Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Bgw amp plus eq for free!

BGW 100B Pro power amp rated 50 W/ch. 8 ohms and 60 W/ch. 4 ohms (actual factory test: 55/80/162W mono).

YES, its absolutely FREE (shipping costs NOT included though, I won't pay to give it away!). Why give?

I've noted there may be some fans of BGW legacy here, so I decided to offer it here first in case, before sending it to recycling. I had two of these amps, one is already gone and the other is offered here.

Since I just received a nice reimbursement from the tax man, plus had put some money aside for new gear, I think extra cash is a good opportunity to act and timing is good to replace some of my older audio gear.

Plus I NEVER sell used audio equipment, not even for a dollar, not here nor on E-Bay. I always prefered to give it away for nothing, to someone who may enjoy it, since to me it has no monetary value left considering its age. As an accountant would say its been fully depreciated and has no book value anymore... Working fine or not the price is the same.

Good or bad, my audio equipment policies are: quality purchased new, hold on to it for a long time, when replacing time comes give away for free, don't sell on E-Bay or other. If no takers its going to electronics recycling.

That amp was purchased new by me in 1980 or so, never been on the road, has no dents nor scratches. One rack unit, about 19 lbs, "totally modular construction and large aluminum heat-sink." XLR/1/4". Haven't used it for a while so I need to confirm operational status.

I have the owner's manual (with full schematics and complete parts list), individually measured factory specs sheet dated 10 Dec 1979, product data sheet and most probably the original purchase invoice in my papers. The only thing I don't have for sure is the original box.

My responsability is limited to packaging it and dropping it at a Canada Post office, UPS or Purolator store for shipping. The beneficiary is responsible for making shipping arrangements AND PAYING for the carrier.

Naturally, considering the amps age someone with Electronics Technician's skills may be a good idea as I CANNOT predict the future regarding the amps longevity... There's no warranty, expressed or implied as they say, it comes as is, nice looking, for the circuitry its your baby...

Two years ago I gave away a nice and fine working 38 years old rack mount Spectro Acoustics pre-amp. I also have a nice and fine working Spectro Acoustics Octave Band graphic EQ purchased in 1979, used it a few months ago and still going fine! I'm willing to let it go also, for free as usual (shipping not included) if someone is interested. Same conditions. Pro construction and reliability but with sturdy RCA connectors. I still have the easy on/off rack mount adaptors, owner's manual, probably the invoice too. Spectro Acoustics was created by Bob Carver's former engineering colleagues at Phase Linear. If you want to know more on Spectro's story let me know.

I'm not in a rush as I have other power amps and EQs, but don't want to drag this on since I need space in the rack for new gear (or another rack), otherwise these will go to recycling...

Let me know here if you're interested by the amp and/or EQ.

REPLACEMENTS CONSIDERED:

For some its relatively easy. EQ: DBX Pro 1215 quite similar to my other EQ's. CD player: Tascam 200 series. Power amps are the bugger, rack space too! Not looking for hi-fi type stuff, already have that (NAD, Onkyo), rather looking for more PRO gear, built like it, dressed like it, perform the same and provide flexibility. No interest in Kilowatt amps. 200W bridged OK, seeking more quality than quantity.

ART, "In most cases, we simply do not stock replacement parts on older products where they are discontinued and the warranty period has expired", not good for me, goodbye!

Bryston 2B LP Pro, a favorite, pricing seen 2.3K+! for 60/100/200W, stretching it I could buy 2, but no $ left...

Crown, moving to Mexico?, Adios amigos, forget about me...

Ashly, SRA series, nice but cheap Euroblock plastic connectors on a 1K $ amp? NO WAY, for now...

Crest Audio, PA-150, seems discontinued, gain controls on back, prefer on the front, barrier strip in/out only(still available as IPS-150 In Peavey Commercial/Architectural Acoustics)

Rolls, RA 200, former owner of DOD (his initials), has most of what I want, no XLR but can live with balanced Neutrik 1/4" TRS, MOSFET!, high slew rate!, 70/100/200 W, 2 rack spaces maybe, at $575 CAD I can buy a few, "Regardless of age we don't usually charge for repairs, a lot of people really like this", me too! (like Bryston)

QSC, RMX 850a, it has everything I like and more!, except for the fan some say noisy others say not so?? Any member's info on this? Deeper, much heavier, more powerful, 2 rack spaces, though would complement my other QSC amps, at $500. CAD I could buy a few. Really tough call between QSC and Rolls, I like both...

Other suggestions or insight welcomed.

Richard

Nice offer. I hope you find someone nearby who can give them a good home.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi BMWCCA,

Thanks for dropping in.

With close to 50 views on the post, and still no takers for a FREE no strings attached amp, I get the impression the interest in BGW legacy may be more in info than making it happen?, or fellows simply don't want to pay for shipping?, which should not cost a lot depending on where one is located...

For those interested in knowing how it looked like inside a 100B in 1979, I took some pictures hopefully to be posted tomorrow (no time now). The amp does turn-on (normal transformer sound and idle lights on; a good start!), but I haven't had time today to hook it up in a system and test it with music reproduction. That may happen tomorrow, I'll let the guys know. Regards,

Richard

Okay, okay! You've shamed me as a BGW fan from nearly 50-years ago—I'll take the amp!

I'll PM you. Will I have to pay customs on a US product coming back to its home?

Actually, I see that you want the recipient to arrange the shipping. From my experience in buying stuff from Canada, that can be a pain for us USA residents. On second thought you may need someone from Canada to express an interest before any of us south-of-the-border take you up on this.

Thanks!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

As promised, herewith a few pictures of the BGW 100B.

You can see the idle lights being on in the bottom pictures.

Name:  BGW 100 B 3.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  96.1 KBName:  BGW 100 B 2.jpg
Views: 5183
Size:  117.3 KBName:  BGW 100 B 1.jpg
Views: 4737
Size:  119.0 KB

Hi BMWCCA,

Damn lucky fellow you are, because today I tested the amp, using the 1/4" inputs, for 3 hours of music reproduction, and guess what? Its working like 38 years ago, except for a small static noise in the left channel gain control, which I may be able to remove with contact cleaner I have "Caig's Deoxit Fader F5", unless you would rather do it your way, let me know.

Listening to it today I was having second thoughts about giving the amp and thinking about cancelling the offer if nobody took it. Stupid me, but a promise made is a promise honored, no ifs and buts, and no walking back, as there's also other gear I want to try and have extra cash for.

Correction: contrary to what I wrote earlier, there are a few very minor scratches on the top cover, possibly from in and out of the rack, but no dents.

With regards to the Spectro Acoustics EQ, it was between the pre-amp and power amp during the whole test. I tried again all sliders and knob: not a single glitch! for a 39 years old EQ. If you or someone else knows another good home for it the offer still stands. In the meantime its not with my Pro gear but rather used in a hi-fi setup. Its 2 rack spaces high, plus I still have the original easy rack mount adaptors and owner manual.

I'm amazed and delighted by the long life of these old purchases and others I made, good USA made gear from the old days, and still serving...

Please don't sell the amp to someone else, I would not feel good about that since I give it away for free for someone else's enjoyment not for money. But you may very well give it for free to another BGW fan...

Seen a thread recently here about power amps for 2405 or other tweeters, including your own posts on that, may I say to a Crown man and others that I've seen numerous times in the past such devices being powered by BGW 100B? If my memory is correct, BGW even made a successor to it: 100C or another number like 140 or something. Don't take me wrong, I have high respect for Crown, but in the old days the Canadian distributor (Crown then sold here as Amcron, he also distributed B & W speakers) had a sky high rigid price list I couldn't afford, and BGW was more competitive.

I will reply to your PM soon with specifics. Regards,

Richard

Hi BMWCCA,

Two things I forgot.

Re the thread on 2405 amps, I forgot to mention the 100B has no turn on delay/instant off upon shutdown. At the end of my test today I didn't hear at shutdown any of the noise mentioned in the thread, but I have a habit with this amp of turning off the gain controls before amp turn off. Plus, as indicated in the manual, I always turn-on the amp after other units.

No intent to shame you or anyone about BGW. A simple note taking on my part of the fact no one raised his hand, even for a working and free BGW legacy amp! Nobody should feel obliged to take it, the only thing that's sad would be throwing such in the recycling bin... if on the other hand, you're happy as this is the right opportunity to make your BGW legacy coming out, be my guest, do it. I willingly admit having a crush on Crown for a long time with regards to some of their products (but $$$). Now, even with extra cash on hand the move to Mexico pisses me off, like so many such moves even from Canada...

