Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Six speaker outputs!, WOW, Pretty cool. Can't remember seeing that before.

Not sure my cartesian mind approaches this correctly...

Amp must have min. impedance limit, can you run or not 3 pairs spkrs? Or amp spkr selector like A+B, B+C or A/B/C at once?

Since you have 18Ti and sub under bed how they're connected, XO in a powered sub, or passive sub(s) in parallel to 18Ti and let sub roll-off at higher end?

Its a nice device. Amp is how many watts?
    guess I didn't describe it well , hoped pic would help.

ONLY has A speakers, 1 pair . They are to banana jacks.
    you leave the black wire/jack always to the center.
    RED one can go either to it's left or right

left is normal (insert headphone jack up front, cuts off speaker)
    to the right - (insert headphone jack up front, DOES NOT cut off speaker)

30wpc - passive sub (dual 6.5 design acoustics)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Then i must be dumb. Pic showed inside the amp not the back panel.

This is how i understand it, maybe wrong again...

Name:  IMG_2213.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  67.5 KB

plugged to 3-5 & 4-6 gives you speakers AND phones at the same time

5-7 & 6-8 cuts off headphone output, speakers only, as is normal

sub came from sat/sub system,,,. so signal IN and then back OUT to sats (18's)

you have L & R on the logical L & R

where actually L is top row
    R is bottom row.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'll give it a go

There are two channels (L and R) brought to the six single conductor banana jacks:

Left and Right channels are grouped in the two horizontal rows (of three jacks).
    The center column, the two black jacks, are always used (ground).

The red pair on one side is hard-wired to the amplifier output.
    The red pair on the other side is switched or relayed to disconnect when headphones are present.

If using dual banana plugs, they would be horizontal, one above, one directly below, and there would be two empty red jacks (both far right or both far left).

So... one would normally use four of the jacks to connect two speakers (possibly adding a mono sub that would sum both channels... as you might do for any other stereo amp),
    selecting the set of four based on your preference of whether inserting headphones cut the speaker output, or not. The subwoofer element is a red herring.

I think that's the intent. Clear as mud?

Seawolf... did I get the switched functionality wrong? I thought it was the headphone presence that switched the 7-8 outputs, not the other way round (shrug)
    At any rate, I think there's now a dead horse involved.
    Last edited by grumpy; 03-13-2021 at 07:49 PM. Reason: LOL... seems I was a few seconds late ... the picture certainly helps :D

Pretty late now, think i'll have another look at it tomorrow with rested eyes and a clear mind... Nice try Grumpy but right now might be "clear as mud".

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I'll give it a go
    I think that's the intent. Clear as mud?

Seawolf... did I get the switched functionality wrong? I thought it was the headphone presence that switched the 7-8 outputs, not the other way round (shrug)
    At any rate, I think there's now a dead horse involved.
    You explained it better than I did.

The instructions on which pair did which were confusing to me .. so I tried
    both ways and settled on normal operation .. don't remember which was right and haven't looked back there since.

Thanks to both of you, seems more clear now. And it took a picture, a red herring, some mud, a shrug and a dead horse to figure it out! Looks a bit like Voodoo "science" i guess (African magical and religious rites, and characterized by sorcery and spirit possession-Google). Wish i could possess all three too...

Can't say its a simple intuitive device to connect when left and right, or horizontal, are really up and down. Need to see the back panel.

You discussed earlier speakers + phones, and speakers alone. Say you have an afternoon nap listening to 18Ti/sub (normal setting), the you decide to switch to headphones listening only. Do you have to pull the amp to go to the back panel in order to change the connections? Every time?

You discussed earlier speakers + phones, and speakers alone. Say you have an afternoon nap listening to 18Ti/sub (normal setting), the you decide to switch to headphones listening only. Do you have to pull the amp to go to the back panel in order to change the connections? Every time?
    nope. it's set NORMAL now .. plug in phones, speakers stop.

AH! That's good. Makes sense.

Sea (phones man),

After two bad experiences with Sennheiser headphones, one very poor sound the other a vice on the head, decided to look elsewhere.

Been tracking Grado Canada for about a year now and their affordable phones (SR-60e, 80e and 125e) have been out of stock all along, and still are today. Pretty crazy, people must be eating phones for dinner!

