Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 318

Thread: KM2

  1. #106
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post
    I don't know. Double then
    That won't work. However if you are handing over at 15k + then the gross power envelope will not be that huge. Some of the AC and Fountek drivers rate at 60 watts. A single driver should be fine.
    If you use a horn you should have ample spl.

  2. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Some of the ScanSpeak dome tweeters have sensitivity of 95 dB. If you attenuate the horn back this this alternative would work. A small diameter dome or a ring radiator type with dimple will have improved dispersion at high frequencies.

    The other thing you can do is move by the dome in a small wave guide.
    I think it was badman who did some testing of dome tweeters in small waveguides, so I mounted a ScanSpeak 9700 into a little 1" Parts Express waveguide. Holy smokes, that thing came alive - way too much for the little 2 way I was planning, but a fun test.

    There are also some well regarded beryllium dome tweeters out there, SB and ScanSpeak both make some I think, if the OP wants Be

  3. #108
    Senior Member Anti K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    That won't work. However if you are handing over at 15k + then the gross power envelope will not be that huge. Some of the AC and Fountek drivers rate at 60 watts. A single driver should be fine.
    If you use a horn you should have ample spl.
    wait a minute, this AC G3 rates 60W, 100dB sensitivity. Or I misunderstood something.

  4. #109
    Senior Member Anti K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I think it was badman who did some testing of dome tweeters in small waveguides


    I think it was badbadman. They are tested without waveguides IMHO.
    Maybe that's why I never heard any dome tweeter I liked.

    Ribbons ... graphs sometimes are almost 'boring'. Just stight lines...
    Well, vertical dispersion is't good.

  5. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post


    I think it was badbadman. They are tested without waveguides IMHO.
    Maybe that's why I never heard any dome tweeter I liked.

    Ribbons ... graphs sometimes are almost 'boring'. Just stight lines...
    Well, vertical dispersion is't good.
    Here's the article, FWIW (the author posts as badman here)

    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0311/supertweeter.htm

  6. #111
    Senior Member Anti K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    131

    !

    Wow, look what's written here!

    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    ... or, put the 476Be in the M2, use the 2216nd in the 80Hz-800Hz decade, and /... / subs


    (just kidding)
    06-13-2015, 08:35 AM
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Monitor/page51

  7. #112
    Senior Member Anti K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    131
    Could somebody please have the (exact) dimensions of this WG
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #113
    Senior Member Anti K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    131

    Port

    Port or Noport, that's the question.
    K2 and Everests have rear ports. Why?
    (i make curved back, if it makes any difference, in terms of port tuned to 27Hz)

    M2 has front-mounted ports, obviously, they are used often in Theatres as well, while installed directly to the wall, same with Sub18, there is no question.

    While drawing CNC files got opportunity reduce the height of monsters significally and measures overall, just inside construction went complicated.
    Especially mounting long front ports.
    Rear mounting allows install straight ports with ease, looking spead like DD60000.

    Or go to sealed (!?) - what I get is minus 6db at 32Hz.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #114
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,582
    The M2 is a equalised bass reflex system. The K9900 and the DD67000 are not.

    The later rely on the proximity of room boundaries to augment the bass extension and bass output below 100 hertz. The rear placement of the port supports this function as the rear ports are closer to the room boundaries than a front firing port.

  10. #115
    Senior Member Anti K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The later rely on the proximity of room boundaries to augment the bass extension and bass output below 100 hertz. The rear placement of the port supports this function as the rear ports are closer to the room boundaries than a front firing port.
    Replacement of speakers is more complicated?
    Or doesn't matter, front- or rearported, away from the wall there is a 'mess' at low section anyway...?
    DSP room correction is a friend.

    Mr. Widget, You made Yourself a sealed, measures of speaker wasn't only reason ?

  11. #116
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post
    Mr. Widget, You made Yourself a sealed, measures of speaker wasn't only reason ?
    For my “Project Widget” project, since I was attempting to create an ultimate system, I mocked up everything prior to the final build.

    I mocked up baffle shapes around the mid horn, relative driver placement, and I built both sealed and ported enclosures of different sizes for both the 10” TAD midbass driver and the JBL Sub1500.

    For my drivers in this application, sealed was the way to go for the Sub1500.


    Widget

  12. #117
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    For my “Project Widget” project, since I was attempting to create an ultimate system, I mocked up everything prior to the final build.

    I mocked up baffle shapes around the mid horn, relative driver placement, and I built both sealed and ported enclosures of different sizes for both the 10” TAD midbass driver and the JBL Sub1500.

    For my drivers in this application, sealed was the way to go for the Sub1500.


    Widget
    Hi Mr. Widget,

    Any kind of LF correction has been applied ??

    Regards
    Ivica

  13. #118
    Senior Member Anti K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    131
    Got the internal structure in place.

    Measures are not monsters anymore; If compared to the real beasts.
    Maybe Fountec UHF ribbons, maybe even round shape to keep options open, vertical or horisontal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #119
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,794
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Mr. Widget,

    Any kind of LF correction has been applied ??

    Regards
    Ivica
    Yes.

  15. #120
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post
    Replacement of speakers is more complicated?
    Or doesn't matter, front- or rearported, away from the wall there is a 'mess' at low section anyway...?
    DSP room correction is a friend.

    Mr. Widget, You made Yourself a sealed, measures of speaker wasn't only reason ?
    The point is if you are going the diy route you are more likely to achieve the optimal bass response with some low frequency EQ using a 2216nd woofer. Being reliant on enclosure placement with a rear port to achieve optimal bass is very much a hit and miss affair. You might sacrifice imaging for good bass or visa versa.

    The 2216nd will take a stack of power and has ample cone excursion for electrical EQ.

    In my own experience using room boundaries to obtain a satisfactory bass response requires movement of the woofer in a 3D axis. Moving an enclosure back and force and or sideways can work but the distance of the woofer from the floor can also effect boundary coupling and impact on higher frequencies.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •