Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Sea,

AH! I must have ended her probationary period much too ealy then, my mistake... lol
    that's not 50 y.o. , but 50 together. It's been Stockholm Syndrome most of the way.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

RE It's been Stockholm Syndrome most of the way.

Yup, knew all along that you're the victim and she's the captor. But it's ok with the new equality era... Things change, lol

RE It's been Stockholm Syndrome most of the way.

Yup, knew all along that you're the victim and she's the captor.
    darned right that , but a benevolent & semi-forgiving (and cute) captor.

could be worse.

ROAD TEST OF THE APHEX 124A INTERFACE, OR BALANCING TURNTABLE'S PHONO OUTPUT...

Seems like an unconventional idea, and it is, but i figured TT output might be a place where improvement, if any, could show up the most. Haven't spinned records for almost 3 months, was too busy and tired at night, but last week's sunday/monday nights had a go at it, and decided to hear at the same time what the used Aphex 124A -10db/+4 db interface had to offer.

Setup is the same temporary one, except for the addition of the Aphex: AT LP5 TT with Shure Me95ED, to Bellari phono preamp, to Aphex RCAs, on to older Mackie mixer, then to Rolls Mosfet amp, feeding a pair of older Polk Audio Monitor 5. Balanced Neutrik XLRF/XLRM with Canare L-2B2AT installation cables i had going from Aphex outputs to two mic channels on mixer. Thought i had appropriate cables to go into the mixer's balanced stereo channel but none of those cables had XLRF/1/4" TRS to do that (on to do list now). Hence the use of mic channels (see note 1 below). Finally, the large Digiflex RCA/RCA cables prior shown with 1/4" TS adaptors from Mackie outputs to Mosfet amp inputs (both can also be balanced, which will be the case when time comes).

Yup, unbalanced on the last stretch! The idea being to test the Aphex (i.e. does it make any sound difference), not specifically other gear i already know in the signal path. Going balanced all the way would make it harder to know, single out, the new box own contribution. Keeping everything else the same as before made more sense to me. This way its easier to assess the interface's balancing job, level increase, signal improvement (if any). Balanced all the way can only be better. User adjustable gains (-/+) on Bellari and Aphex at zero, on mixer no mic inputs trim gain and EQ flat.

Listened to a number of known records from Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Loggins & Messina, Steely Dan, Quincy Jones (Sandy Davis, latter proper for Wolf: "Back on my bike again"!), as these have many instruments and voices. The result was surprising: spacious, cleanest & most transparent sound, quite dynamic also. The Aphex was designed to interface without interfering in sound, it does that very well and then some. Wife came downstairs to get something during test, didn't tell her anything, she stayed a few minutes listening, then said this sounds good! If she didn't note the sound difference she wouldn't have said that, as she heard before the usual one. I'm impressed too.

On the second night the setup was exactly the same, except i put on the tonearm the Shure V15 IV cartridge already on a headshell, checked alignment with protractor and tracking force with small digital scale. Using the same records: sound wasn't right nor good, poor spaciousness, no life! Checked things again, didn't see. Kept listening and thinking for a while re cause. Then got it: forgot to pan, as did previous night, mic channels used to left and right respectively, DUMB ME! Pan knobs in the middle, no L/R, "stereo effect", mix of two mono channels.

That settled, it made a world of difference, what a V15 sound stage plus the nicer more detailed top end than the 95ED. Started to think there might be some "magic" in that Aphex box, other than signal balancing & level increase, considering Aphex has a long heritage of signal processors, enhancers, interfaces, etc.

Remembered from tech sheet read before purchase few months ago the mention of superb signal quality. Took that as the usual marketing. However after testing the box i went back to tech sheet trying to find some clues on why it sounds so clear and well defined:

"perfect square waves to preserve transients; hum and noise rejection are very high (over 45db); noise and distortion almost non-existent; very low output impedances (65 ohms! Bal., 150 oms Unbal.); all inputs and outputs are carefully filtered for freedom from RF interference; the different gains and impedances are matched for optimal performance; dynamic range 99db" etc. Bottom line turns out to be good engineering and manufacturing to get it right, instead of gimmicks.