Patience depleted with Grado. So now considering some Beyer DT 240 Pro ($100. CAD), subject to availability. At that price not expecting a miracle but at least correct sound. Will test it at dealer location with MD portable recorder. Nothing to lose, i don't put a dime down (like for Tascam CD), dealer orders and if i don't like it he sends it back to distributor, something i don't abuse of. He gets a chance of making a sale, plus future business.

Dealer informed me today he can order the phones, but he says Beyer is experiencing long delays... and he'll check what they have in stock (they know of delays from dealing with Beyer for PRO microphones and headphones).

Don't like the coil cord on the unit, a deal breaker. However, on that model its removable (mini jack at each end), and found in my stuff a nice 6' straight cord with mini jacks, likely would fit, will see at dealer if i get the phones. Could dump the coil cord!!

Any wisdom to share on that Beyer model or similar? Any feedback good or bad appreciated.

Name:  IMG_2215_LI.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  63.6 KBName:  IMG_2216_LI.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  63.9 KBName:  IMG_2218_LI.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2220.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  94.9 KBName:  IMG_2224.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  75.6 KB

Sea (phones man),
    Any wisdom to share on that Beyer model or similar? Any feedback good or bad appreciated.
    My phones experiences shud not tar an entire brand.

Grado ?? (60,80,125) Have had 5 or 6 . Often fall apart. UN-natural sound, usually bass heavy. Like an audiofan version of BEATS.

Beyer ? only had 2 or 3. break often too, tho look well made. Had DT-990Pro (TOTL) seemed dull , one ear went out.

In the lower end category, I like FOSTEX RP series. Orthodynamic. replaceable cord, seemingly indestructible.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fos....13742/reviews

https://www.zzounds.com/item--FOST20RP

Haven't heard back from dealer checking Beyer phones available. That might be an example of the delays Beyer is experiencing these days as mentioned. In the meantime looking at other alternatives such as the Fostex.

The Fostex RP headphones seem relatively large to me compared to the Sennheisers i'm used to. To get an idea i compared their rated weight (without cable):

- Sen 414X 135 gr (btw 414, no X, 74gr, surprisingly a notable difference vs the X model)

- Sen 480 series 2, 135 gr, just looking at these one could swear they must be heavier than 414X but they are not

- Sen HD 25 Light, 115-120 gr

- Beyer DT 240 Pro, 196 gr

- Fostex RP series, 315 gr

The first three i own, the last two i'm looking at. What strikes me here is the weight of the Fostex is about 2.5 times that of the 480ii. Not trivial to me. Size, comfort and sound matter. Bigger is usually heavier. Phones & cable weight is part of their comfort, as well as how hard they're compressing the ears/head.

While the trend in speakers has been for smaller ones, the trend for headphones seems to be the opposite, having people wear "speakers" on their ears/head. Clever marketing pushes comfort and performance up the price ladder along with larger size.

In my view its quite possible to make/sell decent phones for about $100. considering a lot of that stuff is made in low cost Asia. But there's more money to be made if you push those criterias up the ladder...

Right now for me i see the Fostex size and weight as two strikes against it, however good the sound may be. I seem to remember one fellow commenting about some ear compression?

Might have to purchase a soccer ball or similar to put the HD 25 Light on it trying to remedy the vice on the ears/head issue since their sound isn't bad, its ok. "Salvaging" these would be cheaper than buying another.

Got dealer reply today about availability of the Beyer headphones had in sight...

6-8 weeks delay to get the phones. But the best part is Beyer requires dealer to purchase quantities in order to get any, LOL. Not gonna pay for 3 or 5 of them just to get one, that's for sure. Goodbye Beyer.

Funny that about a year ago their competitor Sennheiser Canada imported for me from Sennheiser USA, no questions asked, the last North American pair of HD 25 Light phones made in Europe (now Asia?), which arrived here within a few days only! Didn't even have to pay in USD, rather discounted Canadian price. A different story.

Nowadays with headphones selling like hot cakes, my impression is Beyer would rather retail them on their Web site than selling it wholesale cost to dealer who then sells it to me at a discounted price. Probably more money to be made in retailing their own stuff.

Out of curiosity, have asked dealer how much a pair of Fostex RP would cost me. This with no indication if the distributor has any left, might be none there too...

By all means, cross off those heavy fostex's off your list then.

I did see a Dynex pair that were small and light with a straight
    cord at the 99 cent store last week .. might fit your needs , not sure 'bout SQ ?

Thread Information