Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: KM2

Don't but a lot of weight on distortion measurements. Look up the Geddes distortion metric.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

reconingspeakers were so 'nice' and didnt put one order together - I specially pleased - and now things described at one invoice, are in different packages, and stucked in customs almost 10 days ...
    Holy 4367 Waveguides are there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The B&C application engineers recommend this driver for new projects because it’s got flexibility to suit a range of applications. The specs are also excellent.
    https://bcspeakers.com/en/products/l...-0/8/10mbx64-8
    That's really seems nice driver!

In past I messed with Seas, Dynaudio, Vifa, Scanspeak, all of them got me bored. And it's probably quite obvious, if accidentally not use them as headphones
    Boring went away when I purchased first JBL, the 4429 and heard from just 12'' like a real drum-set.

Now I do not know what other brands to thrust. PHL was weak. Beyma seems to take things seriosly.
    But yes, this B&C seems nice with wider bandwitdh, allows more play with cross. And phase seems bends nicely smooth. Surprise is just only 2,5'' VC.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Don't but a lot of weight on distortion measurements
    OK !?

At a basic level larger voice coil offers improved power handling but at the expense of limiting the high frequency response. A 3 inch VC sounds impressive but as l said you then start to enter a situation where a driver has a specific application.

What you should do is this.

Grab a bunch of different and mount each driver in its own test box, anything and play a full range recording your a familiar with through them. They will all sound different. Once you have compared them a few times you will identify several key traits they you like and dislike within the bandwidth of those drivers.

Some might be dynamically expressive, some smooth, some clear and some muted. If you did the same experiment with similar types of drivers the comparison comes down to which driver has the preferred positive key traits and the least sins of omission.

You might find the driver that you like the most is not the most expensive but it does what you like. In other words it delivers an emotional connection with what you played. Why this is is unique to you and your interpretation of musical sounds. If you sat and listened to a group of musicians playing the tune you were listening too the emotional connection would be compelling. It might be the tonal vividness of each musical instrument, the distinctive transient sound of wooden or metallic instruments, or the visceral impact. A lot of people put weight on the midrange for that emotional connection.

If you cut through the whole process of the building a complete loudspeaker no matter what it is if doesn’t deliver an emotional connection it’s a flop.

I should point out that loudspeaker designers actually adopt this process in a more detailed form. They will often specify an OEM supplier to build a driver to specific requirements after a detailed assessment of some off the shelf drivers from a supplier. They will then order 500 or so for an initial production run once prototypes have been approved.

Hello Anti K

Read this:

http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/The%20P...Distortion.pdf

Lots of great information here:

http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/papers.aspx

The man knows his trade.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Lens

Today got 4367 Lens
    Precisely done, seems like composite plastic, sturdy, flange installed. Well done, JBL!

I hoped - and now seems it's really possible integrate ( like, 'melt' ) them into Everest cabs due to very similar curves of sidewalls of Lens and cab walls. Result in my mind is integrated together like on piece.
    Pictured under angle; but while looking directly at vertical-axis, curves match near-ideally.
    Upper / Lower additional lips have in plan as well, inspired original Everests.

Covid lockdowns, time, work, logistics.
    When have time, there will be more pics 'for people in good seats' as macaroonie sayd About sawing and abusing things.

Before that, at least I post tomorrow some close-up pics of Lens, these are really well done.
    Can easy rise one of the most beloved Lens of serious DIY !
    Even fixation spots are bronze sleeves with thread, moulded into body of Lens. Not just 'holes in plastic'. Integrated flange. Nicely finished front surface.

(PS: pic is just for check visually the curves, no any intention assemble Lens on top)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2261h

Ordered some 10'' JBL cones as well.

Do they find a place in THIS project, is yet a question.
    Out of question is, they are nothing but heavy-duty. Crazy sturdy, huge motor (incl heat dissipation) + light cone.
    Made for heavy-welding no doubt.
    Looking forward how they measure. And sound.

Will see but I'm curios, even 'knocking' on the cone 'speaks' the full potential of this driver is not used yet. At stages, yes, there are compression mid-cones and matrix of them. But direct, at room ... not 'proffessional' ?

Pic illustartes the 10'' accomondates atop of basses, below the Lens, with ease. There is lot of room at Everests faceplate even for 12''.

Was difficulties in customs, but it's just todays world...
    No craches, packed well (in factory).

Never saw before in my life, SUCH of heavy machinery is built to move just a 50-gram piece of paper...
    Hi, JBL fans! Do not roll your crocodile tears. The Vibe seems is not gone.
    Well done, JBL!

Thumbs up

Okay Nice ( no Crocodile Tears from me ).

I'd love to see some of your measurement data on the 2261H ( TS values of course, but also frequency response made on a quasi test baffle ).