Richard

Smile

Wow! This is cool amp and nice gesture! Congratulations to new owner!
    do not surrender never, except when you have to

Hi MoD,

Yes, cool but heavy! I put it on a scale with attached power cord and get 20 lbs! (9 kg) This is built like a tank... and about twice the weight of recent comparable ones in terms of power output. But recent ones use class D or some other thing...

Richard

EDIT: I may have other stuff in the future to give away, who knows...

Pictures of qsc model 1100 (another one rack space amp)

I'm glad to report the BGW 100B has found a good home to continue serving...

I'm posting here a few pictures of the QSC 1100 Pro amp, another small size one, for comparison purposes only (not for sale nor give away). Its interesting to see how technology evolves within the same category, eleven years later.

BGW 100B made Dec. 1979 VS QSC 1100 made Dec. 1990. The former weighs about 20 lb. and the latter 12 lb. Miniaturization of components may also play a role in this, as well as somewhat thinner steel. In 1991 the latter one sold for $895. in Canada.

The more recent one has smaller depth, is lighter, uses a toroidal transformer, has XLR/1/4" TRS/Barrier strip, Dip switches, etc., similar output but adds 2 ohms capability, 8-4-2 ohms 50/70/90 W, 8-4 ohms bridged 140/160 W, plus 2 DB dynamic headroom. EDIT: for minor corrections.

Richard
    Name:  IMG_0117.jpg
Views: 4831
Size:  92.4 KBName:  IMG_0115.jpg
Views: 4447
Size:  100.4 KBName:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 3838
Size:  99.5 KB

Newer amplifier is build in more efficient manner, what can you say about difference in sound?
    do not surrender never, except when you have to

Farewell to my last bgw amp...

"You will regret it, letting the amp go" wife says. I know, she may very well be right, as usual. The BGW has been with me even longer than her! (38 VS 32 years). I will probably want to hit myself on the head with a hammer when this is gone. Dumb me. But I need to try other and newer stuff, and there can't be horses pulling carriages on the streets forever either. Seeing it go to a good home, along with the EQ, makes me feel better though.

The amps, since I had two of these (one gone), as well as a Spectro Acoustics Pre-amp previously given, and the EQ, represented what I'm attached to: quality, reliability, performance... In other words, built like a tank, bullet proof dependability and sings nicely like a bird. I purchased all four pieces of equipment new with money from a part-time job, while being a University student. Now its time to move on and modernize with new equipment, while the old one still works, and let someone else enjoy these for a while.

I've cleaned the amp's very slightly offending left gain control (small static noise), plus I cleaned the right one too, with Caig's Deoxit Fader F5 and re-tested it working both gain controls, with the EQ in the signal path, for another couple of hours. They still perform like in the old days. Not bad for 38-39 years old stuff! BGW was overbuilt for tough conditions and long lasting. Nice to come-by in a world of cheap disposables.

Listening again to music from CDs for dynamic range, with these late 70's amp and EQ, using another pre-amp and a pair of bookshelf British speakers this time, just confirms to me this is it: fast, dynamic, nice sounding. Just keep wanting more. To answer MoD's question, I prefer the BGW sound to that of the comparable and more recent QSCs 1100 I also have, as well as others.

I went back to the BGW manual to find some info regarding the amp's sound, maybe it lies in this explanation, among others given: "The Op-Amp is a special unit featuring high speed (15 Mhz) and a high slew rate (50 volts/microseconds) yet still having very low noise ...". The founder of BGW was an Engineer with National Semiconductor. I assume he knew the good stuff from the bad one in electronic circuitry...

However, compared to new one rack space amps from other manufacturers at 10 lb., this older BGW 100B is larger and much heavier for the category. As for the BGW models that replaced this old fellow, I checked, these were model # 150 (1983) and model # 200 (1990), both more powerful and lighter at 14 lb...

Thanks, Brian Gary Wachner for all those years of flawless enjoyment, same to Spectro Acoustics fellows. BTW, the BGW amp name still exists, but in a different way, bgw.com

Richard

P.S. Most likely a pair of Ashly SRA-2150 Class-D amps will replace the BGWs in my setup, though I'm not a fan at all of those Euroblock connectors. But Ashly usually makes good gear. Not sure though the newer amps will last as long as the BGW. On the other side of the coin, I'd really like to try a Rolls RA-200 Studio amp: special high performance transformer, MOSFET output drivers and very high slew rate of 100 v/microsecond (Bryston 2B LP Pro 60 v/microsecond). Rolls is made by the same guy who formerly made a great EQ I still own. Plus, I haven't seen a recent MOSFET amp in a LONG time! Could be nice. I'll try to squeeze this in the budget, along with other audio purchases I have to make. May be able to go for it!

