Thread: L7's and Adcom

L7's and Adcom

Hello to All,

I got a pair of L7's a few months ago and haven't stop smiling since! They are powered by a 2-channel 225 WPC NAD. I have a theory question and don't know where to begin or how to word a search, so I thought I'd ask here.

Of course, I'm always looking to improve my system but often fall short in the funds department. There is a 5-channel, 300 WPC Adcom (GFA-7805) for sale nearby for $1250. I'm wondering if I can remove the jumper plate on the L7's and connect the LF on each speaker to the L/R Front posts on the amp, and the connect the HF on each speaker to the L/R Rear posts on the amp. Seems like bi-amping with one amp. Is this even possible? Would there be any side effects like burning down my house or ...? Is the Adcom even a good choice for this or is there a better choice?

Thank you in advance for ideas or suggestions.

Rick

That should work but if you read the long thread on the '90s L-series here you'll learn from the designer, Chris Hagen, how the blue jumper wire inside the crossover works in order to get you true bi-amp results when using an external electronic crossover. Do you have a copy of the L7 supplement?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...8640-Bi-wiring

L7 Supplement (probably on this site, too, but I timed-out trying to find it as I already have it in print and PDF):

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/28...L7.html#manual

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/...Supplement.pdf
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

"Do you have a copy of the L7 supplement?"

BMWCCA - Yes, I do have the L7 Supplement. I
    don't have the device the supplement says should be used for bi-amping. I failed to recognize the difference between bi-amping and bi-wiring. Thank you for your help. Time to read and study. Perhaps just using the Adcom (if I decide to get it) as a two channel amp and the 33% increase in power would help.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmoen View Post
    Time to read and study. Perhaps just using the Adcom (if I decide to get it) as a two channel amp and the 33% increase in power would help.
    My L7s like the 200-wpc Crown PS400 much more than the 100-wpc PS200. I've also used a Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four but just prefer the Crown. Most Adcoms I've used seem to behave similarly with the L7s—more power sounds better!

The stock L7 crossover is very good. I've not felt compelled to try true-bi-amp mode on them but will someday after I move, just for fun!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Have read that the "bi" (amp/wire) option doesn't do much for the L7's.

I ran a pair on a GFA-555 and doubt that they could get much better.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Have read that the "bi" (amp/wire) option doesn't do much for the L7's.
    I ran a pair on a GFA-555 and doubt that they could get much better.
    Well, unless they were another color!

Did you not ban all black-ash cabinets from under your roof?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Well, unless they were another color!

thaza given, tho I do have a black ash Velodyne Servo-sub in the HT, it works out well since
    I don't want to see it. And even some little 10in JBL powered sub in BA that I just
    want to hear and not see.

BA, to me, is camouflage. IF I have nice speakers, wud like to see them also.

Walnut/Teak/Mahogany/Oak forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    chrome also , but brass is OK. (no,not cabinets)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Funny-I sell Triumph motorcycles. In the Bonneville line, buyers 49 and younger go for the Black editions. Black exhaust, engine side covers, wheel rims. They also go for the matte paint finishes, looks like primer to me. All the cool guys 50+ go for chrome and beautiful gloss paint!

Thread Information