Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sovereign C60 S7R & LE85 Diaphragm Advice Needed

The two dimples at ~1:00 O'clock are not your problem and I can tell you what they were caused by.

Someone removed the horseshoe clip from the terminal and didn't hold on to it or pull it back far enough. The clip is ferrous and was drawn in to the magnet where the two ends (bent to 90 degrees) contacted the diaphragm leaving the marks you see. In most cases, these do not cause a problem, and I have an original 2420 diaphragm where this very thing happed to me leaving similar marks (maybe not as deep), with no consequences. This is in my center channel and I later did find an original tangential diaphragm and replaced the 2420 diaphragm as my left and right speakers also have tangential diaphragms, and I prefer their warmer sound.

You either have an open coil, or are not making contact somewhere along the line. I would offer you my 2420 diaphragm, but it would not match your other tangential diaphragm.

BTW, it is hard to believe that JBL would have let this pass QC, and at some point, someone did open this up and replaced the wax seals.

I think the crack and hole a bit further toward the periphery (actually in the surround) may be a larger problem
    It's had a long and hard life and it's time to replace... they wear out.

There appears to also be some separation at the 8 o'clock vector
    between frame and surround.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Those readings are correct for the goofy way JBL labels their impedance.

Your 6.9ohm reading for your le85 translates into you needing to buy the Radian 1225-16 ( as mentioned at the beginning of this thread ).

Please read the Radian tech sheet

Earl and Widget - thank you both for your replies.

There is no way on earth I would have known that my reading would mean I needed a 16 ohm replacement! But I see it now on the Tech Sheet!

Placing the order now through Parts Express. I'm going to try one for starters, see how it sounds with the other original, some freshly foamed woofers, and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I think the crack and hole a bit further toward the periphery (actually in the surround) may be a larger problem
    It's had a long and hard life and it's time to replace... they wear out.

Yes, that is hole all the way through the material at 1 o'clock is what I was concerned about and agree with you

There appears to also be some separation at the 8 o'clock vector
    between frame and surround.
    Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    The two dimples at ~1:00 O'clock are not your problem and I can tell you what they were caused by.

Someone removed the horseshoe clip from the terminal and didn't hold on to it or pull it back far enough. The clip is ferrous and was drawn in to the magnet where the two ends (bent to 90 degrees) contacted the diaphragm leaving the marks you see. In most cases, these do not cause a problem, and I have an original 2420 diaphragm where this very thing happed to me leaving similar marks (maybe not as deep), with no consequences. This is in my center channel and I later did find an original tangential diaphragm and replaced the 2420 diaphragm as my left and right speakers also have tangential diaphragms, and I prefer their warmer sound.

You either have an open coil, or are not making contact somewhere along the line. I would offer you my 2420 diaphragm, but it would not match your other tangential diaphragm.

BTW, it is hard to believe that JBL would have let this pass QC, and at some point, someone did open this up and replaced the wax seals.

Thanks for the reply and offer of your 2440. I"m going to order the Radian part.

I can see an indent at 1 o'clock, but more importantly, there is a hole clear through the material there (as Grumpy confirmed) and other damage to the diaphragm, so I'm not thinking your theory here is the root cause of failure.....

Upon further examination, there is also a small hole at 9 o'clock and I can actually see daylight from 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock all the way around the edge between the frame. It's separated. This thing is toast!

Unlikely those original wax seals I dug out had ever been touched.

Either way, moving on to the replacement phase now, thanks again for your reply!

New Radian diaphragm installed. Fit perfectly, lined up exactly as it should on the pegs and snugged down just right. Ran tone and sweep test, all good.

Scraped off the old foam residue in the back of the rear cap cover. There is a solid fabric pad below it that I left in tact. Glued some new open cell foam on the face and good to go.

Now on to the clean up of the woofers old foam and installing the new pairName:  IMG_8077.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  90.7 KBName:  IMG_8078.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  166.2 KBName:  IMG_8079.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  104.7 KB.

Thanks again guys!

Gotta love a good happy ending!

Thread Information