Haven't found any faults with the unit. But less flexible, for my use, since it does -10db to +4db with balancing and +4db to -10db, the latter less useful for my needs, but could well be to someone wanting to use say a Pro EQ in a hi-fi system for example, which opens the door to more options when buying gear. Personnaly would have preferred twice of -10db to +4db and balancing so i could connect two devices instead of one per box.

This thing gives wings to phono reproduction. Like it enough to consider getting another good used one, in view of what it costs me, for use with Teac Dolby S cassette deck, Tascam CD player or MD digital recorder.

1rst pic reminder of what this is all about; 2nd pic the Neutrik 2 ft. 24-26 AWG range twisted pair/foil shield cables made time ago & used for Aphex testing; 3rd pic the Neutrik cables need to make for stereo channel input, 22 AWG, larger because longer at 5 ft. each (final gear placement to come, longer cable may need), also twisted pair, foil shield/drain wire; 4th pic part of a page from Mackie Owner Manual which explains Note 1...

Richard

Note 1: May seem weird to input at +4 db in a mic connector on the mixer. Not usual, but feasible here. As seen in Mackie Owner Manual, channel's mic (XLR) and line (1/4") share circuitry (except phantom power, not needed here). Much (not all) of what 1/4" input can do, XLR input can do also. Mixer mic input max level is +14dBu and impedance 1.3 kohms. Aphex max output is +25dBm @ 65 ohms, Not used here though, just +4db.

CAUTION: The above doesn't mean its the same way on all mixers, check, i did check before doing this, since haven't had time to make the preferred cables for stereo channel input, before Aphex testing.

Name:  InkedIMG_1402_LI.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  72.6 KBName:  IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  71.3 KBName:  IMG_1774.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  86.0 KBName:  IMG_1799.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  87.1 KB

Found in my stuff an older official JBL document giving all sorts of info. One of the interesting aspects is that it gives factory DC Resistance tolerances (min.- max.numbers) for a whole lot of JBL drivers: about 20 models per page times 17 pages of them = 340 devices! List goes way back, like D series (e.g. D130, etc), and up to say late 80's. It provides such info for: woofers, mid-bass, coaxials, compression drivers, horn/cone/dome tweeters...

Many folks have looked for that type of info as it may be about the easiest to measure when purchasing legacy drivers with mileage, or checking them after purchase to see if they're still within dcr specs.

DCR doesn't give the whole driver condition but at least knowing the appropriate range is a start when shopping or testing older drivers for example. It might give a clue to someone about a driver's electrical condition.

I know similar info can be found in a driver's Tech Manual or Engineering Specs when such exists/is available, but for many drivers there isn't any of those. Moreover info appears to cover both Pro and Consumer models, its even given for OEM and Fender models, mass ring presence, Aquaplas on which side(s) and color, etc.

My offer to all here is that if you're looking for DCR tolerance range for driver(s) and associated data, simply ask for it, its free! Can't guarantee all drivers ever made are there, i know some aren't, but with 340 or so of them the chances look good for having the info. I'll answer all requests asap, provide exact model #. Regards to all,

Richard

P.S. In case you ask for info using Private Messaging, please note i don't log in everyday, often just look around as a guest and stay if something interests me. Then you may have to wait a little up to my next log in. Better to simply give me a signal in my BGW Amp thread that you're sending a PM, this way i'll see it faster.

Bought recently from a local store some Digiflex D-14/2 speaker cable (Post # 277) which i like, however it turned out to be somewhat expensive at retail price.

My dealer is now PARTLY back in business (reduced staff, few masked customers at a time) following Covid-19 lockdown of a couple of months. Yesterday went to pick up a few more things.

Purchased 100 ft. of Rapco 14GA.K 14 AWG speaker cable for my tops, another used Aphex 124A (yes sir, good enough to get another 10/4 interface), as well as a few more Neutrik connectors (NP3X and NC3FX).

