bait & switch hassles. Done deal, 8 pairs ordered got a great price! This will make 10 pairs, with the Monster 400 MK II on-hand plus the Ultralink cables if and when they show up at the door. They'll hook-up the RCA stuff: turntable/phono preamp, two CD players, MD Digital Recorder, Dolby S cassette recorder, Sonic exciter if not used with XLRs

Initially thought purchasing ready-made RCA cables would be simple, fast and save me lots of time and effort, since I have many other cables waiting that I assemble myself with XLR and 1/4" connectors...

Looked in my "collection" of cheap RCA cables to see if I could find something a little more acceptable for the time being. Found a couple of surprises. One of those has 18" long with cable info printed on the jacket, can't recall seeing this on another in that class, they usually don't bother with this info at that level, nor in China. Could be a little better one? Another such cable 24" has "Japan" indicated on it, a rare occurrence these days for such things. Could also be a bit better? I may try temporarily the Japan made cable from turntable to Bellari phono preamp and the 18" cable from Bellari to mixer. The latter two units are very close to each other. Also have a turntable ground wire, from my old Technics sent to recycling, I could use this between new turntable and phono preamp grounding screws. Pics # 529, 526, 528 & 550.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0529.jpg
Size:  96.1 KBName:  IMG_0526.jpg
Size:  67.1 KBName:  IMG_0528.jpg
Size:  61.4 KBName:  IMG_0550.jpg
Size:  75.9 KB

Ultralink stuff finally arrived!

Fed Ex delivery guy woke me up this morning, now it was for a good cause, not the usual soliciting...

Though the retailer wasn't truthful with its "in stock" mentions, at least this time it didn't end up being another bait & switch thing. Great!

The banana plugs are nice and can take up to 10 AWG wire, the Maestro ones shown before up to 7 AWG wire.

As for the RCA cables, well its even better than I thought, since I didn't know it used Quad wiring made of double twisted pair. More Quad wiring general info in the other post here. Pics # 560, 561 & 562

Name:  IMG_0560.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  68.6 KBName:  IMG_0561.jpg
Size:  69.5 KBName:  IMG_0562.jpg
Size:  80.1 KB

Japan's Canare Cables has been involved with Quad wiring for a long time. For those who want to know a bit more about this Quad thing I'm also posting here two pages from an older Canare catalogue I have. I'm not associated with them in any way, but I do own a Canare microphone cable, not Star Quad, the L-2T2S being a slimmer version also Made in Japan. I've had this cable since the eighties or nineties, still in perfect shape, certainly my preferred one vs others I have mostly from Digiflex. Canare cable isn't cheap compared to some others (about $1 CAD per foot or meter depending on model, no connectors) but it certainly is quality built and durable. Digiflex does offer some Canare cables with connectors but these are a premium option $. The L-2T2S may well outlast me... Pics # 564, 566 & 568

Richard

Name:  IMG_0564.jpg
Size:  148.0 KBName:  IMG_0566.jpg
Size:  128.3 KBName:  IMG_0568.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB

Thread Information