Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

LOL, Shop vac and computer parts??? NA, but like the Hotty Hot Shorts tho! lol, you got imagination

Lets stick to an audio gear device to avoid offending anyone re things like Hotty Hot Shorts...

Clue: something related to Phil Giddings article I posted. That and a 10/4 should give it away to an audio cop... tho you may not have used one in your systems, me neither yet, but plan to try this one with different sources, if I get it.

Still waiting for a reply from the guy...

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    LOL, Shop vac and computer parts??? NA, but like the Hotty Hot Shorts tho! lol, you got imagination
    not very good at guessing games. plse do NOT post selfies when you receive the Hotty Hot Shorts...

LOL, promised no selfies, tho I'd be tempted... lol

YUP, a 10/4...

Name:  IMG_1363.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  198.1 KB

I'd rather have this ...

oh wait, I do have it ...tho it's been missing abt 2 years. white boxes are Sony Gold 80 minute MD's ...still wrapped

Sony MDW80PL 80 Minute MiniDisc MD Premium Gold (Single)
    by Sony Price: $12.90 & FREE Shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDW80PL-.../dp/B00009RUFN

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._MiniDisc.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fun, "BOBS for kids" MDs box?

A grown-up audio cop might rather want a 10/4 than a bunch of small toy disk things, at least a ten-four suits perfectly audio cops, lol

On a more serious note I did purchased few months ago some more Mini Discs for my Digital recorders, maybe I forgot to tell you. Though no doubt you're still the MD king around here. The fact that I could buy even more of these now doesn't mean I will. At this time, the 27 of them I have suit my needs. If i'm ever short there's someone in Origun that has lots of those, some west coast wolf guy poser over there I guess, lol

Note B&H Photo says "No longer available", and Amazon "This item does not ship to Canada." No mileage to be made there...

Moreover Amazon vendor asks 12.50 USD EACH! that's crazy, wouldn't pay that and paid less for the extra ones I got recently, gold or not doesn't bother me.

Yup a 10/4 is better at this time, and now i'm told its mine btw. Should receive it in a few days. 10/4 !

Finally able to get back to the forum, and thanks for the scans of the Giddings article, RMC. Giddings' book, "Audio Systems Design and Installation" is one of the bibles I've read and used over the years. His work, with my personal interactions wit a lot of the Syn-Aud-Con folks (people like Whitlock, Neil Muncy, Dale Shirk, Ray Rayburn and Pat Brown) have been very important to me. So many others, too.

Regarding Whitlock and transformers...there've been plenty of times he's said a transformer isn't required, when you can just fix the chassis grounding of an victim device, or sometimes replace a cable that has an intermittent or poor shield...in live SR situations, we'll drop a good transformer in line because you can isolate your part of the system from the problems you don't have time to trace out. In installation work, we often have to live with some legacy gear that has a "pin-1" problem (allows noise into the circuits inside the chassis), or we need to convert an unbalanced box to behave with distant balanced gear, and those are also places where transformer just solves the problem better than anything else.

In short distance single-ended systems, I see no reason why a transformer is needed unless you're experiencing a problem that can't be solved with the first steps of checking the cabling and physical movement of devices in the magnetic / RF field.

Anyway, it's refreshing to be on an audio board where real solutions are valued over expensive bovine fertilizer cables and "tweaks!"

Brad

I just realized, this BGW Amp thread is kind of the water-cooler thread? To chat about other stuff than what's relevant to a particular thread, or just shoot the breeze a bit?

I was wondering how it took 15 pages to give away a big heavy amplifier...

LOL, promised no selfies, tho I'd be tempted... lol

YUP, a 10/4...

Name:  IMG_1363.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  198.1 KB
    Raises hand, "Oooh! Oooo! I know what those are, Mr. Catah!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I just realized, this BGW Amp thread is kind of the water-cooler thread? To chat about other stuff than what's relevant to a particular thread, or just shoot the breeze a bit?
    GENERALLY, you don't get slapped down around here by going a little OT. Some threads evolve that way, others are designed to.

IF you join the OT forum, it is even more so.

How to Join Off Topic Forum

If you want to join the "Off Topic" forum, simply click on the "Report Post" button to the bottom left of this message with the following icon . Fill out the report with a request to join the forum and it will be sent to a moderator to respond.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...722#post174722

Hi Brad, welcome aboard

RE "thanks for the scans of the Giddings article, RMC." Glad you like it. Certainly worth keeping for long.

RE "it's refreshing to be on an audio board where real solutions are valued over expensive bovine fertilizer cables and "tweaks!" You'll certainly find and see some of both types on this forum. There are believers for everything around here, good or bad is a matter of opinion I suppose. Sometimes science is put aside in favor of "superstition".

RE "To chat about other stuff than what's relevant to a particular thread," Yes to some extent, more a thread where me, wolf or others discuss audio gear that is not "mainstream" or JBL, so having a wider scope on equipment (e.g. phono cartridges, premium records, Mini Discs, cables/wiring, mixer, 10/4, etc.). Still trying though to stay away from Hotty Hot Shorts for example, lol. Must admit the Wolf is a fountain of ideas, with great imagination and examples, some being my daily laugh... A little fun in audio is a good thing.

RE "Raises hand, "Oooh! Oooo! I know what those are, Mr. Catah!" Yeah, I'm sure you know about those 10/4, if you didn't in your trade then you might have a problem I guess. All about consumer/pro gear levels (-10/+4 db), balancing lines and eliminating/reducing noise.

