Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

MY LAUGH OF THE DAY

Sometimes marketing shows great imagination and a few exaggerations... Came across a Cerwin-Vega Web page ad from one of their dealers for a speaker part of their XLS series, model 215. Retailer wrote 24 hz bass which raised a red flag with me for the type of box shown, so went to see CV's speaker web page.

That changed the 24hz bass story but the laugh remained: "Simply the biggest, baddest tower on the market... delivers earth-shaking bass down to 36 hz With guaranteed "eviction notice." LOL, not good for sales, never seen that one before, makes me wonder how many tenants, or even husbands for that matter, got evicted from home or found their suitcase on the sidewalk next to the XLS 215? Would the latter be part of the divorce settlement?

Looking at the LF response data at the bottom of the page tells F3 38 hz and F10 36 hz!, pretty short of sismic bass, imagine at what level response would be for 24 hz. LF response that drops like a rock, like 7 db drop for two little hertz here, is often a sign of a bass bump right before the very steep drop. Smells like the "amplitude trick" once again.

So, one probably won't get thrown out for earthquake bandwidth bass here, might be more for bumpy bass. On the interesting side I note the Waveguides for both the 6.5" cone mid and the dome tweeter which follows the market waveguide trend.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1433.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  107.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    .. Came across a Cerwin-Vega Web page ad from one of their dealers for a speaker part of their XLS series
    Have never met anyone with a good impression of CV ... they may be same guys who like BOZE
    STRANGE ....is the new NORMAL

They had their day... that was quite awhile ago though.

Hi Sea,

I tend to agree with Grumpy and would add the following.

There's followers, fans and forums on the Net for about every major speaker brand. So i assume there are folks out there who like Vega. I'm not a fan of them but i do recognize that in the old days both Vega and Bose had a few interesting items.

My first ever crossover, 1980, was a CV which i still have in a box, its what i would call a "semi-active/passive" device, or a student's budget (which i was at the time) dividing network. CV made these 1980-1985. It is "active" in view of its location in the signal path, before amplification, but passive with regards to its fixed frequency. On pic note i removed the housing rivets to look inside, still nice, 12db/oct. CV had a few models available at the time with different fixed frequency and RCA or 1/4". I biamped the 2205H cabs with smaller satellite speakers, still do but with fully active crossovers now (i.e. no more student budget, lol).

Decades back Vega Pro made its reputation and money with folded horn bass cabs such as the L48 something, B36A, etc. used in discos and in some "earthquake" setups. They added mid horns, tweeters, xo, amps, etc. They still make some folded horns, though model numbers have changed over time (see attach).

JBL sure attracted more folks and market share with its large number of components available in the DIY speaker era, but that has changed too... Vega and Bose Pro didn't have many speaker components like Altec and JBL did, mostly finished products. However i remember CV's large double spider Stroker woofer (also in the attachment). Regards,

EDIT: Tried to upload CV Pro brochure but its too large for LHF...

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Recently added some 12 gauge speaker cables, "lamp cord" type construction, though nicer one. Clear jacket makes these blend much better in my "decor" plus look more like home speaker cable to me than large AC type extention cords used in sound reinforcement.

I generally agree with Philip Giggings' article on noise in Audio and the twisted wire pair, however each person has to assess his own situation and potential noise risk. In my case no transmitters or particular EMI sources near by, think noise potential for me is probably more on the equipment hookup side than on speaker cable side.

Twisted 12 AWG wires lead to a relatively large round cable jacket, often black color, which basically appears like touring stage cables (white ones with MONOPRICE printed on jacket every foot or meter isn't sexier either), to me both would look somewhat gross in a home setup. Even more so when having a number of amps/speakers in a room then it would make those cables quite visible and seem like a performing stage...

Richard

Name:  IMG_1426.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  91.6 KBName:  IMG_1427.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  116.9 KB

Been considering, along with another member, a "group purchase" of some Community driver, in as much as it may please both. Doing some research about that i came across a Community Manual today with some interesting info, more specifically another perspective on speaker wires, and twisted pair or not...

In my view the important aspect here lies in the explanations given by Community. These may comfort some in their cable choice (e.g. Seawolf in Fave cable for JBL thread; myself in post # 230 here), or irritate others.

Note also the suggestion of using 14/4 AWG "quad wiring" with the two pairs in parallel at each end leading to an effectively 3 gauge larger speaker cable, as previously mentioned here re Eargle's note in post # 80.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1463.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  126.3 KBName:  IMG_1466.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  120.4 KB

Thread Information