Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

ASHLY SRA- 2150 (pics # 327, 328, 331)

The amp is rated the following way: 8/4 ohms/bridged is 80 W/ 150 W/ 300 W respectively, and Ashly mentions that regardless of impedance used the amp is current limited at a certain point, the design limit I suppose. The amp weight is about half that of the BGW 100Bs they are replacing.

They are convection cooled class D amps, no heat sinks seen inside looking thru a couple of vents with light. But it has 5 vents on top, 5 on the bottom and one on the front panel for air inflow. So many vents is surprising for the amp size and class.

Moreover, there isn't a whole lot of stuff inside the unit, about half the space doesn't seem to be used, so not jam packed like the BGW 100B. I also noted Ashly's internal main circuit board is COPYRIGHTED!, this is clearly indicated right on the board as seen thru vents. I assume Ashly has developed a particular proprietary technology or circuitry they want to protect from copying...

These amps have my first owned Euroblock connectors on power amps, though I've seen them previously on Cloud power amps I also looked at, plus I was given a bag with various Euroblock connectors by my dealer. Can't say that I'm a big fan of Euroblocks but I admit its a clever and practical device with no soldering to do. For sturdiness and reliability it remains to be seen. I'm mostly familiar with Neutrik and Switchcraft XLR & 1/4" type, I do use some RCAs too, so we'll see how I get along with the new connectors.

I've seen on the Euroblocks alreay installed on the amp that the screws to tighten the wires are on the bottom side of the connectors, not on the top side usually seen by the user, so this is less practical for a quick check on wire tightness for example, even though the connectors are removable. I can imagine a couple of reasons for having it done this way.

The Ashly amps also come with a small note in the box regarding the Final Quality Check and Performance Test done on each unit before leaving the factory, and its initialed by those involved in the QC process. I tend to like such steps being an indication that quality control people have indeed verified not only a small random sample, but rather each unit with its serial number indicated. People caring for quality made stuff is great news these days.

Finally, Ashly's owner manual is also nicer at 12 pages than the one which came with the DBX 1215, presented as a premium EQ.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0327.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  73.4 KBName:  IMG_0328.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  60.6 KBName:  IMG_0331.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  64.2 KB

The rolls mosfet amp and at-lp5 turntable have arrived home!

Some of the stuff further below isn't part of Audio's glamour side, but it sure is part of purchasing audio gear sometimes.

Last week I picked up my latest audio purchases from dealer. The AT-LP5 is to replace my recent AT-LP120 which I don't really like in terms of tonearm precision for use with better (lighter tracking) phono cartridges, as previously explained in a recent post here. Opening that box wasn't my priority. As for the MOSFET amp, well I never had one of these among my amps and really wanted to try one before there's no affordable ones left on the market (the number of MOSFET amps available new seems to be melting like snow under the sun...). Price wise its a little more expensive than say a China made Crown XLS 1002, but I got a good deal on the Rolls and it has no fan (noise) since its more of a studio type amp.

I tend to like Rolls who thinks and does things differently than others, also still manufactures in the USA, but sadly a number of their interesting products have been discontinued, some left though, and they carry this policy "Regardless of age we don't usually charge for repairs, a lot of people really like this." Not many such companies remain in the industry. So I prefer to encourage such fellows with my dollars...

Apart from what follows below, I toured the amp quickly, as well as looking inside thru the ventilation slots with light, and it seems to be well made in and out. The gain controls' rotation sure has a nice feel.

I had planned to use the amp last weekend for a "test drive" after waiting a month plus for it. That item was my definite priority to listen to. However, right when I opened the box to look at the amp I felt something was wrong, and the more I looked the worst it got cosmetically, a big disappointment. The plastic bag is torn plus many holes in it, the cardboard retainers inside the box are scrap, there's dust on and inside the unit, it has scratches, the bottom right rackmount is bent, etc. Showing in my view its been unpacked and repacked many times, scratches telling its been around, and those on back the of rackmount indicating its been rack mounted before... What a drag, and it pisses me off a LOT.

The sad part of the settlement is distributor has no other such unit in stock (no wonder I got the "donkey" the first time to fill the order), a new amp is ordered on the spot from the factory, distributor will speed up import/clearance process, distributor's Product Manager will personnaly inspect new replacement unit to make sure its in pristine condition before delivery, distributor will assume all costs related such as pick-up of the "donkey" and delivery of the new unit. A couple of weeks waiting again though, so I wonder...

Restraint I guess has prevented me from plugging/using the cosmetically bad amp yet, since its going back to distributor. But I'm having second thoughts about using the amp being stuck with it for weeks. That would at least give me some new musical entertainment this weekend and a preview of what's coming with the new amp. I'd treat the amp I have like a distributor's demo on loan to me for testing... Regards,

Richard

P.S. Not having used that amp last weekend, I did however test drive my repaired QSC (overheating now gone that's nice), along with my Rolls Sonic Exciter. Back later with some preliminary comments about the Exciter.

EDITED TO SHORTEN POST

Name:  IMG_0364.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  55.7 KBName:  IMG_0368.jpg
Size:  54.7 KBName:  IMG_0340.jpg
Size:  50.2 KBName:  IMG_0342.jpg
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0348.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  46.1 KBName:  IMG_0349.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  64.5 KBName:  IMG_0353.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  61.0 KBName:  IMG_0366.jpg
Size:  77.5 KB

I forgot to mention previously, another reason why I wanted to try a MOSFET amp. Before ordering it, I looked around in my references to see what expert(s) may have to say about that type of amp design. What I found seems quite positive:

"POWER MOSFET OUTPUT DEVICES"

"These transistor types, ... have a greatly superior performance to that of bipolar junction transistors, both in respect of maximum operating frequency and linearity, and allow considerable improvements in power amplifier performance for any given degree of circuit complexity." (P. 509)

"By comparison with 'bipolar' junction power transistors, of conventional types, the MOSFET, ... does not suffer from stored charge effects which limit the 'turn-off' speed of bipolar transistors.

The greater speed and lesser internal phase shifts of power amplifier mean that power MOSFETs allow greater freedom in the design of NFB layouts. This in turn, gives superior performance in the middle to upper frequency range." (P. 513)

Jonh Linsley Hood, Power Output Stages, Chapter 14, in Audio & Hi-Fi Handbook, Second Edition, Edited by Ian R. Sinclair,1995.

I know this reference goes back a while but I haven't seen a lot of talk these days about MOSFET amps. I also read somewhere these amps would be more costly to make, hence their higher price. In today's world where low-cost manufacturing (in Asia or Mexico) is King, that may be a reason why we see so little number of new MOSFET amps on the market... Regards,

Richard

Thread Information