Thread: Crown XLi 2500 for my JBL 250Ti

Crown XLi 2500 for my JBL 250Ti

Name:  Crown XLi2500.png
Views: 3664
Size:  158.9 KB
    Trying out a new Crown XLi 2500 amplifier for my JBL 250Tis and I am very impressed with it's sound quality. I expected it to control the speakers well and it does with the bass lines more prominent and controlled. But I was hoping that it would be very revealing as well and it is, which I did not expect. This amplifier is 500 watts per channel of class A/B sound not class D as some other Crown amps are. Weighs in about 30 pounds with a HUGE torroidal transformer inside. Must allow a couple of weeks of break in to come to full clarity as it sounds rather closed in right out of the box. I am thrilled at the sound of this amplifier and for $399 delivered it is a no brainer. It may well be replacing my Parasound A23 which is a very fine amp also. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Rpower; 04-16-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Add pic

Quote Originally Posted by Rpower View Post
    Name:  Crown XLi2500.png
Views: 3664
Size:  158.9 KB
    Trying out a new Crown XLi 2500 amplifier for my JBL 250Tis and I am very impressed with it's sound quality. I expected it to control the speakers well and it does with the bass lines more prominent and controlled. But I was hoping that it would be very revealing as well and it is, which I did not expect. This amplifier is 500 watts per channel of class A/B sound not class D as some other Crown amps are. Weighs in about 30 pounds with a HUGE torroidal transformer inside. Must allow a couple of weeks of break in to come to full clarity as it sounds rather closed in right out of the box. I am thrilled at the sound of this amplifier and for $399 delivered it is a no brainer. It may well be replacing my Parasound A23 which is a very fine amp also. Highly recommended.
    Amazing value. My research indicates everyone seems to love this whole series from the 800 thru 3500. Data sez distortion is superior to the old "D" series favs. Minimum "bells and whistles" so they can keep the price low. It's all many of us old DIYers want/need. The only question I have is the warning of induced noise to pre-amps, etc., resulting from the generated surrounding high magnetic environment. Have seen this previously (I think) when trying to mix and match pro and home gear. Big power supplies, as you noted. Can usually work around it. And, the 2500 you purchased has tons of power - 500 per at 8 ohms. Can generate twice that depending on load, etc. Thanks for the flag!

How's the fan noise?
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    How's the fan noise?
    Hi Ed. Pending Rpower hands-on data, my research above indicated the thing has a "smart fan" and is very quiet in normal use. A few reported "inaudible." When driven hard for extended periods - pro use? - the fan comes on and you can hear it. Nobody reported they could hear the fan with music playing. Interesting to see what Rpower adds. Mike

I have had the smaller XLi1500 and never heard the fan at all. ran it on a 15 inch sub.

Quote Originally Posted by gentlejax2 View Post
    I have had the smaller XLi1500 and never heard the fan at all. ran it on a 15 inch sub.
    Yeah, agree - Have been using the XLi 800 for 3 years now and have no complaints (DIY 4-way). It is a lot like the old D series Crowns, I'd say. I like the way you can configure the hook-up to your needs. It is way better than the acoustics in my condo! Good basic amp.

Thumbs up

Thank You.
    I had been debating on what to do with an ailing DC300a, this thread answered the question, either a 1500 or 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by mark214 View Post
    Thank You.
    I had been debating on what to do with an ailing DC300a, this thread answered the question, either a 1500 or 2500.
    It will have to wait since it seems they are all yet to be manufactured or in container ships on the Pacific Ocean.

I realize this thread is a few years old but I'll cast my vote for the Crown XLi's. I have been running two XLi 2500's for a couple years now. One is driving my 250Ti's and the other drives my 240Ti's. As mentioned the Crowns have smart fans that I have never heard running at all. The only time I know they are spun up is if I just got done cranking some music and I feel near the front vents...you can feel the air pulling through and maybe slightly hear the fans if you put your ear right at the amp.

These amps have no problem driving the 250's and I have never had the clip lights light up...you will be turning it down voluntarily before that happens trust me. As far as noise I do hear a tiny bit with the room quiet but only if you are listening for it. This is comparing it to absolutely no noise when I was running it through my Luxman R-117 amp. The 117 only serves as the preamp for the two Crown's now.

I do think they sound better after a break in period so give them a chance...and a workout.
    Luxman R-117*Luxman DZ-111*Technics SL-BD22*JBL 250Ti*JBL 240Ti*JBL 18Ti*HSU VTF-15H MK2*Crown XLi 2500*Sennheiser HD250

A local store had an XLI800 in stock, so I picked it up, if the 1500 or 2500's ever are restocked I will buy one or two..

The XLi 800 has been working great I am impressed I haven't really pushed it, but I located a XLi 2500 so bought it.

I picked up an XLi800 from Amazon to replace an Adcom GFA-555ii to drive my 1500SUBs. In my 3500cuft room the XLi800 is more than enough to drive the subs to frightening levels! I think I paid $210 for it NIB in 2015 or 16. Great amp, killer deal from Amazon!

Thread Information