Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    From Sen's Hi-Fi/Audiophile Headphones category, Canadian retail prices seen (plus taxes) for 600 series models :

HD 600 $530.
    HD 650 $650.
    HD 660 S $680.
    HD 660 S Apogee $870.
    HDVA 600 $1,900.

Don't use phones as much as you do, usually prefer listening to speakers, use cans mostly when need to monitor something. My frequent but short or occasionally longer use don't justify such expense. Regards,

Richard
    guess you didn't follow my link. DELIVERED price is.......

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones
    $195

read through to see why it's model number is 6XX rather than 650.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennhe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Nights of winter turn me cold,fears of dying, getting old.
    We ran the race, the race was won ..by running slowly

Tom,

Did have a quick read of your link.

Don't take me wrong. I DO appreciate your infos, efforts and posts on helping.

I don't dispute the Sen is a great deal for US folks, but for a Canadian purchase in the USA its a more nuanced picture, though it remains a somewhat nice offer, but definitely much more expensive for me than you.

DELIVERED free to USA, Free returns in USA, that's indicated right on the Web page Tom. NOT Canada. Drop indicates being in San Francisco, about 5-6,000 KM from me, this impacts shipping cost, not included.

Here's a taste of Canadian life re US purchases on the Web:

Bank currency conversion rate from CAD to USD add 35% to cost at friday's rate (making a nice profit) ;

Bank's here who issue credit cards also apply a currency conversion fee on Visa/MC add 2.5% (again $);

Canadian sales taxes applicable even on a foreign purchase add 15% here, not on lower USD amount, but rather on USD converted to higher CAD amount leading to 35% larger tax number! They're quite clever. Then adding insult to injury, Postman collecting CDN taxes cash at the door to get the package, adds another $10. tax collection fee called "handling";

My recent experiences with credit card purchases in US are that Pay Pal processing of Visa/MC adds 3%;

Shipping cost, which I estimate at $40-50. also has to be paid in USD, so add the above percentages on it too.

Bottom line, from a quick calculation, I estimate $370. CAD or so for those seemingly $195. headphones, assuming only $40.US shipping, on which I haven't applied taxes yet since not sure if they really apply to that amount. Not the same bargain anymore when all is in. Then I consider my headphone usage mentioned before which doesn't really justify higher cost cans as much as your own use. Nice, but they'd be hanging most of the time.

There might be duties to pay also at the CDN border since the HD 6XX are made in Romania, not in US. Goods MADE in the following three countries cross such borders duty/tax free, with some exceptions. The previous North American Free Trade Agreement between US/Canada had a $20. limit on US purchases to be duty/tax free. The newer USMC (US/Mexico/Canada) agreement increased that duty/tax free limit to a big $40.!!! LOL, Clearly CDN Govts idea is to deter us from buying south of the border...

We got nailed at least four times with the above "scam", one time recently not so because the cost of the US purchase was just under the $40. radar at $38.95 (refoam kit from Simply Speakers).

Finally, there's NO Canadian warranty on US purchased goods, have to ship it back to the US at consumer expense for service, if need be. Canadian audio distributors (e.g. Sennheiser Canada) DON'T usually honor US warranties again to prevent Canadians from shopping in the USA: you either ship to US vendor/service center for warranty service or pay. EDIT: But distributors here do apply manufacturer's warranty for things purchased from an authorized Canadian dealer.

Therefore its not a lack of interest from my part on your interesting suggestion(s), but reality is what it is: purchase from the US only when I have to since we're getting ripped-off from Canada side. Best Regards,

Richard

well, that story just about kills buying anything from the USA

I do hear stories (even here on LHF) of Canadians buying , having shipped to USA (either a friend or dropbox) and either being reshipped or picked up and carried in.

Don't know what I'd do in your shoes, but there do seem to be a lot of Audiophiles
    in Canada , they must have found a solution

)only a little OT( ... I drove from Portland to Tsawwassen to buy my 250Ti's , couldn't find them available anywhere else on the WC. (and now I barely use them )

Tom,

Solutions? There's no magic, forget it.

The more shopping moves to the Internet the more brick & mortar stores put pressure on Govts to collect taxes from Web sales, and the more Web sales will effectively be taxed in the future, that's inevitable. Govts lose tax revenues from conventional stores, too much is at stake when not taxing Web sales.

Also there's nothing one can do about different currencies having different values, but wait for it to go up...

Shopping in jurisdictions with lower tax rate is about all one can do, other than purchasing used gear which is often not taxable when its a transaction between individuals.

Shopping lower tax rate is nice but if to get that you have to deal with a vendor much further away then this may cause the shipping cost to be higher, so need to put that in the equation too (TX saved vs shipment $).

Many things that cross the border are deep discounted items, like Black Friday Sales, often lower quality throw away type things, that consumers view as "it will last the time it lasts" and for money paid it may not be worth paying a fair amount to a repair shop to have it fixed, the device ends in the garbage or recycling...

BTW Read previously in the newspaper the US Supreme Court has reversed a 1992 ruling, and decided (June 2018) that States are allowed to tax Internet purchases, so taxes on Internet sales are coming your way too...

As for your low use 250ti's, well its not really a surprise considering you're a headphone man. I like mine too for my use (still no news re HD 559), but I usually prefer listening to music on speakers in a room.

I'll be changing subject soon since that one on taxes isn't good for my blood pressure, lol. A few LP test records and special effects have resurfaced in my record boxes: Shure, Direct-to-disc, Mobile Fidelity, etc. could be interesting. Regards,

Richard

P.S. I'm not a robot... yet, lol

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    As for your low use 250ti's, well its not really a surprise considering you're a headphone man. I like mine too for my use (still no news re HD 559), but I usually prefer listening to music on speakers in a room.
    the 250 usage is not affected by the headphone usage. The living room (at the far opposite end of the house) has the 250's , and a demo system with ESS's attached and the big BGW system with Walsh F2's. I'm just not out there much. Contrary to most US homes, there is NO TV in the LR, that room now mainly supports the woodstove. I have my TV, she has hers, no conflicts.

The old family room (now bedroom) is at the other end and has the big Adcom a/d/s system and the 120Ti's run by 130wpc amp by the main computer. So either streaming, itunes or the TT feed those. They get the most usage.

Not to rub it in (considering Canada's taxes situation) , but Oregon has no sales tax , no VAT , high income tax (but I no longer have high income) ,heck ... we aren't even allowed to pump our own gas. We get the California refugees, who bring nice gear up here too. We may be hicks, but pretty comfortable hicks, tho ...

Thread Information