Glad to see you are moving forward with things now

4367 Lens

Found in deep throat sharp moulding edges. These have to sand off.
    It's OK for me as I'm planning saw and glue and sand them. But as they are like painted / finished product, not so polite...

The sidewalls of Lens, however they have sophisticated shape, the edges bend strait in the end and there I can swiftly 'move ahead' with Everest curved front baffle. Basically wider the Lenses.
    The lips-thing could be tricky. Hope, I do not vanish the benefits of these masterpieces.

Just wondering, how easily soon I could hear them - if just bolt a D2 and 2216Nd into a nice retangular veneered box and ... just kidding

JBL 2261H T/L data from Harman

Internet

It's in net available

Simple simulation of 2261H in reflex and sealed enclosures.

As l advise previously this driver has a ref efficiency of 1.3. About the same as a 2231H woofer.

If you are planning on dual 2216nd woofers then the 2261H in thd sealed enclosure with a crossover point in the 250 hertz region will have the least impact on the blending of the woofers to the midrange. Upper crossover point TBA.

Whether the inclusion of the 10 inch mid is worthwhile is debatable. l certainly would NOT cut out the mid hole before trialing a mid test box up on top of the Everest cabinets. Some diy efforts defy convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    the inclusion of the 10 inch mid is worthwhile is debatable
    Yes, it's debatable.
    12'' is a option, too

Remark: IAN, You are right. It's my little blog here. Who doesn't want, doesn't read. It's like a little story how one guy another side of planet RE-Found audio, found JBL. And decided to build one-more-thing. How the fairy tale ends, you don't know before it ends.
    But all must-be components of proper fairy-tales are there: characters agains, ironis characters , all
    You wonder where I take time to blog. Answer is, I read even waaay more.

You people grow up with this stuff, I was - like they say - behind the steelwall. Just 'some' years ago found out about Paragon, read history and compare what people made here anno 1957-58 etc...

It all started when got my first JBLs. The low-level ones, but at least proper ones, the 4429.
    Now I'm at *second circle*
    After ca 20y of pause.

In past messed up with so called High-End and ended up with shelfs covered with drivers and nothing to listen to. None of them made me live-feeling.
    Thats why I'm 'biased' against buying several drivers and test them and test them. It's like driver-masturbation.

Just couple month ago presented older dust-covered Beyma Cox'es to friends, even crosses and bolts incl. To abuse them at band-bunker.

What is different with me, is, I read alot and think alot.
    Because I actually build things from zero - that my real job. Thats the only way avoid (minimize) mistakes and warranty cases. So please do not be ironic, makeing things from zero takes time.
    And this project aint different.

BACK TO TOPIC

Like I sayd already once before this project is basically , like, kinda copy of 4350/55. Just, don't look at the shape and You see another picture momentarily.
    People who listened or even own 4350/55, talk just ... they even started listen operas!? Metal-heads listen operas!

Only problem is the size of these. For me, it's not.

And while some folks augment he's 4435 (2x15'' sic!) with additional (sic-sic!) 18'' Lows,
    then basically same is augment 4350/55 with additional 18'' Lows.
    Crazy but simple. If take topic in molecules.
    That's short description of my project. Contemporary 4350/55 with additional 18 Lows.

And mostly owners of these beasts fancy the fast mid...
    Despite, as funny it is, the huge system is all built across one MID!
    Which is - logic - human listen human voice best.
    Plus, yeah, just some ways above and (some) way below MID freguencies.

Only topic here is - and I admit it - am I able cross them right away. Am I able to make in the future phase linear.
    If not, I buy the knowledge in.

Now I'm on second circle and trying avoid old mistakes - shelfs covered with no-needed drivers. But seems cannot totally avoid this , AGAIN.

I mess up at moment with Lens integration.
    But the test-boxes will be there !

Went though quite punch of data;
    Found one 18s-12NDA610 is like clone of JBL-2202H on paper. Seems very much I order these as well... for testboxes or/and for shelfs

I think l have gotten into your head.

Sorry about that. My writing style has been compared to an American writer William T. Vollmann.

https://textbooks.zookal.com.au/prod...iABEgLZ1_D_BwE

You know we have plans of the 4350/4455. Has it remotely occurred to you that it is easier to build from those plans than what you are attempting and it would most likely turn out better because you have a flat baffle to get the driver layout right and the box volume right. You can then dream up a whimsical industrial design after you get it to sound listenable. You might have a train set running through one port and out the other.

I am pointing this out because 95% of lurkers are wondering the same things.

Btw l have a clean pair of 14 inch JBL 1400 Pro woofers which are excellent mid drivers if you are interested

Btw when you create something from scratch do you use a fine tip brush as it were or do you use fence painting brush and flick paint everywhere while telling a story like Rolf Harris used to do?

Thread Information