Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Last night gave a two-hour "road test" to the new stylus on the SC35C using various LPs. Sounds quite acceptable to my ears. Can't really tell the difference between the red and the higher cost light blue SS35C. Shure's sound for less money and it tracks lighter at 3 gr. Had checked my settings before, including with Shure's cart protractor.

Not Grand Class stuff but for someone on a budget looking for a Shure its an option to consider. If you find a good acceptably priced used SC35C plus Shure N25C stylus, you could be in business for reasonable money, since with that duo you don't really need the almost $100. SS35C stylus.

In a recent Shure search for tech sheets i came across the following Stereophile review of the SC35C which i never saw before. The comments are impressive, mine posted previously here didn't go as far. Have a look, its a 5 min. read. The reviewer mounted the SC35C on his Pioneer turntable headshell using much too long screws, adding extra mass you normally try to avoid. On this aspect his installation seems a little amateur, not the best example.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/g...-3-shure-sc35c

Cart screws situation should look more like on the following pic. Screw goes through the thin plastic washer plus the nut and stops there. Mine exceed a bit due to screws having tapered ends, usually they don't.

Richard

Name:  IMG_2691.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  51.9 KB

INTERESTING INFO REGARDING JBL CONE DRIVERS HAVING FOAM INSIDE...

Came across this info from an authentic JBL document in my stuff.

The problem with such foam is that it disintegrates with time and becomes sticky, plus it may have moved around inside increasing the cleanup work to be done, e.g. in the driver gap. A pain in the ...

To do a nice job in removing inside woofer foam rot, you basically have to remove the foil cal and screen at the back, plus cut the dust cap open to check and clean the gap of any foam that migrated there.

I've posted before an official JBL woofer sketch indicating these have a "Foam vent plug or screen", the key word being "or". Well, old info just found appears to confirm the "or" should in fact be "and/or", since i have a list of older JBL drivers having such foam plug, along with the plug's part number. That means originally these models were positive inside foam presence cases, and i'm pretty confident a number of them also have a screen at the back!

Moreover, that list is probably not complete, based on doc date and the fact the 2214H i own was released within that date, had inside foam but its not on the list shown... The explanation coming to mind for this is the 2214H, with no foil cal nor screen at the back, was not a retail or catalog model but rather an OEM one, available as repair replacement for example, whereas the others shown were catalog models? (can't say about the M series).

Please don't repost the info shown on other Web site(s).

Richard

Name:  IMG_2733.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  24.3 KB

Hi Richard.

interesting, yes. Particularly for newer members, and visitors.

But... burying it in a 31-page blog in a sub-forum intended for Professional Amp discussion is probably not the best way to reach an audience.
    I do appreciate the resources and info you bring to the table!

Best regards,

-dave/grumpy

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comment, i appreciate. Food for thought, certainly.

The only place where i more or less agree is the "Particularly for newer members". Personnaly i'd be surprised if say 25% or more of members really knew the foam plug presence or not for each driver mentioned on that list (plus 2214H i added). In other words i think your comment is probably further reaching than you thought!

If the Administrators see this info being worthy, as we do, maybe i should ask them to make a "Sticky" thread copy of Post # 452 for everyone to see more easily? Best Regards,

Richard

I mentioned a number of posts back, that Shure's long discontinued M95ED phono cartridge, and its later reissue in the Encore series as the ME95ED (with a more modern design), was for some time Shure's No. 2 cart in the lineup just under the V15 carts. Memory served me well then, recently found proof of this, read the short paragraph on pic describing the ME95ED.

As for the lower cost of the Encore version, well Shure mentions further new manufacturing techniques are involved, however what they skipped is that Shure moved cart production to Mexico in the 1980's where labor costs are much lower...

I'm still amazed at how good this old No. 2 can perform when properly setup, no wonder it was a "worldwide favorite" as they say. Regarding the M/E 97HE on the left side it arrived somewhat later as i recall, confirmation of this its not on the Encore series leaflet i posted before in this thread, five carts are on it but not the 97. Btw, the description of the 95 shows a seldom occurence (excluding the V15 series and a few), where Shure states "flat frequency response" for one of their not too expensive model. More often than not no response flatness info was given. But i tend to agree this one is flat or so.

Richard

P.S. Had a little issue recently with my ME95ED and the cure was a very easy fix, might happen to other owners. Plus decided to use another cartridge protractor with new settings. No looking back here, its a joy! Coming soon.

Name:  IMG_2778.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  86.9 KB

THE STEVENSON PHONO CARTRIDGE PROTRACTOR

Among the bunch of phono cartridge alignment protractors on-hand, have mainly used the AT that came with the AT LP5 turntable with some correction to it due to poor China execution of that cardboard protractor). Then switched to Shure's protractor.

Of the two types mentioned here the Baerwald may be the best known, others are derived from it (having the same null points or so), such as the Shure, Fluance, Styli.co.nz . The other type being the Stevenson, with the Audio-Technica based on it, both using the same null points adjustment. The AT version that one downloads from the Web and prints on paper appears to be better made than the one provided with my LP5.

Some days ago i decided to try the Stevenson protractor since it has different settings than the other group (description on pic; info given there is not mine maybe from a reviewer i guess). The main claim about this protractor is distortion reduction. A bit more tricky to use than Shure's for example due to the small size of the lines printed on it. But on the positive side the adjustment's precision seems very good.

The important aspect in using Stevenson's is to verify the scale at the top after printing it from download. This to ensure its printed the exact same size as the original in order to get best results. My small size metric ruler confirms i'm right on the 180 mm reference measurement (might need to print landscape?). As shown on pic, i cut-off the excess paper for better protractor fit on turntable platter, kept only the relevant part. (Pic is clear, no problem to increase its size for text reading purpose).

One of the protractor manufacturers suggests to put a record on the TT and then the protractor on top. Makes sense to me since some rubber mats are not perfectly flat on their whole surface. Chose an old test LP for this task, one side has test tones i want to keep (face down) and the other side is boring music i don't care about (face up). That manufacturer also suggests trying to get both null points as perfectly aligned as possible, however if you can only achieve one null point to perfect alignment (it may happen) then the one closest to the spindle should be privileged. I was able to get both correctly.

Mounting distance from tonearm pivot to stylus (the moving back of the cart in shell mentioned in the text) was not a problem at all with the headshells i use, AT 2 models, Technics 2 models, etc., there's even some space left. On the other hand the carts did require some adjustment to conform to the new set of parallel and perpendicular lines. Not rocket science, just precision work.

Used the 220 Pf capacitance setting on the phono pre, add some from wiring/cables plus preamp should be about right. Some knowledgeable fellows recommend using a stylus tracking force near the top of the suggested range, instead of near the bottom of that range, this to minimize stylus mistracking, apparently a more serious issue than potential record wear from higher mass. In absence of a specific tracking force recommended then its what i do.

Did two 3-hour record spinning sessions during which i tested the Stevenson protractor settings. First time used the AT 408 cart (recom. 1.25 gr.) and the second time using Shure's ME95ED (1.4 gr.). Done twice to confirm its real, not my imagination or bias: can it be repeated with another cart? Answer is YES. I'm pleased with the results.

Note the sound's improvement is not limited to tracking near the end of the LP, hell no. The increased clarity, definition and presence i experienced were notable. Some sounds previously softer are more audible now.

I find the benefits sufficiently superior to justify transferring my other cartridges to the Stevenson settings. The test on these two has revealed both cart's true potential in my view. Then a pretty simple decision for my part: Baerwald type alignment is out, welcome to the Stevenson world... Moreover its FREE! (Looks like vinyl engine where i got the Stevenson some time ago now requires to register for a free account to get downloads. Wasn't the case when i did).

Richard

Name:  IMG_2718.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  76.5 KB

Thread Information