Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: KM2

476Mg & M2 and PTH1010

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Ivica

Thanks for posting that.

Something is not right?? We must be measuring under different conditions. I don't show any significant roll off until about 700Hz. I got the same measurements on 2 different calibrated measurement systems. I am wondering if he had a protection cap or some network in place when he did the measurement.

Looking at the measurement I can understand why you said that. I did mine with no protection cap.
    Hello Robh3606,

I do know how I have not seen Your nice work presented here:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post412387

Nice Work.

Regards
    Ivica

PEACE! Thank You all for support.
    The video didn't touched as much my nerve as I was worried; showing just one side of view doesn't show whole picture.
    Fortunately I see folks here are very well informed, appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Don’t fall for opinion and glorious after market beryllium diaphragms /... /
    I try

Lets leave the money-talk for a moment. Lets play game we do not know the costs, compare things as they are. And no opinions what neighbour's friend sayd...
    I see basically 3 options. JBL476Be, TAD4001, Radian951Be.
    First one is not in sales, purchase is a gamble, and if even, not new. Next two are on market, both have 5 split phase plug (476 has 4 split). Last one has surround made from extemely durable, strength, light, dumping material: Mylar.
    I think if choose no matter which one from 3, no regrets.

But seems I cannot ignore the UHF anymore - got too many advises already.
    (and I have an option if i install it and still not like - all active - just turn OFF )
    And THAT'S a question, which one. Here is even less options, both not available, TAD073 and JBL045Be.
    Last edited by Anti K; 02-07-2021 at 03:14 PM. Reason: type

Quote Originally Posted by ANTI K
    ....But - I didn't have additional plug!!!???
    I made a 3,5mm plug handmade, with handfile, under zoomglass
    Had to!...

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I cannot express, even in my own language how much I am impressed and appreciate this! Amazing and astounding are a couple of words that come to mind.
    Thanks 1audiohack !
    Appreciate You appreciate.
    A bit more difficult was later project I was older. Made drafts and ordered from Germany moulding forms for round-shape speakers.
    6,5'' / 12'' /15-18''. They still are in my warehouse. Moulding form for enclosure for 18'' was 3 feet diameter monoblock 'stump' from pure Aluminium. Actually 2 'stumps'. Wasn't allowed any tiny bubble inside material. Milled empty, sanded as smooth as possible inside (outside of enclosure).
    In one thread here was a problem with saw the M2 lens. 'Material is a bitch', sayd master. Some abrasives where added into plastic. I added sand to polyehylene anno 2000 make it more rigid.
    My avatar is one of them. Hi-gloss paint.
    Stand is stainless steel; upper part cross of it is water-cut from 2'' thick stainless sheet and legs 0,5'' thin, 5 elements welded in one piece, sanded, polished...

What I'm saying. Form versus content. I'm more on content now. Want to hear as well, not just watch

But now: What UHF I add to my veneered monsters? I see 2 options: 045 or yes?
    Last edited by Anti K; 02-07-2021 at 02:49 PM. Reason: type

Set Up

Have one more idea.
    Lot of people had opinions about setup, the layout or...
    Qeuss why is there a round carpet in lounge (listening) area. On draft up is my desk, on right is working area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There are some very good alternatives for uhf.

If you need high sensitivity look at some small Heil drivers or Ribbon drivers.
    Fostex make some small horn UHF but they are expensive and may not appeal subjectively.

18Sound also has a very good be driver if you want to go Be.

There was a review in Voice Coil a pro loudspeaker industry journal comparing a Radian Be driver to a Radian Ai driver. They both scored very high performance. If l were you l would look at lower cost options to begin with.

I would also look at Joseph Crowe new Horns from Canada. They are next generation and and have very good attributes.

18Sound also has a very good be driver if you want to go Be.

There was a review in Voice Coil a pro loudspeaker industry journal comparing a Radian Be driver to a Radian Ai driver. They both scored very high performance. If l were you l would look at lower cost options to begin with.

I would also look at Joseph Crowe new Horns from Canada. They are next generation and and have very good attributes.

The Joseph Crowe Horns look really promising! Designed for 2 way mainly tho. Sure you could ask him to develop custom horns for you.
    Btw you should ask yourself do you want a slot or a ring style of uhf. Has to do with personal taste your room and system integration, I would go for slot (beyma still builds something like a 2405) but the bullets like Fostex T925A do sound pretty sweet too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post

If you can find them, that's another driver with likely no support from JBL. Fostex makes some nice tweeters, if I was in the market I think I'd look at some of their higher-end offerings. At least you can buy them!

And now I see Kreativlos has already mentioned the Fostex line.

Joseph Crowe has 600, 800, 1200 and some uHF horn designs.

Design of a truly great 2 way system is in fact more difficult if better results are to be obtained than a 3 or 4 way system.

This is because each driver is being asked to do more outside of its optimal operating range.
    Obtaining the optimal tonal balance is more difficult as the response of the 2 drivers will very likely require EQ in 2 or even 3 areas to voice the overall system. This is beyond what most diy audio amateurs can achieve with their skills and resources at home. Success can depend on an optimal response within a range +0.5 - 0 - -0.5 dB.

It is far simpler for an audio amateur to achieve this with individual level controls for the midrange, horn, uhf drivers relative to the woofer.

It’s also generally more cost effective to have a specific driver for each frequency range and there are far more options available than soa drivers that promise good results in a 2 way design.

Jbl tends to make variations of specific drivers to serve a particular role in their soa consumer systems.

Again you have far more control and flexibility in a multi way system of your own design which is often an evolving design.

This could be a sub and a uhf driver added to augment a conventional 2 way system or a classic 3 or 4 way system with deliberately restricted driver operating ranges.

In terms of practical results most diy users identify with (1) grouped
    system linearity (low dynamic compression at all frequencies) tonal balance and low THD more readily than (2) grouped esoteric time alignment and flat power response attributes. These attributes are more useful in a highly optimised acoustic environment. This is rarely the case in a domestic consumer setting.

If you can’t achieve the former (1) first the later (2) is pointless.

It’s surprising that many diy audio amateurs focus on the later (2) without giving the former (1) real attention.

An emotional connection requires the former (1) attributes which are the hallmarks of many of Jbls project systems.

If you have ever compared a Dahlquist DQ10 or a Vandensteen
    Model 2CE to a vintage Jbl 4344 or a more recent Jbl consumer 4467 you will appreciate the distinction.

Hi Anti K,

may be BMS 4540 is one candidate too, as UHF driver.

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    If you can find them, that's another driver with likely no support from JBL
    Yep. Seems that way unfortunately.
    Seems JBL moves the high section to dual-dia. Which seems logical though - HF and UHF both from same decent lens...
    Small sibling they have now is D2415.

There are some very good alternatives for uhf.

... or Ribbon drivers.
    Have a Aurum Cantus G3.

Have a Aurum Cantus G3.
    That was in my mind also. Max output might be of concern. Fountek also a possibility.

Some of the ScanSpeak dome tweeters have sensitivity of 95 dB. If you attenuate the horn back this this alternative would work. A small diameter dome or a ring radiator type with dimple will have improved dispersion at high frequencies.

The other thing you can do is move by the dome in a small wave guide.

Have a Aurum Cantus G3.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    That was in my mind also. Max output might be of concern.
    I don't know. Double then
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information