RHC on cable jacket shown stands for Rapco Horizon Company (www.rapcohorizon.com/product/354/speaker-wire), made in good ole USA, like the Aphex.

Though they look pretty much the same, the Rapco has 10% larger O.D. vs the Digiflex still noticeable to the eye, also has a more flexible cable jacket than Digiflex, not a big advantage but nice. With discount i get the Rapco costs me 40 cents less per foot than the Digiflex (but latter was 50 ft., both at 100 ft. would have been same price).

Which i prefer? Have a crush for the Rapco, and can get as much as i want without min amount for price, no Web purchase BS nor try ordering another time kind of thing...

Four Aphex units were made available to me for review, first one was a no cosmetically, second one is great, third one lost its Mfr date sticker/serial with the rest so so, didn't even look at the fourth one since #2 was so good all around, including front panel knobs/switches tested and back panel connectors looking almost new as for the previous unit shown (Post # 225). Also made 2005 but a few months later. A 15 y.o. 10-4? No problema these are well made...

Tried to get at the same time a rackmount for these units, however dealer had no used one in stock. Two 10/4 can be put side-by-side on a shelf type rackmount for which Aphex had a part number.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1803.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  82.2 KBName:  IMG_1807.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  82.1 KB

we were talking abt this album some time back.

got out of the house yesterday and was digging around in a thrift , no joy.
    the records had just church or hawaii ..

but the last that I pulled up was another copy of this, mint condition
    made the whole trip worthwhile ...

scan of my new copy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Sea,

Seeing the jacket yeah i remember that. You have pretty good memory. Now lets try mine: wasn't that the record you mentioned lending to someone and it never came back? If so, maybe we're not completely insane...yet, lol. Getting out of the house and to a thrift is a good sign, collector's blood is warming up, bungeed stuff on bike soon?

RE the records had just church or hawaii..

I'm surprised with the non-ending events in Portland that church (music) even exists over there. The place sure won't look like Hawaii either when its over, if that happens... (i don't put everybody in the same basket though). Simply find that sad for the livelihood of small businesses and people living there, on top of Covid-19 sticking around, a double whammy.

Will probably test over the weekend the other used Aphex 124A interface i got this week. 10-4 sir!

Btw they announced today for yet another month, till Sept. 21, Canada/US border will remain closed to non-essential travel. Goodbye to summer vacations across the border...

Richard

Hi Sea,

Seeing the jacket yeah i remember that. You have pretty good memory. Now lets try mine: wasn't that the record you mentioned lending to someone and it never came back? If so, maybe we're not completely insane...yet, lol. Getting out of the house and to a thrift is a good sign, collector's blood is warming up, bungeed stuff on bike soon?

RE the records had just church or hawaii......

Richard
    you have a good memory .... that's the record where music isn't what I'd listen to, but the sound is so incredible ... NO mics are used, all instruments are wired with individual pickups. Low production, low speed ..careful pressings.

IMHO..the most pressed record genre has been religious. I don't know how many ways they can sing "I love G, and he loves me" , but there seem to be millions. (and this was a church thrift) ... the Hawaii stuff seems to be late 50's , when they joined the US and their music was in.

>> bungeed stuff on bike soon?

bought a 1965 copy of "Rolling Stones NOW" yesterday, I purposely use bike bags big enough to slip records into, but for some reason..it wouldn't fit, thought that I'd have to bungie that record bag on.
    I posted in the WPN thread the back cover note , this is what it said

"This is THE STONES new disc within. Cast deep in your pockets for the loot to buy this disc of groovies and fancy words. If you don't have the bread, see that blind man knock him on the head, steal his wallet and low [sic] and behold you have the loot, if you put in the boot, good, another one sold!"

Finally got time to make the XLR/1/4"TRS cables (post # 289) to plug the Aphex device in mixer stereo channel. While at it did two sets of those cables since now have a second Aphex interface. Plus, found in my stuff the signal cables that were used with BGW so modified those older standard Pin 3 hot to the more recent Pin 2 hot standard. These cables are also XLR/1/4"TRS. The Mackie having two sets of main outputs, XLR and 1/4" TRS, used the latter to BGW while the mixer XLR outputs were connected to something else. That didn't really balanced signal to BGW since it required transformers on octal sockets for genuine balancing. 1/4" unbalanced also worked.

