Thread: Speaker for a Vintage Hammarlund SP 600 Shortwave Radio

Speaker for a Vintage Hammarlund SP 600 Shortwave Radio

I just got through restoring a Hammarlund SP 600 general coverage receiver. It has a 6v6 output stage which produces about 4 watts or so. Im hoping some one would have a recommendation for a extended range speaker that would make the 4 little watts go as far as possible. I listed to short wave broadcasts and there audio is limited by the ITU at about 4.5 khz. I have an old 2204 frame here so maybe an E120 or something similar. Any ideas most welcome.
    Regards,
    Glenn

Just about any full range or extended range speaker would be worth trying. Not sure why you are set on 12 inch unless it's that you happen to have that frame.

There are two specific considerations that I can see. One is the slight possibility that the output of the radio is tailored to a certain speaker and with another speaker would not sound right. The other is that to sound natural with the truncated HF you want to avoid too much bass. There is an old rule of thumb for balancing the frequency response around the middle frequencies; the product of the low end of the range multiplied by the high end of the range should equal 400k, just as the supposed limits of human hearing does (20 times 20k). So 400k/5k would be 80. You don't want much below 80hz. Like I said, there are many full range or extended range drivers that would suit. No need to take special pains about the cabinet. For a twelve the least expensive and most available would be the D123, though considering the above rule of thumb, an eight-inch might be better. A Trusonic 80FR or JBL 2110/D208 would be nice. They are both rare. I would not use the LE8T though the 2115/LE8T-2 might be all right, but for your application I would avoid a foam or rubber surround. You would want a doped pleated cloth or doped integral paper surround. There would be many other choices at Madisound and Parts Express. I'm not familiar with those drivers, so I can't make specific recommendations. The straightest line to your goal might be a D123.

One of the first business ventures of James Bullough Lansing was making speakers for radios.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

That’s a great radio. Too bad there’s not much on SW any more unless you want to be yelled at by religious folks! I would think a nice coax like an Altec 601 series would be nice. You may be able to pick a single up pretty cheaply.

SP600 Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    That’s a great radio. Too bad there’s not much on SW any more unless you want to be yelled at by religious folks! I would think a nice coax like an Altec 601 series would be nice. You may be able to pick a single up pretty cheaply.
    Dave and Chas thanks for you suggestions. I have a 2204 frame and thats why I mentioned the e120 for a speaker. Rebuilding this radio was border line painful. I had to change 57 bad capacitors which was a very time consuming task. I like to listen to AM radio stations at night and the shortwave broadcast stuff that still out there. 9395 WRMI plays a good mix of 60s and 70s stuff. W work for the Voice of America at the Greenville Transmitting Station so the radio thing is in my blood.
    Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated

Thread Information