Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtd Aquarius 4 xovers?

Wtd Aquarius 4 xovers?

as a newcomer i realise this is not about passive xovers but xover geeks maybe the place to ask for pointers.

i believe i need to repair the xovers. if any readers have a reliable pair or a pair for me to have as spares do let me know

salut

Quote Originally Posted by ian r View Post
    as a newcomer i realise this is not about passive xovers but xover geeks maybe the place to ask for pointers.

i believe i need to repair the xovers. if any readers have a reliable pair or a pair for me to have as spares do let me know

salut
    I believe that you're best off to make up a pair using newer parts ( rather than waiting for a reliable pair to appear ).

You can buy parts in the UK from someone like Blue Aran

Here's the schematic ( included within ) the Tech Sheet for the S109

Your le20 tweeters can also be replaced by le25 or le26 tweeters if need be.

Troels Gravesen on his site has published lots of good info on these vintage JBL tweeters.

I notice that on the tech sheet the recommended replacement is 035 TiA.

Plenty of aftermarket versions of this here can anyone vouch for the quality ?

also copy le25 here

2.2mH inductor cheaper from CPC than Blue aran herehttp://cpc.farnell.com/visaton/5020/...-8r/dp/FT01427

Hi Mac,

Since I have no purchasing experience from the UK, where do think is the best place to buy network parts ( for a UK citizen )?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi Mac,

Since I have no purchasing experience from the UK, where do think is the best place to buy network parts ( for a UK citizen )?

There used to be a guy but he sold his biz , possibly to Blue Aran. Let me have a scratch about

here you go .... http://audio-components.co.uk/

here's yer 2mH : https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...wire-coil.html

12 quid.

Ferrite core from Falcon https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/au...-inductor.html

5 quid

Capacitors from Falcon https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/al...apacitors.html

prices don't seem scary

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post

I can locate genuine Le20 on the bay but obviously old, most have some indication they work with multimeter readings etc

2.2mH inductor cheaper from CPC than Blue aran herehttp://cpc.farnell.com/visaton/5020/...-8r/dp/FT01427

Thanks for ths very much

I sill havent got access to inspect the xovers

i dont want to HaVE to go down below the woofer rather than simply unscrew the xover board.... which maybe bigger than the actual hole....

I have unscrewed it that but the board is glued in very tightly and sealed

Most kind to send such a link re blue aran and schematic

the inestimable troels gravesen

its a few years since i was there re Tannoys.

Thats good news re tweeter alternatives - these seem to fit id like them if others feel its a runner

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-J...19.m1438.l2649

I believe that you're best off to make up a pair using newer parts ( rather than waiting for a reliable pair to appear ).

You can buy parts in the UK from someone like Blue Aran

Here's the schematic ( included within ) the Tech Sheet for the S109

Your le20 tweeters can also be replaced by le25 or le26 tweeters if need be.

Troels Gravesen on his site has published lots of good info on these vintage JBL tweeters.

Le20

Ian put a shout out on the forum marketplace. There are plenty of members here with serious squirrel tendencies.

Ian put a shout out on the forum marketplace. There are plenty of members here with serious squirrel tendencies.

I wondered if there was one

Beautiful day here

Okay Mac!

That is seriously funny ( because it's so true ).

Quote Originally Posted by ian r View Post
    Thanks for ths very much

I sill havent got access to inspect the xovers

i dont want to HaVE to go down below the woofer rather than simply unscrew the xover board.... which maybe bigger than the actual hole....

I have unscrewed it that but the board is glued in very tightly and sealed
    Whats the blockage ? Is the input panel not budging.? A sharp knock with a bit of wood impelled by a hammer placed in one of the corners

I doubt that the factory glued them but AN other may have done so along the road

Okay Mac!

That is seriously funny ( because it's so true ).

I'd be willing to put money on there being at least 20 pairs of working 2108's lurking in boxes in cupboards.

Whats the blockage ? Is the input panel not budging.? A sharp knock with a bit of wood impelled by a hammer placed in one of the corners

I doubt that the factory glued them but AN other may have done so along the road
    Well the dealer may have sealed them up when refoaming etc took place as there is clear glue/ sealant all around the join between cab and input panel

So no,its not budged a micron..but I will go and have a go the noo
    Such encouragement to get robust is so helpful, i have no sense of fragility etc yet

Ta da

Im in... its sunset here so more tomorrow

What i realised is that one has to undo all 6 screws around the panel and not the 4 which look relevant with the lowest 2 some 6 inches away

but they dont look connected to the panel logically..

cheers Macaroonie

couldnt resist going in further

The component on the xover look perfect and i mean perfect, in line, untouched and unstressed ...at least visually and the wax looks perfect and clean as do the cardboard rings around the wax

The fibreglass wadding is undisturbed.

I cannot find my watch screwdriver with the microscopic phillips head to get in the pot knob retaining grubscrew

Can anyone say what is the fixture method as that screw seems unbelievably small...i can hardly see it and im guessing its a phillips ....

By twisting the panel about with the wire on i found the tags coming out of the presence pot... so i sprayed contact cleaner in all 3 of them... more in hope than anticipation...however some cleaner must have got in as the pot now turns very pukka and feel tight and not granular anymore

On sight alone the xover looks good.

So The cab I opened did have the flaky presence knob but it had the louder oomph when playing... so i felt the xover is an issue in the other one ...which i will open tomorrow

I noticed several phillips bolts are missing from the tweeter panel... is such detail listed somewhere i havent looked...?

as i will need to clamp it up again...

hi quality work much in evidence in the wiring and construction

Thread Information