Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: My L200 mod

  1. #1
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014

    My L200 mod

    I've always thought the L200 was the coolest looking JBL ever made, but was never happy with the sound. Here's my L300 "tribute" that uses the L200b cabinet, L85 driver and some other bits. The 2225's came with L200's and are placeholders until I can find a good deal on 2235's or maybe even 2216nd-1's. The crossover is the Nelson Pass design and the slot tweeter is a Beyma, a bit of a 2405 tribute itself. The baffle is moved forward to accommodate the H92.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Senior Member srm51555's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The 2225's came with L200's and are placeholders until I can find a good deal on 2235's or maybe even 2216nd-1's.
    Thanks for sharing. I have a friend that was thinking the same thing on the 2216nd-1's with his L200's.

    FWIW, when I was searching for some 2235's with fresh recones I found it was almost the same price in which I got my 2216's.

  3. #3
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,361
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I've always thought the L200 was the coolest looking JBL ever made, but was never happy with the sound. Here's my L300 "tribute" that uses the L200b cabinet, L85 driver and some other bits. The 2225's came with L200's and are placeholders until I can find a good deal on 2235's or maybe even 2216nd-1's. The crossover is the Nelson Pass design and the slot tweeter is a Beyma, a bit of a 2405 tribute itself. The baffle is moved forward to accommodate the H92.
    Are the cloth trim pieces on the sides still functional,
    or are they blocked internally?
    2ch: Oppo, Acurus RL-11, JBL 240ti, Heath AS101, Carver TFM-25,Von Schweikert VR4
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460,

  4. #4
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Are the cloth trim pieces on the sides still functional,
    or are they blocked internally?
    They're sealed off. I cut out most of the original baffle but left some in for bracing. Then I framed the inside of the old recess with 3/4 in MDF to make something for the new baffle to attach to. That frame also served to seal off those side vents, which are a big part of why the L200 looks so "cool" IMO.

  5. #5
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,361
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    They're sealed off. I cut out most of the original baffle but left some in for bracing. Then I framed the inside of the old recess with 3/4 in MDF to make something for the new baffle to attach to. That frame also served to seal off those side vents, which are a big part of why the L200 looks so "cool" IMO.
    I'd seen pictures years ago showing some L200s converted into 4 ways -
    I believe they did the same thing with the side vents.
    I probably have the picture at home somewhere.
    2ch: Oppo, Acurus RL-11, JBL 240ti, Heath AS101, Carver TFM-25,Von Schweikert VR4
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460,

  6. #6
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'd seen pictures years ago showing some L200s converted into 4 ways -
    I believe they did the same thing with the side vents.
    I probably have the picture at home somewhere.
    Hmm, something like this? Pushing the baffle out gives you an increase in internal volume you could use for the 2121 cabinet, and there is room on the baffle. Interesting...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #7
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,361
    I found the picture - it intrigued me enough that I saved it, many years ago ... (Nov 2008)



    Name:  L200 4ways2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  159.3 KB


    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'd seen pictures years ago showing some L200s converted into 4 ways -
    I believe they did the same thing with the side vents.
    I probably have the picture at home somewhere.
    2ch: Oppo, Acurus RL-11, JBL 240ti, Heath AS101, Carver TFM-25,Von Schweikert VR4
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460,

  8. #8
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    I must be psychic!

  9. #9
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,170
    As a fellow admirer of the L200, I’d rather go down the L300 route than make it a 4-way. Your 433Xesque version look very nice.


    Widget

  10. #10
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    As a fellow admirer of the L200, I’d rather go down the L300 route than make it a 4-way. Your 433Xesque version look very nice.


    Widget
    Thank you. I'm sure they would look even better with 2405's, but the customer I built these for didn't want to spring for a pair. I'm going to miss these.

  11. #11
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Just a quick addendum. These speakers no longer have the stock NP crossover. See this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...xo-4313b-vs-np

  12. #12
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    My living room Quad 63's are arcing so I moved the 200's up there during the repair and while they're a little brash looking, they sound great without my subs and at lower levels than I use in the main system.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,264
    Where are the lenses?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jbl L200
    By JBeL in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 05:32 PM
  2. help on L200
    By ngccglp in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •