Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL C45 S8 speakers questions

JBL C45 S8 speakers questions

I can't find much information on these speakers. I happened to buy a home in 2015 that had an estate sale before going on the market. I found that the only thing that wasn't sold were these speakers hiding in a custom made console with the console grills screwed shut. No one bothered to open it up to see what was inside! The guy who bought these speakers passed away in 1985 and they were probably not used much afterwards. The home was built in 1971 with one owner and the widow moved into a nursing home in 2007 and passed in 2012. The estate sat empty but was maintained until it hit the market.

I see the S8 components were first listed in the 1974 JBL catalog but not every year catalog is listed in the library on this site? Couldn't find the C45 enclosure, so not sure what year these speaker were purchased new.

The speakers look in great shape and they sound incredible. I saw only one pair of these speakers being auctioned in 2016 for $4700 but not sure what it sold for. I see currently many of the S8 components being sold on eBay for a lot of money. The 375 driver/HL93 horn lens now asking for more than $4000/pr! If all S8 components sell at asking, it would sell for over $6000.

Speaker grills are missing.

My questions:

Anybody have an idea what year these went on sale?
    What do you think these speakers are really worth on the market? I think more than $3000 but much more than that?
    If you had these and didn't need to sell, you think they will continue to appreciate?
    Speaking of appreciation, I'd rather listen to these with my Denon AVS 3100X than my high end Klipsch 7.2 setup with my Denon AVS4100X - at least in stereo.Attachment 80495Attachment 80496Attachment 80497Attachment 80498Attachment 80495Attachment 80496Attachment 80497Attachment 80498
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Ah, the Flair.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/1974-l45.htm

Fortunate find. Good luck with your sale.

If you think they sound good now, you should try them after you get rid of the hard-as-a-rock Lansaloy surround material!

Looks like 1973 for the first C45/L45 listed in the catalogs, along with the S8 system. Though the S8 actually is shown much earlier, too, at least as far back as 1962.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    If you think they sound good now, you should try them after you get rid of the hard-as-a-rock Lansaloy surround material!

Looks like 1973 for the first C45/L45 listed in the catalogs, along with the S8 system. Though the S8 actually is shown much earlier, too, at least as far back as 1962.
    Thanks. Any suggestions on which I should get? I see some for as little at $40/pair. The woofers do seem stiff when I push on them. The repair doesn't look too challenging with the right tools and patience.

This has a more beautiful baffle lay out than the standard 4333 I think. Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by jrsevy View Post
    Thanks. Any suggestions on which I should get? I see some for as little at $40/pair. The woofers do seem stiff when I push on them. The repair doesn't look too challenging with the right tools and patience.
    Rick Cobb: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d-Step-by-step
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Not knowing your experience level, I’d suggest you have the repair done professionally if you want to maximize your return. Nothing says “run away” quite like a crappy DIY refurb ... which often is easy to spot. If this is old hat, knock yourself out

A Cautionary Tale from AudioKarma for those flippers looking to enhance their profit margins via ( DIY ) re-surrounds.

In answer to your question, the S8 system has been around since the early 60s.

Those appear to be in pristine condition. Assuming you carefully remove the components, you will get the highest return for parting them out. I would assume you would get $3000 to $4000 for the parts. If you want to sell them I would not repair the woofers. Because they look so pristine I think they will be worth more to the collector as they are.

Now, all that said… If they are in a convenient location and you enjoy the way they sound I would follow the advice above and have them professionally serviced. If they were mine I would also upgrade the tweeter to the slot radiator and build a newer crossover.

Widget

[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;413614]In answer to your question, the S8 system has been around since the early 60s.

Those appear to be in pristine condition. Assuming you carefully remove the components, you will get the highest return for parting them out. I would assume you would get $3000 to $4000 for the parts. If you want to sell them I would not repair the woofers. Because they look so pristine I think they will be worth more to the collector as they are.

Now, all that said… If they are in a convenient location and you enjoy the way they sound I would follow the advice above and have them professionally serviced. If they were mine I would also upgrade the tweeter to the slot radiator and build a newer crossover.

Thanks for the great advice. If I got the surrounds replaced, I would have it done professionally. I am now maybe considering parting the components out. I did remove the woofers and it appears the speakers have never been opened. There is a name Motta on probably an inspection or assembler card. A nut tee was missing from one of the woofer screws but there are no teeth indentations, so it was missed in assembly. What to do? I think I'll sleep on it.

I'm really starting to get the vintage JBL bug and may go hog wild. Thinking of pulling all S8 components and building a Metregon like enclosure for them. It would look amazing in our home, which is a mid-century Frank Wright type prairie home. I need to do some research on the right woofer porting to get the low end dynamics right. I have built a fair amount of cabinetry and have all the tools. I want to show off the 075's leaving them exposed and the 375/ HL93's too. Now for some research and plans...

Any input would be appreciated but I'm shifting gears from trying to make a buck to creating something really cool.

All out and I couldn't believe how massive the this stuff weighs. Depending on what I build for a console, I've been looking at different lens options for the 375 driver. I'd like not to use the original baffles on the H93's for appearance but getting everything sounding right will need some thought.

My update on repurposing my speaker compnents

Almost complete and I had my woofers re-foamed. My attempt to create a modified Metregon with an added component cabinet in the middle of the curve. Just need to insulate, add my old JBL speakers and make the louvers in front of the baffle panels.

Very Cool!
    What is your woofer enclosure volume?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Very Cool!
    What is your woofer enclosure volume?

Widget
    I think I figured 8.4 cubic feet with all bracing accounted for. I calculated the port dimensions at 28Hz. The frequency I found for the LE-15A used by JBL is 30Hz, so I'll maybe play around with it.

As long as we're on the subject of the woofer enclosure, would you recommend adding insulation on all sides? I saw pictures of Metregons that appeared to have insulation on all but the back and the baffle. I plan on using 1.5" thick denim insulation from Home Depot. Don't want fiberglass fibers going airborne through the port from the woofer movement.

Thread Information