So basically this thread is mostly about other things, still audio relevant and interesting in my view. BTW staying a little aside from the crowd attracts less heated debates or "litigation" as seen early 2020 on LHF.

Sea, those fixation eyes make me nervous. Feel I'm being watched constantly by some alien. Could also be a new kind of hypnosis therapy you're testing, or a message to me the 10/4 was my last good hit ever, sniff?

Richard

Sea, those fixation eyes make me nervous. Feel I'm being watched constantly by some alien. Could also be a new kind of hypnosis therapy you're testing, or a message to me the 10/4 was my last good hit ever, sniff?

Richard
    when i was still attached to a Navy Squadron (hunting USSR subs) , we'd get the USN Aviation magazine ..that was a PSA reminder on one of the pages, so I saved & scanned.

You seem to get target fixation often

Decided to jump in the wagon with Loudspeaker Handbook 2nd edition from John Eargle after seeing some excerpts. There's a lot of good info and practical stuff on most aspects of speakers, JBL and others. I note 100 pages were added compared to the 1rst edition I have, a significant addition in my view, so not just a few model driver updates as one reviewer puts it, also having some expanded sections such as the LF one.

I refer frequently to Eargle's Sound System Design and Loudspeaker handbooks on a variety of speaker related issues. On the other hand, it seems unlikely there will ever be another handbook like this from JBL Engineering staff, in view of Harman's new ownership having different priorities than in the past. Also these won't be updated anymore since the author passed away...

The new hardcover 1rst edition cost me almost $100 CAD. all in, years ago. However, this time as shown from attached pic of Amazon.ca, the hardcover 2nd edition goes for a whopping $315.CAD!! Quite expensive hardcover... I tend to prefer those for durability, but here chose Instead the paperback version at $178. CAD shipped, which is more accessible. Thought I'd read this during "Stay Home" period. Expected delivery date said between May 4 and May 26 which seemed long to me for a US book...

The twist here is that Amazon and vendor were not straightforward about item location, like EBay does. Thought the book came from the US, seemed logical to me. However, later found out the book was in Australia! Not "next door" USA, but rather a long ocean away. Might not have gone for that if I knew. Purchased April 13, Amazon said shipped April 15, but it took 14 days! before the parcel was even registered in Auspost's tracking system. AU also explains why the deal was so "good", $AU is worth about 10% less than $CA so not taking a beating on currency exchange this time. A small Band-Aid for the long way home...

On May 4 Auspost first indicated "International departure-enroute to Canada" (i.e. on a flight to Can) , but 2-3 days later they changed that on Web site for "Cleared and awaiting international departure"... (see pics). One step forward, then one back. Looks like gonna have to be patient. "It's on its way"...

JBL has changed markedly, the more recent company doesn't seem to provide as much general speaker insight (manuals, technical papers, tech notes, etc.) as they used to since their business model appears to have changed. So I figured this purchase might be like a last chance or so to get some more recent tech info available in one place from one of their most senior loudspeaker engineers (Senior Director, Products Development and Applications-Pro).

When book stock is depleted its likely that insight might fall in between two chairs, unless publisher prints more??

Richard

Name:  IMG_1284.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  92.7 KBName:  IMG_1358.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  77.6 KBName:  IMG_1379.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  90.8 KB

THE APHEX 10/4 INTERFACE MADE IT HOME

Received the device monday, pretty nice but for some scratches here and there which were expected considering its a used purchase (made 2005). More important to me is build quality and that it works well. On the former no disapointment as it seems well made and relatively heavy vs size, giving a feeling of built like a tank. As for the latter haven't had time yet to test it with some sources connected.

That interface allows the use of consumer gear with -10db output (CD player, Cassette deck, MD recorder, maybe even turntable post phono preamp) and bring their level up to match Pro gear +4db standard while also balancing these lines at the same time. Two birds with one stone. Moreover, it also works in the other direction, i.e. from +4 to -10 db, so a somewhat versatile unit.

Chose to buy a used good old USA made instead of a new China made Behringer, Samson, whatever. Aphex made good gear in the past (don't know about today). A close to 15 y.o. Aphex may even last longer. Other than some cosmetic issues it looks fine. Unit turns on, a good start (lol), connectors and knobs show very little wear if any, RCA/XLR both gold plated. The channel level adjustment knobs are recessed flush with front panel probably to avoid tampering, more difficult to use though. As seen inside the knobs are easy to replace, may change them if i find longer ones, as i plan to play with these.

The power LED also serves as a clip light, to warn about the possibility of signal clipping. As shown on internal device pic, where finger points there's a jumper, like those often used on computer motherboards, with three pins but two of them used at the time, in order to increase level from +4 dbm to +8 dbm. A second such jumper, 2 inches to the right on pic, does the same for the other channel. Default is +4 dbm.

Looking forward to try the interface with various sources. Ten-four!

Richard

P.S. Eargle's 2nd ed. Loudspeaker Handbook is still having a sun tan in Australia, no wonder it hasn't moved an inch from Sydney yet, must be nice Down Under whereas here it might freeze its cover....

APHEX 124A AUDIO LEVEL INTERFACE_specs.pdf

Name:  IMG_1408.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  63.4 KBName:  IMG_1402.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  71.2 KBName:  IMG_1396.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  100.5 KBName:  IMG_1399.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  94.8 KBName:  IMG_1411.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  61.2 KB