Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What goes between DVD out and my amps?

SteveW

What goes between DVD out and my amps?

After getting a super-duper 5.1 concert DVD I wanted to blast (Floyd), I thought I'd set up a 5.1 thing using power amps and speakers I already have. Having originally hooked up the stereo outs from my Toshiba 4800 DVD player to the TV, I looked in the back and find digital audio outs and 5.1 analog outs. I was hoping to feed the analog outs to my gear and be done, but found that there is no DTS or Dolby etc. decoding built in. Only the fakey surround Pro logic 2 thing is available from the player. There's got to be a better way out of this than to go buy some razmataz 5.1 receiver/amp thing with a bunch of stuff I already have......whats the cool-guy way to do this?

Hi,

Your question interests me because at present I am using two channel only because I want optimum two channel audio. If you like your present DVD player and power amps (six channels worth?) I think your best option is an A/V preamp with digital input and decoding, because for the sake of your sanity you will want a master volume control. At least I think so. This may not be very helpful because I may be just seconding your question.

David

An AV pre-amp is ultimately the way to go, but not necessarily the cheapest. Given the much wider market demand, it is much easier to find an inexpensive AV receiver that has pre/main outputs than it is to find an inexpensive stand alone preamp. Such a receiver would allow you to use your power amps, but you would still be paying for electronics you would never use. You may be able to find a DVD player with built in decoding and a volume control, but this means buying another piece of gear that is probably no cheaper than an inexpensive AV receiver that gives you much more flexibility.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

SteveW
    Yep... have all the amps, and was listening to 2 ch. for same reason. A remote volume control would be a BIG plus. I don't want to buy another DVD player unless it make more sense to go that way - as opposed to a preamp. I could be persuaded into a new DVD-A/SACD machine however. Do the new ones play DVD's too - and have decode built in, or is it into a preamp for that? I suppose recommendations for a decent decoding preamp or ? would be in order. Price range is 'working man'
    Thanks!
    Last edited by SteveW; 12-22-2004 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling

SteveW
    After submitting - and then reading Don's post, the AV direction seems like the way to go. How about some recommendations each way and I'll hit ebay. How would the DVD-A/SACD fit in here?

Hi,

In my cursory explorations I have the sense that it is a lot easier to find a player with decoding than one with a volume control. SACD! Yes! A definite sign of intelligent life on earth. A CD/DVD/SACD with decoding is not hard to find but may be pricey. The least expensive way to go may be as Don says, decoding in an A/V receiver and keep the considerations about a new player separate. The DVD-A/SACD combination is harder to find since they are competing formats and at the moment seem to be aimed at different markets; the one or two I've seen that have that combination are "play everything players" and are pricier.

I have read that 5.1 and DVD-A, although having a similar number of channels, are actually different standards that are optimized differently with regards to speaker placement and channel level.

Hope this helps,

David

I like SACD!

SACD sounds great, if you can get a machine, and have an AV pre amp as Don suggests, youll have something really spectacular!

SACD sounds really amazing!
    scottyj

Last year, I bought my parents a NAD T752 AV receiver for $400US and they quite like it. It has been replaced by the T753 that should be similarly priced. It is full featured including pre/main outputs.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

SteveW

Bellringer?

Found this...it's a Denon SACD DVD2900
    Anyone know if the bass management can be turned off? It's gonna feed 4425's in the living room, and 4435's in the studio - as soon as Giskard finishes his 'quick peek' Comments?

Stolen from ebay.......
    plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, and Video CD
    plays SACD, DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW
    built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoder with 5.1-channel output
    digital bass management for multichannel output
    optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM (96kHz/24-bit capable)
    remote control
    192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown audio D/A converter
    audio signal-to-noise ratio 118 dB

That looks like a dandy player!

I think the Bass Management would be selectable. Here's a URL at Denon where it says under the heading of Bass Management that it is "possible to preset speaker configurations."

Seems like this "workingman" is doing all right.

David

SteveW
    Just shoppin'....

Google hits are at $700.00 new, and as I just learned, there a new 'double-overhead, throw-me-down' model coming out in Jan. Maybe that will drive the price down.

Ummmm.....if that's what I do. Haven't forgot about ya Don!

I bought a new Harmon Kardon AVR 630 receiver on ebay for about $500 last summer. It has a ton of functions including a "7.1" system with discrete front subs and suppossed multi room function (plays two different program materials in two different zones). It looked good on paper but I probably wouldnt buy it again. It heats up everything in my AV cabinet and has killed a DVD player and one VCR allready. I need to install a fan in it and am upset at the thought in that I relocated all my amps to an adjacent bedroom's closet to get rid of fan noise. Also it doesnt have speaker selector switches (like speakers A/B/C) for multiple outputs. I used those on my last Yamaha to power my three other rooms speakers. Almost all the functions are menu driven which is a pain in the but as well. That may be standard now. I have to buy a speaker switch (yikes they are expensive). I liked my Yamaha Dolby pro logic reciever. Some repair problems over the ten years I used it but parts were readily available. I have heard good things about the Denon also. My brother loves his. Not happy with Sony's reliability. I kept buying it hoping, only to be dissapointed. I had a parasound dolby preamp that was nice sounding but not as much flexibility as I needed (no phono stage). I had a hard time finding decent info anywhere on these receivers and kinda bought blind. Let me know if you find a good source for reviews of these things in this range. I saw a forum on home theater that had some great info on DVD players, I cant remember the name right now. Good luck.

SteveW

What a gal!

While poking around the net for gear info I found this study done that compares the playback dynamics of CD, DVD-A and SACD formats. A very interesting read. If these links don't work search google for 'Dynamic comparison of CD, DVD-A, SACD. Check it out!

http://users.bigpond.net.au/christie/comparo/index.html
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/christie/comparo/part2.html
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/christie/comparo/part3.html
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/christie/comparo/part4.html

Hi Steve

The Denon is an intriging unit. However, I'm not sure that you can drive power amps directly without the need for a preamp. I couldn't see any provision for a master volume control, although I may have missed it.

Don

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by andresohc
    I bought a new Harmon Kardon AVR 630 receiver on ebay for about $500 last summer. It has a ton of functions including a "7.1" system with discrete front subs and suppossed multi room function (plays two different program materials in two different zones). It looked good on paper but I probably wouldnt buy it again.
    Yeah, when H/K gets it right it's pretty damn right but they take the cake for screwing stuff up too. It amazes me the enormous range of quality that comes out of that dump. You know, the usual... Some models sound spectacular and have a half life of 10,000 years and other models blow up just because someone looks crosseyed at them from across the room.

Thread Information