Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: KM2

This thread would not be complete without a review by Anti K of the most effect wood chipper to complete the process...Lol.

As asked, I break the silence:
    Waiting patiently Horns for HF and Cones for midrange across the Atlantic
    (first candidates mids - hope I can stay with JBL, certain BMS and 18sound models are also on the list of MID, but...)

There would be 'a review by Anti K of the most effect wood chipper' , IAN

This thread would be long:
    - have a'lot my (real) work to do, this is more experience and new on it's own cathegory, my brain smokes already
    - speakers would be executed with DIY amps and DSP-cross (do not expose details yet, otherwise the rant rise up to sky, just 2x5ch, actually 14 channels, some bridged, 9000W total)
    - my fingers itch and I was sooo sad when stopped veneered monsters; one day took shower and got idea for subs 2X 2x18'', inspired By Everest (shape) and Paragon (measures).
    I like crazy things.

So, thread would be long and I promise You good enterntainment; and IAN's comments ( + my comment on him) will shadow the Santa Barbara or Real Housewifes , no doupt.

PS:
    - As I cannot deny 4x18'' , was thinking maybe Everests get 2x15'' sealed (sic!). My (MY) math says its easyer implement 10-12''MID then. And down from 70Hz the 2x15'' are cut off anyway.
    But phase curves - seems to me - can be bended near-parallel at region around 300Hz (plus/minus octave) when both MID and LOW are sealed.
    - Another: front plate of cabs has to rebuild. Maybe I do it near-inch thick aluminium sheet to manage heat inside the cab - as things would be sealed.

THE LAST POINTS HAVE PLENTY TOPIC NOW RANT ON ME HOW CRAZY THESE ARE AND NOT DOABLE , LOL
    Last edited by Anti K; 04-22-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: mistakes

Sounds like a plan.

So what drivers have you ordered?

(When people come here they normal announce this as soon as possible so everyone cheers)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    So what drivers have you ordered?
    (When people come here they normal announce this as soon as possible so everyone cheers)
    I think it's too early for cheers...

I ordered (and they are not here) 4367 Lens and plan is, where the edges of horn end, to wider them by implementing with curve of baffle and width of Everest cab.
    How it ... one thing is sure - Everest cabs and 4367 Lens will meet a'lot of abusing!
    Just took a hint MrWidget sayd, what Timbers sayd: at Everests horn basically works third area, rest is estethics...
    Thought if I mess up with 4367 same way, maybe I do not f*** up them.
    After this 'bloody work' have info how much I have space on the front plate of baffle, how to install finally CD there (do not like any barndoor on nice curved baskside).

To measure just graphs I ordered also pair 2261H ; because there is no graph data. Quite high strenght motor combined with high Qms and low MMS payd my attention.

Somebody sayd here, certain people can swear on 2206.
    Maybe had to order 2262H (basically new 2206) for 'MID' and end of story.
    I do not pretend Best-ON-Planet system. Just fun and quite sure, all these named drivers do probably far better than 90% of all stuff on planet.

Found funny thing. One kinda High-End candidate Mid, a 12''BMS (a magic 100dB sensy) when I placed its graph with 2262's side-by-side - at 100W !!! - then I do not see huge difference there!? Just couple dB, basically nothing adjut with DSP...
    Maybe its like on paper there is always alot of options, finally I get brand with most experience - Mercedes again, and I'm happy driver in the middle of extreme comfy and balance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post
    I think it's too early for cheers...

I ordered (and they are not here) 4367 Lens and plan is, where the edges of horn end, to wider them by implementing with curve of baffle and width of Everest cab.
    How it ... one thing is sure - Everest cabs and 4367 Lens will meet a'lot of abusing!
    Just took a hint MrWidget sayd, what Timbers sayd: at Everests horn basically works third area, rest is estethics...
    Thought if I mess up with 4367 same way, maybe I do not f*** up them.
    After this 'bloody work' have info how much I have space on the front plate of baffle, how to install finally CD there (do not like any barndoor on nice curved baskside).
    i might have missed the discussion. But why did you not reuse the Everest horn?

trying to mount/use the 4367 horn in the Everest cabinet will be.... challenging to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    i might have missed the discussion. But why did you not reuse the Everest horn?

trying to mount/use the 4367 horn in the Everest cabinet will be.... challenging to say the least.
    I have Everest cabs but no horns.
    Pros and cons, latest JBL Lenses have quite high reputation. If I already rebuild things...
    Replicate Everest lens was sure easyer and even cheaper, that wasn't money-wise decision.

AntiK bought a pair of partially finished cabinets that came from the Danish wood shop that sadly fell by the wayside. Just woodwork , no added components so he would have had to fabricate DD66000 horns from scratch. No easy task.
    There is data and 3d machining codes lurking around but that would just be the start of a very trying process to get a good one off .
    He may well be on the right track if he can make cosmetic extensions to the horn he is buying. If it all fits in fairly well it might be a winner.
    Remember he is not trying to clone a DD66000 , he just has the boxes and is trying to make something worthwhile in side that format.
    Good luck to the man , best DIY in ages.

Antik , lets make some sawdust

Your going to have fun.

The Everest is 18.5 inches deep. An 18 inch Jbl 2288 could go on the bottom....Lol. EV did something like that with the Patrician that had a huge 30 in woofer on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post
    I have Everest cabs but no horns.
    Pros and cons, latest JBL Lenses have quite high reputation. If I already rebuild things...
    Replicate Everest lens was sure easyer and even cheaper, that wasn't money-wise decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    AntiK bought a pair of partially finished cabinets that came from the Danish wood shop that sadly fell by the wayside. Just woodwork , no added components so he would have had to fabricate DD66000 horns from scratch. No easy task.
    There is data and 3d machining codes lurking around but that would just be the start of a very trying process to get a good one off .
    He may well be on the right track if he can make cosmetic extensions to the horn he is buying. If it all fits in fairly well it might be a winner.
    Remember he is not trying to clone a DD66000 , he just has the boxes and is trying to make something worthwhile in side that format.
    Good luck to the man , best DIY in ages.
    Oh I see. I have the wrong impression that the D66000 horn is actually part of the cabinet and yours came with it. JBL did a much better job with that series in terms of finishing than well... everything else.

Trying to somehow blend the 4367 horn to the D66000 will be a challenge. I hope you have a CNC!

Hey at least you are not trying to shoehorn the M2 horn into the D66000.

I'll add another 2 cents...

For me most of the aesthetic appeal of the DD66000/DD67000 is the horn and its integration into the cabinet. Having lived with a pair for many years, I can attest, they do not suck.

If this was my project I would reach out to others on this Forum who have cloned these horns and keep the original horn. Change the drivers, add a mid if you feel you must, but deleting the super tweeter and keeping the original horn would be part of my plan.

I'll go back to my popcorn now.

Widget

Hi Widget,

It’s an interesting diy project.

Fabrication of a horn throat adapter with a 3D printer is a viable approach. A horn can be built up in stages with 3D printing. Rapid prototyping can then be accomplished.

Clearly Anti K has aspirations to re incarnate the cabinets into something different.

My 2 cents is to cover the horn section with a grill cloth like the Klipsch horn and just insert the 4367 horn without blending it in to the enclosure.

My other thought is to make a mid baffle with a profile to suit the width of the enclosure and sit it on top of the cabinets and cover with grill cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    For me most of the aesthetic appeal of the DD66000/DD67000 is the horn and its integration into the cabinet.
    Agree.I was (and still do) fancy these aesthetics.
    And same time want to get part of new Lens geometry, the original new...

basically seeking real estate on top of the hill with nice endless view, down at nice valley, near tiny river....LOL

Nothing is cement yet,
    starting the 4367 Lens will fly to carbage / ending I order additional pair; from one pair I get horizontal parts and from another vertical parts, Lips'n stuff, and they 'click' together as Everest ones.
    BTW, we wrote with person who has Everest lens lips CNC files, did the job before (!) , NICE PERSON (imho made these for Guido).
    Just he had not the exact curves for original cab ... a tiny problem we found how to solve it.
    Will see...

With UHF I had 'personal issue'. The 045 is total ... same result if I do just gloss-black triangle up to the top of cab with some big* Swarovski there:
    Then at least will never be a WAF problem with these cabs !!!

Was thinking also to hide 'in there' a potential Ribbon and make for it a outlet of horn with same shape/size as the original 'Swarovski-holder'.
    And the black-gloss triangle can be assembled up there.
    It's possible to do with adding layer-by-layer up to the cab MDF-sheets (basically cabs will be just a'bit taller...

At least, the most 'uglyest' version is on the picture below, with 1:1 dirct photo of 4367 Lens plus widened.
    I drop the picture a while ago here - the widening (adding to original) will hide the original 4367 in that way, its recogniseable...
    Thats why I drop it again - take a sharper look and You see 4367 hidden there.

('Full-Kabuki' of UHFs because Ribbons are so directive - do not know does it work (above ca 15kHz) if cross-place them)
    White cab just because of see things on draft. But in reality probably cabs will be piano-black and Lens matte.
    Black+blach to 'hide' my 'perversions'

Looking like a monitor.

Are you aware that the compression driver throat resonance (throat area and volume) and the throat departure angle need to match these rapid flare rate wave guides for optimal performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Your going to have fun.

The Everest is 18.5 inches deep. An 18 inch Jbl 2288 could go on the bottom....Lol. EV did something like that with the Patrician that had a huge 30 in woofer on the rear.
    Draft of subs (both 2x18) and Everest cabs. Identical grills and front curves for 'play together' visually.
    Rear would be just terminals.
    If even (maybe down there: how oftern I have to access to terminals: once!) - do not like 'sausages' on the carpet...
    Rear would be clean as possible.
    I know only 2 brands with clean rear - Apple and Bang & Olufsen, and I like them both.

Thread Information