Thread: oldest Crown I-tech "end of life" - moderator please review

oldest Crown I-tech "end of life" - moderator please review

I am not here to cause any grief. I enjoy the site and the help here. I've gotten some great deals and wonder if they came from members here?
    Recently I bought a well used Crown I-tech 4000. It doesn't work, yet the amp section is fine. The local tech placed his input control board into the amp and it works. Trouble is that board is not available. No Crown repair house that I've spoken with will fix this amp. The last one told me Crown calls these units "end of life" units.
    Also, more recently, I see a boat load of these popping up for sale. They include the whole I-tech line-up (except new ones marked "HD" right in front). None of those are serviceable. Some prices don't reflect that fact. I've even seen full price being asked for old, well used amps, at the end of or nearing the end of their life.
    So be warned, buyer beware.

Moderator, please read and delete or correct as needed. I'd hate to see someone here spend big bucks on a (future?) boat anchor!
    I'd like to use the chassis for something, but Crown wasn't interested in helping me convert this old amp to a newer model or similar conversion. The main aftermarket Crown service center also said it wasn't possible.

I have (and had) many, many crown amps and liked them all (20+). I never ran into this before.

Quote Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
    I have (and had) many, many crown amps and liked them all (20+). I never ran into this before.
    I don't think this problem is limited to Crown. Most modern equipment with unique chip sets and digital design will become e-waste. Cars too. Once the supply of repair parts are used up, these modern marvels will become useless junk.

Look at the warranty that Bryston offers. 20 years on their traditional analog amplifiers. Much, much less on their digital gear or the digital portion of their hybrid gear.

Widget

Yes, it makes sense. The sad thing is my I-tech's amp section still works. The advanced (DSP?) control section is bad. That makes the amp a big door stop.
    I do see this all across the board. Every day appliances aren't serviceable. I cut the cord off and strip out any useful hardware.
    I just can't bring myself to do it here.

There's slim but possible chance that Amcron in Elkhart Indiana could still help.

They were the industrial division of Crown and are still located in the original location.
    I know they will still repair some of the vintage Crown amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    There's slim but possible chance that Amcron in Elkhart Indiana could still help.

They were the industrial division of Crown and are still located in the original location.
    I know they will still repair some of the vintage Crown amps.
    Yes, thanks. I believe that's who I spoke with.
    They stated that Crown said these are "end of life" amps now. No service is available.

Thread Information