MY LAUGH OF THE DAY

Sometimes marketing shows great imagination and a few exaggerations... Came across a Cerwin-Vega Web page ad from one of their dealers for a speaker part of their XLS series, model 215. Retailer wrote 24 hz bass which raised a red flag with me for the type of box shown, so went to see CV's speaker web page.

That changed the 24hz bass story but the laugh remained: "Simply the biggest, baddest tower on the market... delivers earth-shaking bass down to 36 hz With guaranteed "eviction notice." LOL, not good for sales, never seen that one before, makes me wonder how many tenants, or even husbands for that matter, got evicted from home or found their suitcase on the sidewalk next to the XLS 215? Would the latter be part of the divorce settlement?

Looking at the LF response data at the bottom of the page tells F3 38 hz and F10 36 hz!, pretty short of sismic bass, imagine at what level response would be for 24 hz. LF response that drops like a rock, like 7 db drop for two little hertz here, is often a sign of a bass bump right before the very steep drop. Smells like the "amplitude trick" once again.

So, one probably won't get thrown out for earthquake bandwidth bass here, might be more for bumpy bass. On the interesting side I note the Waveguides for both the 6.5" cone mid and the dome tweeter which follows the market waveguide trend.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1433.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  107.9 KB