Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

After a fair amount of mileage in the US, from midwest to east coast, then on to south FL!, later ending up going NORTH to Canada, the Community 12" woofers made it home recently in good shape. Thanks to member G. who purchased these on my behalf with his deeper discount and took charge of shipping them to me. Most grateful.

Since Biamp took over Community, what seems to be left of the latter looks more like a phantom than an actual speaker company, another sad casualty. During a quick look at the present Biamp, which also changed a lot to become an install type company, i think i saw two horns that may be of Community origin, that appeared to be it..

Drivers purchased are OEM type, the kind provided for replacement under warranty for e.g., not retail type woofers. Had in mind preferrably a driver with NO foam edge and no foam inside driver back vent.

Well, the Community has double roll cloth surround plus inspection of back vent with a powerful pen light shows no foam there whatsoever. Great, no future foam hassles to deal with. Back side gasket is included, seems ok but not great, however have better ones in stock that i'll probably use when time comes.

Measured their DC resistance at 5.3 and 5.4 ohm, pretty much in the 5-6 ohm range mentioned by Eargle. Have the driver's T/S, they're quite appropriate for my intended use in a not too large box re lack of space. These were designed with smaller box in mind with their pretty low Vas and reasonable Qts numbers. Modeled them, last octave VLF isn't there, not a biggie for me, Vb 2.5-3 cu.ft., Fb 40 hz, flat, easy to live with, done deal.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1679.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  98.3 KBName:  IMG_1683.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  71.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    After a fair amount of mileage in the US, from midwest to east coast, then on to south FL!, later ending up going NORTH to Canada, the Community 12" woofers made it home recently in good shape.
    I had a pair of AR3's in factory boxes. Made in Cambridge, Massachusetts , delivered to the PX in Nha Trang VN (1st trip across the Pacific) then shipped to Portland (2nd trans-Pac trip) and then sold to an LHF member in Australia (3rd trans-Pac trip)

Well traveled and still in great condition. (better shape than me, but I've made more trans-PAc trips , but I didn't go in OEM packaging)

EXTRA !! ordered an item Tuesday from a vendor in southern Oregon .... expected tomorrow here in Northern Oregon.

Just checked tracking ...

In-Transit
    July 8, 2020 at 4:36 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    OAKLAND CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Oregon to Oregon via California ????????
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hi Wolf,

RE "(better shape than me, but I've made more trans-PAc trips, but I didn't go in OEM packaging)" = LOL, great sense of humor! "Oregon to Oregon via California ????????" Within SAME state, wow!

Logically i thought they would have consolidated my parcel with others on the way NORTH towards destination say in Boston, NY, Detroit, etc as those cities are not that far from the border, saving fuel and time.

But going from mid east coast US, doing say a thousand KM south down to Miami International mail center, then make this thousand Km again north bound this time, plus a whole lot more KM to Canada, that's beyond me... No wonder shipping was somewhat costly. Most important thing though they're arrived and in good condition.

Btw nice Avatar pic. Can't read text next to it, but i assume it explains how you turned greenish this time. Became eco-green lately? Regards,

Richard

Oh, but it's even worse :(

I check this morning and what do you know ? It WAS in Portland on July 7 before going to Calif.

Tracking History
    (reverse order)

July 9, 2020, 3:42 am
    SAN FRANCISCO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SAN FRANCISCO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER on July 9, 2020 at 3:42 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

July 9, 2020, 1:11 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility

July 8, 2020, 4:36 pm
    July 8, 2020
    In Transit to Next Facility

July 7, 2020, 9:10 pm
    SAN FRANCISCO CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

July 7, 2020, 12:13 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    PORTLAND, OR 97215

July 6, 2020, 10:58 pm
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    ASHLAND, OR 97520

July 6, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    ASHLAND, OR 97520

Sea,

LOL, this is crazy! They must have smoked a LOT of weed... seems they're having fun bouncing your parcel back and forth between SF and Oakland, AND THEY HAD IT RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR DOOR IN PORTLAND!!! Unbelieveable... Good luck, one day they'll figure it out i guess.

Richard

and still , they are emailing this

. and their dumb computer doesn't know that SF is NOT in Portland ???

Hello tom,

USPS expects to deliver your package by Thursday, July 9, 2020 arriving by 8:00pm.

Tracking Number: 9405.....
    Expected Delivery By
    9 July By 8:00pm

Visit USPS Tracking® to check the most up-to-date status of your package. Sign up for Informed Delivery® to digitally preview the address side of your incoming letter-sized mail and manage your packages scheduled to arrive soon! To update how frequently you receive emails from USPS, log in to your USPS.com account.

Now that thursday 8:00 PM is passed did you get the parcel ? I'd bet you didn't, lol

Now that thursday 8:00 PM is passed did you get the parcel ? I'd bet you didn't, lol
    now it says "Package Status:
    We currently have no record of this package. If this package was mailed recently, it may not have been entered in the USPS database yet. Please check your package tracking number and/or try again later."

and I refresh ....

This service is currently unavailable
    This service is temporarily unavailable-AK1213.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

refresh again

This page isn’t working If the problem continues, contact the site owner.

Looks like the PO isn't working (again) , cool. More time on the phone with customer service.

Guess I singlehandedly broke the USPS.

UPDATE:

now it tells me:
    Hello tom,
    Your item arrived at the Post Office at 6:50 am on July 10, 2020 in PORTLAND, OR 97230.

we'll see.

LATER: now they say it's on a delivery truck, if so.. what a bunch of wasted time/resources.

Hello tom,
    Your item is out for delivery on July 10, 2020 at 7:10 am in PORTLAND, OR 97233.
    USPS expects to deliver your package today by 7:00pm.

RE Guess I singlehandedly broke the USPS.

Yeap, you broke the whole USPS all by yourself. Must have been a box of gremlins that you ordered,lol

At least you guys are lucky having saturday mail, we don't. So you get a second chance tomorrow if need be...

RE Guess I singlehandedly broke the USPS.

Yeap, you broke the whole USPS all by yourself. Must have been a box of gremlins that you ordered,lol

At least you guys are lucky having saturday mail, we don't. So you get a second chance tomorrow if need be...
    it did get delivered, amazing since it was in SF this morning.

no gremmies, just an expensive knee brace to help with the pains.

>>At least you guys are lucky having saturday mail

yeah, but we have a 24/7/365 tweeting male to suffer.

So injury not getting any better it seems. That's sad. Hopefully what you ordered will help you minimize the pain. Good luck!

So injury not getting any better it seems. That's sad. Hopefully what you ordered will help you minimize the pain. Good luck!
    Although expensive, this new brace is made from BioSkin material that stretches & breathes much better than my neoprene current one. It' more intelligently made and my PIP intermediary insurance acct will cover it now, instead of waiting for final settlement from drivers insurance company.

https://bioskin.com/hinged-knee-brace-wraparound.html

I have not been able to get out of the house, even a short time, w/o taking pain meds before leaving. Yesterday I did, but carried some in a pocket, just in-case. Did not have to use it and not much discomfort today. Hoping that it will work well enough that I'm able to get short bike trips around the block.

getting out of shape ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So you're back on the bike that's a good sign. Helps for physical AND mental health since you're a biker. Shape will be back as bike use increases. Wife had asked to prepare the bikes, done, but didn't do any as she hurt herself...

Looked at the brace link quickly, seems the purpose of it is to provide support for the knee as well as prevent it from bending too much? Comfort is the key i guess.

Been on household tasks for a month, wife hurt her back badly, after 3 weeks getting better, then she trips and fell down, had to pick her up she couldn't stand by herself. Back pain returned... Couple more weeks to go. She can walk with a cane, making her look like an old lady. Back pain i've been there many times, know what it is. Never happens to me lifting a 50 lb box or rock, only on stupid moves like bending down to pick up a pen on the floor...

So learned to use the Swiffer, LOL, pretty simple, must have been invented for men in a hurry, lol, feeding the cats, clean cats' litter, and a whole bunch of other chores at home, still taking care of the pool, & providing "valet service", Yup

Haven't used any audio gear for a while, just too tired at night, simply read the newspaper while zapping news channels on tv. Got rid of ABC, CBS & NBC i never watch and replaced them with Animal Planet for wife, and two more news channels for me: CNBC to zap with Bloomberg, and Fox news to zap with CNN, others being Canadian (4) and European (2), = 10 news channels, lol.

So you're back on the bike that's a good sign. Helps for physical AND mental health since you're a biker. Shape will be back as bike use increases. Wife had asked to prepare the bikes, done, but didn't do any as she hurt herself...
    thats a google pic titled 'fat guy on a bike" . If I gained that much, would look for my pistol.

Looked at the brace link quickly, seems the purpose of it is to provide support for the knee as well as prevent it from bending too much? Comfort is the key i guess.
    one of it's biggest bennies is that it has braces & hinges on both sides. This keeps the leg going straight with no twisting , a major problem with MCL injuries

Been on household tasks for a month, wife hurt her back badly, after 3 weeks getting better, then she trips and fell down, had to pick her up she couldn't stand by herself. Back pain returned... Couple more weeks to go. She can walk with a cane, making her look like an old lady. Back pain i've been there many times, know what it is. Never happens to me lifting a 50 lb box or rock, only on stupid moves like bending down to pick up a pen on the floor...
    sorry to hear abt wife ...back pain is terrible.

So learned to use the Swiffer, LOL, pretty simple, must have been invented for men in a hurry, lol, feeding the cats, clean cats' litter, and a whole bunch of other chores at home, still taking care of the pool, & providing "valet service", Yup .
    I've taken over many of the little bosses duties after her 2 bypasses. But she does have good days where she'll pop up and go mow the grass .. it's a day 2 day thing. When I hurt too much to drive, she does allow me to passenger in her car.

BUT, I've had good luck with this in the past
    https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...r-your-joints/

forgot and just remembered this week. She got some and made up a batch , I do feel better today .. don't know if any relation.

guess I'm lucky ?? (most of my issues were incurred in The Canoe Club , working for Unk. , and therefore compensated. Even this latest incident is covered by a good insurance co. (driver of offending truck has commercial million dollar liability policy)

RE: THREAD TITLED "JBL 2123H IN A TWO WAY SPEAKER"

Reference was made there to an interesting Acoustic Frontiers link about speaker off axis directivity. However, there's another point of view worth reading on this, from Eargle, which gives speaker builders a little more hope in extending a LF driver higher up in hz. Certainly not endless hope but still worth considering.

When the HF driver is relatively directional, making the LF unit somewhat more directional too, by stretching it higher, won't create a major issue, other than being a more directional box, since both drivers are directional, therefore blending better together. This is mostly seen in the sound reinforcement domain, less often in the hi-fi field.

Don't have time right now to type with my two fingers all the explanations given by Eargle, so took pics of some of these shown below, with my added quote marks, consider this as my quoting from: John Eargle (JBL), Loudspeaker Handbook, pages 14, 16, 17 and 91 respectively.

First two pics are context, 3rd & 4th are where the meat is.

Richard

Name:  InkedIMG_1709_LI.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  79.6 KBName:  InkedIMG_1712_LI.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  61.9 KBName:  InkedIMG_1715_LI.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  80.6 KBName:  InkedIMG_1717_LI.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  74.4 KB

Thread Information