Thread: New Metregon owner here

New Metregon owner here

I'm new to this forum but not new to JBL. As a wee kid I remember my grandfather's mono Hartsfield set up and my dad had a pair of Dorians in the late 60's. In college I rocked the dorm with a pair of well worn Centuries. Eventually I ended up with Klipschorns 25 years ago and never felt the need to find anything else. Well, over the weekend I came across this Metregon for what seemed like a good price so I bought it. I have to refinish the top a bit and fix a few chips and dings here and there (I have a full shop here at work). Its a lacquer finish so I wont really need to do much at all to make it stunning.

I don't really know what's inside yet but I did hook it up and it sounds really good to these ears. There's a crossover on the back that says Frequency Dividing Network N1200.

The grill cloth is coming apart and I assume you just unscrew the board and recover like a conventional speaker.

Ill add some pics once I open her up.

Anything I should know or look for?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 04-26-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: CHANGE PIC

[QUOTE=Propman;414544]

"The grill cloth is coming apart and I assume you just unscrew the board and recover like a conventional speaker."

Greetings -

A suitable grill fabric to use should be required to replace the original is called Harem cloth. I have only seen it in white, so very light coats of black rattle can has done the trick for me. Do not try painting the material with a single coat. Doing so may block the pores.

The material is synthetic, and does not take dye well. The material is not attached to a frame, or the baffle, but one upper and one lower bat. If memory serves me correctly, I think JBL called them grille stretchers. They are similar to the method for stretching the grille fabric on the C34, C40. and C55 enclosures.

The bats are nestled into slots cut into the underside of the top panel, and the topside of the bottom panel. You have to remove the baffle, then unscrew the upper and lower bats. The material needs to be cut to a precise length so as to provide the right tension when you replace the bats.

Good luck,

HF

P.S. I would rather have a Metregon than a Paragon.

Congratulations! What a fun project. Welcome to the forum.
    Of course it sounds good. You've gotten used to Klipschorns. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.
    I actually like the vintage Klipsch systems and have owned many myself.

Your system is likely the model 201. Here are links with a bit of info, and there is a little more info elsewhere on this site.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image.../page14-15.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image.../page16-17.jpg

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    The bats are nestled into slots cut into the underside of the top panel, and the topside of the bottom panel. You have to remove the baffle, then unscrew the upper and lower bats. The material needs to be cut to a precise length so as to provide the right tension when you replace the bats.

Good luck,

HF

P.S. I would rather have a Metregon than a Paragon.
    Ok. That was fun. It took me an hour to realize that the front slats just simply lift out (Doh!). I found a black semi-sheer fabric in one of our drapery sample books that is pretty similar to the original--I've ordered a one yard sample which is more than enough.

One question -- as you can see the board is cut from the factory for a 3-way system. My speakers are 130A woofers and LE-175 drivers mounted to a curved horn. The hole for the tweeter is open. Shouldn't it be blocked somehow? Somehow it seems wrong to leave that big gaping hole there.

Name:  JBL 2.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  65.3 KB

I think you’re right and the 075 hole should be blanked out. You might shoot a PM to JBL Dog. He’s had a few Metregons with different loads.

Widget

Thread Information