Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wtd Aquarius 4 xovers?

Generally wirewound pots suffer from 1 oxidation 2 general muck and athospheric polution ( cigar smoke , coal fire fumes , hairspray etc ) bear in mind that there is a handy air pump working away when the speaker is playing . and 3 when the contact becomes bad there may be tiny arcing at the the contact point of the pot wiper.

In my experience for the most part these pots stay in the same position for years and years. Hence the other windings will become dirty as described meaning erratic contact.
    I have found that by winding the pot over its full range ( in conjunction with contact cleaner ) many times then the wiper and the windings are effectively cleaned for service.

Sometimes its 10 times sometimes 40

This may be sufficient to clear things up but the fact remains that after 50 years the caps will be off. Inductor should be ok and you can test the resistors. No burning is a good sign. Re solder all the joints.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Generally wirewound pots suffer from 1 oxidation 2 general muck and athospheric polution ( cigar smoke , coal fire fumes , hairspray etc ) bear in mind that there is a handy air pump working away when the speaker is playing . and 3 when the contact becomes bad there may be tiny arcing at the the contact point of the pot wiper.

In my experience for the most part these pots stay in the same position for years and years. Hence the other windings will become dirty as described meaning erratic contact.
    I have found that by winding the pot over its full range ( in conjunction with contact cleaner ) many times then the wiper and the windings are effectively cleaned for service.

Sometimes its 10 times sometimes 40

This may be sufficient to clear things up but the fact remains that after 50 years the caps will be off. Inductor should be ok and you can test the resistors. No burning is a good sign. Re solder all the joints.

It is unusually clean in there, the JBL dealer lived with his sister all his life and given it was a family business she kept the stock clean.... my point being its squeakily clean in there..perhaps theres a net to keep the fibrewool in place...but that was quite stiff and sitting well.

After pot cleaning theres a definite change for the sweeter tweeter. In the long run I may rewire (improve ) when i do the tweeter changeback. I hope I get some correct ones from the marketplace. So i will leave the resolder till then

The other unit has a definite lower presence or volume re use of balance control and listening but its pot has a good feel to its turning. Fingers crossed for cleaning. Just sold my house yesterday so priorities etc

I will try and take a,pic of the next one. Those speaker terminals are a national disgrace!

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Ian put a shout out on the forum marketplace. There are plenty of members here with serious squirrel tendencies.

I am keeping my fingers crossed ... but no offers so far.im am tempted to buy those ebay ones... did you look at the link... am i crazy?

Thread Information