Objective this time, while testing the second Aphex, was to compare if there's any sound difference between prior plugging in the mic preamps as i did (post # 289 ) vs using a stereo channel. Still have close by the XLRM/XLRF cables used to test the first Aphex, so switching cables and mixer inputs was relatively easy.

Having better, most transparent, mic preamps is often what console manufacturers boast about, Mackie was no exception to this. Use that mixer as preamp and signal source since it provides a lot of connection flexibility (post #79). The second Aphex interface also works well and is in great shape, at $55.CAD used its a good deal.

Yesterday spent hours listening to records, switching cables and inputs. Well, the mixer's stereo channel doesn't offer the best reproduction. Its definitely cleaner, more transparent sound connecting the Aphex through the mic preamps. Plus, there you get a nice bonus: channel pan control, not balance control as on stereo channels, panning these hard left and right respectively provides an outstanding sound stage, compensating for the limited distance i can get between speakers in the temporary audio setup. Therefore the XLRF/XLRM cables are also keepers for this.

Sea: Avatar pic looks like you've joined the campaign trail out in the street early in the morning, not missing a chance to wave at and seduce potential voters? Didn't know you were on-board the Circus. At least you have some flyers in your hand for those who dare stop by. Maybe you will win with that early bird attention grabbing technique, who knows, Pres Sea or Pres Wolf sounds good to me either way, lol (as long as you still bungie stuff on the bike!).

Been busy taking care of plumbing problem in the house, settled. Following job handicapped me for a little while: right hand working with a very sharp knife literally stabbed holding up left hand pretty deep, giving me a nice bandage and some forced time off...
    The first temporary stitches couldn't close the deep wound, but thanks to USA's Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing (3M) the second ones seem to do the job fine, as well as nurse wife! Had no clue a right hand could hate a left one so much, need to keep an eye on these two now, lol

Richard

Name:  IMG_1831.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  79.8 KBName:  IMG_1761.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  88.7 KB

Sea: Avatar pic looks like you've joined the campaign trail out in the street early in the morning, not missing a chance to wave at and seduce potential voters? Didn't know you were on-board the Circus. At least you have some flyers in your hand for those who dare stop by. Maybe you will win with that early bird attention grabbing technique, who knows, Pres Sea or Pres Wolf sounds good to me either way, lol (as long as you still bungie stuff on the bike!).
    Richard
    from FB:

Tom M.....
    July 24, 2019 ·
    went out to get the mail yesterday am and saw a Google Streetview car approaching (with the big camera apparatus on the roof) ... so despite being in bathrobe and slippers, gave it a big wave ... maybe I'll make it famous after Main street gets updated

8/12/20 · look us up and there I is.

Ah! Imagine Google guys spending their days blurring faces and licence plates, must be a pretty boring job... Unless they figured some artificial intelligence doing this repetitive task?

Ah! Imagine Google guys spending their days blurring faces and licence plates, must be a pretty boring job... Unless they figured some artificial intelligence doing this repetitive task?
    Whatcha talking 'bout ???? That's my normal look.

Assembled some audio cables recently, been a little while since, but have made most of my rack cables for decades. The sad news about this recent cable making exercise is two-fold.

First, among the various sizes/manufacturers of bulk installation cables on-hand i realized none of the present ones has copper conductors anymore! except for the pretty small 25 AWG Canare L-2B2AT i used extensively in the past but have only very little left. Now using several larger installation cables including for the Aphex connections (post #289, 2nd pic Canare vs 3rd pic one of the larger install cables). Seems nowadays unless going for more expensive premium installation cable, then one can say goodbye to copper? Even on the latest L-2B2AT spec sheet i didn't see any indication of actual wire material used, copper or other?

Often described by retailers as a mic cable, but its not, specially with a foil shield being less appropriate for bending/twisting mic type applications. It is truly an installation cable, manufacturer says ideal for rack wiring. Lacks some flexibility and sturdiness needed for stage performance, as those normally use braided shield and robust jacket. Post # 69 shows the smaller diameter Canare L-2T2S mic cable i have, that one made for mic use.

Second, the Swiss (Neutrik), now probably called Liechtensteiners since they moved production to that tiny country barely visible on map, also known as a tax heaven next door to Switzerland, have started to cut costs and reduce quality, that spells trouble... When the Swiss, last incarnation of rock solid stability, timeless reference and excellence safeguard on the planet, join the quality reduction camp, that's a clear sign the world IS going downhill.

Have a small stock of older but new and nice used "Swiss Made" Neutriks so can easily compare the fine craftsmanship of previous ones vs the whole lot of Liechtenstein made bought recently and see the differences. Still pretty good connectors for most, but sad to see them going slowly in the wrong direction...

Lost a plastic cable retainer inside an XLR making it unreliable, local store selling Neutrik has none and says can't order these. Guy was helpful though, taking apart with screwdriver a $2 knock-off (original has no screws) to see if it has a retainer, then you buy the copy for the retainer, no luck there was none in the China thing. E-mailed my dealer for a retainer, next day reply: "i have two on my desk for you" (free), courtesy of their part bins, now can salvage a Swiss XLR, + spare retainer, that along with getting few more connectors was worth the trip to city hell!

Gear with 1/4" instead of XLR doesn't bother me much, prefer using XLR but if the device has 1/4" its ok with me since i use mostly quality connectors of either type. The only gear thus far on which i use some "second best" connectors is the Alesis Digital Reverb and Delay having 1/4". Reason for 2nd best is the 1/4" i chose for the Alesis connections has a spring at connector's cable entry to reduce cable flexing of the small foil shield Canare install type. This is caused by the Alesis being located at top of rack but connected to mixer right under it, which would make a hard cable bend. Using a connector with spring entry works fine in providing a softly curved cable.

Richard

P.S. There's a whole lot of pictures/comments on the way, a few at the time, with regards to this post.

Sea Your Boze radio is way too loud, can't hear anything you say, lol, Try instead a Proton 320 radio like i have, way better...

Audio cable making kit that's been with me a very long time. On that pic preparing to solder the Aphex interface cables. Soldering iron is a Weller, SP-23, 25W, with a few spare tips. Along with a pair of nicely made helping hands, saw similar ones days ago for cheap but quality was poor... RE Silver alloy solder at $1.25 on price sticker has to be long ago, and was sold by weight. Since i'm half way with that box of very small wire (it contained a lot of it) i went to local electronics store and they had only tin/lead alloy solder, sold by foot length (10' for $2.). No silver available. Not really surprised at this as i see daily on Bloomberg silver price is now nine (9) times that of copper! But silver has better conductivity.

Name:  IMG_1815.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  126.0 KB

Bunch of cables i made in the past with Canare cable and Neutrik connectors. 1rst bag from left: XLRM-1/4"TRS; 2nd bag: Barrier Strip-1/4"TRS; 3rd bag: XLRM-1/4"TS; 4th bag: 1/4"TRS-1/4"TRS; 5th bag at the top of pic: the BGW cables XLRM-1/4"TRS after their modification from Pin 3 hot to the present Pin 2 hot standard. Some others have already been shown here, e.g. XLRM/XLRF that i used to connect the Aphex in the mixer mic preamps, and more will be shown on later pics.

Name:  IMG_1839.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  100.1 KB

Nice used Swiss XLR missing its white cable retainer (took one from another of the same group to show), these older white retainers were pretty sturdy compared to more recent ones on the other pic.

Name:  IMG_1865.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  58.0 KB

The two more recent retainers, on dealer's desk, given to me. Model has changed a little and still fits correctly the older XLR. However, its not as sturdy made as the old model, softer plastic, can be more easily squeezed between two fingers, or broken. One place where Neutrik saved some pennies...

Name:  IMG_6688.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  39.6 KB

Thread Information