HI All!

I am the lucky recipient here.

The BGW is in fine shape and is the heaviest 1RU thing I have ever handled! It seems perfect and runs cooler than any of my 1RU D series Crowns. It powers up and down nicer too.

Today I finally got around to making a pair of XLR pin two - pin three swap cables and have the BGW driving the 4435's in my office.

It sounds great and just might be used to power a pair of studio gray JBL 4502 3 ways I am building for my youngest daughter.

THANK YOU RMC!!!
    We are both grateful for your kindness.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

The aftermath of the bgw/eq give away...

Following-up, here's a summary of what happened to my equipment replacement list partially mentioned in post # 1.

Well, It took a lot of work here and there to get where I wanted to be on the new equipment purchases, but I finally got there wednesday after lots of back and forth with dealers, plus a few bumps on the road and deceptions...

Like that well known local place where at the last minute the price quoted on an additional item (equipment rack) was quite unreasonable vs others (to make up for the other gear?) and the deposit agreed upon suddenly became full payment in advance for all the equipment, now pretexting everything is special order, and no available date. Too bad for them, I walked away...

I finally closed the deal wednesday with local real Pros with whom I also had parallel discussions on this matter: this time no bullshit, no song, no go around and no low-ball/twist at the end. Just nice Pro service, good volume purchase pricing and a private guided tour of the whole facility (huge). Moreover, the deposit requested is a fraction of the total cost of 4,200. $CAD.

So 10 pieces of equipment now on order, all in one transaction, scheduled to arrive Oct. 31 or so. My waiting and grouping of purchases not only gave me better deals than CDN Web prices, but also let me do more mileage for the same money...

2 X Ashly SRA-2150 amps (to replace the BGW amps), one Ashly XR-1001 24 db crossover (addition to others I have), one Tascam CD-200 player (addition), one DBX 1215 EQ (addition), one Allen & Heath ZED-14 mixer (to replace my smaller of two Mackies), one Rolls HR-261 XLR/RCA Sonic Maximizer (toy to play with/try), one Audio-Technica AT 2035 large diaphragm Studio mic, one CAD GXL 2200SP Studio mic kit (2200 large diaphragm +1200 + PF5A), and one Galaxy Audio CM-140 Sound Level Meter (addition).

The Rolls RA 200 Studio Amp mentioned previously, or another Ashly?, as well as a new small equipment rack-addition (e.g. Middle Atlantic slim 2-6M 6 RU, now can get this at better price) will have to wait for next year's audio budget. By the same token, if space permits, MAYBE I'll get my "dream" small mixer to replace my other original Mackie with a Soundcraft GB 2R 12/2 (special order only, about 6 weeks delay here, and quite a few dollars less in the bank...).

Richard

P.S. Though this is NOT a commitment to give it away here on this site, in any case let me know if you are really interested in getting an absolutely FREE (shipping cost excluded) original, made in USA, fine shape/working (I'll re-check it, last use it worked great), Mackie 1202 mixer with owner manual (four mic/line XLR/1/4" TRS Neutrik inputs plus four stereo inputs, etc.). NOT for resale though. Based on replies I get, from here and elsewhere, then I'll decide If I let it go and to whom. "Conditional wording" used above is based on my past experience here with older gear given away and not much interest shown by members, therefore I reserve the right offering it elsewhere too and to give it or not. Sorry, but I don't want to spend too much time on gear given free, and in any case I won't be unhappy keeping/using it a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Thanks, Brian Gary Wachner for all those years of flawless enjoyment, same to Spectro Acoustics fellows. BTW, the BGW amp name still exists, but in a different way, bgw.com
    I had some difficult to drive (4 ohm, sometimes 3) speakers that I really enjoyed.
    On guidance from a super helpful LHF member, (thanx again Loach71) , he got me on the BGW track.

I have a beast 750D on the 250Ti's and a 250D on the rears, both controlled with a BGW 203 preamp. These are essentially MILSPEC gear.

The pre needed some maint a couple of years ago, I took it to the guy who most likely is the best in N. Oregon/S. Washington. He commented on it "A real pleasure working on quality gear like that"

Also have a 320 distribution amp, but have never even tested it , pristine condition tho.

let us know how the new gear compares
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information