Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remarkable flip side

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Remarkable flip side

Do you remember any 7" (45rpm singles) or 45rpm maxi singles with remarkable flip sides? Forgotten gems?
    Listen to Booker T Jones' vocals in "Johnny, I love you"! From OST "Uptight".
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Junior Walker & The All Stars, Roadrunner/Shotgun, 1965, Tamla Motown GB, TMG 691

Side B: "Shotgun" with three powerful sopran sax solos by Junior Walker.
    James Jamerson on bass.

-= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

John Fogerty, Ricochet, 1973, Bellaphon Germany, BF 18220

After a free jazz sax intro this instrumental rocks! Great guitar and organ and John's screaming in the background. Fogerty plays all instruments by himself. Fun!

Atlanta Rhythm Section, Everybody gotta go, 1976, Polydor Germany 2066 774, 45rpm

"Everybody gotta go" is a powerful boogie on flipside of "So in to you", which was a lame duck in Supertramp style.
    But this one is characterized by strong guitars and lyrics: "Take Vitamin C, B12 and E for your eyes, skin, teeth and bones. But when the good Lord calls, you can forget it all. Don't you know you're as good as gone?" An enjoyable depressive boogie for this bright beautiful spring morning, written by Buie/Nix/Daughtry, mastered by Bob Ludwig. Life ist just a dream? This boogie brings you back to reality, isn't it?

Lizzy Mercier Descloux, Love Streams, 1986, Polydor France, 883 6967

Flip side of "Fog Horn Blues": "A word is a whah" and "Love streams" featuring Chet Baker on trumpet. This is a french kiss, bonjour à tous!

Gun, Race with the devil/Sunshine, 1968, CBS Germany, 3764, multicolored vinyl, 7"

"Sunshine": this is not The Cream, it's The Gun: fantastic guitar solo by Adrian Gurvitz.

Free, Mouthful of grass, 1970, Island Germany, 6014 016

Flip side of "All right now". A calm guitar instrumental. A majestic bijou.

Flip (B) side of Church Street Soul Revival was Draggin the Line by Tommy James if I recall Casey Kasem correctly

The Mission, Mr. Pleasant, 1990, Mercury Holland, 876 5767

Well-made version of The Kinks' song on flip side of "Deliverance". Mission possible...

Chris Andrews, Yesterday man/Too bad you don't want me, 1965, Vogue D, DV 14429

Because of the unknown guitar player on the flip side! Jeff Beck on "Too bad you don't want me" in one of his first studio sessions in 1964.

Genesis, Feeding the fire, 1986, Virgin Germany, 108 632-100

Flip side of "Land of confusion". Would have been the better choice for an A-side track. Interesting multifaceted composition.

David Bowie, Wild eyed boy from freecloud, 1969, Philips UK, Mono, 45rpm

Wonderful song. Allegedly the debut of Mick Ronson. The outro is slowed down by superb "Buckmastering". Oh, this boy could sing: 50 years ago...

Bowie selbst sagt über das Lied: “It was about the disassociated, the ones who feel as though they’re left outside, which was how I felt about me. I always felt I was on the edge of events, the fringe of things, and left out. A lot of my characters in those early years seem to revolve around that feeling. It must have come from my own interior puzzlement at where I was” (dt.: Es ging um die Außenseiter, die von sich glaubten, außen vor zu bleiben, so fühlte ich mich damals. Ich fühlte mich immer an der Kante und am Rande der Ereignisse, draußen gelassen. Eine Menge meiner Charaktere der frühen Jahre scheinen um dieses Gefühl zu kreisen. Es musste aus meiner inneren Verwirrung, wer ich war, kommen).[16] (Wikipedia)

Bruce Dickinson, Darkness be my friend, 1990, EMI EU, 20 3918 7

Flip side of "All the young dudes". Simple and pure with unsuspected profundity. A very kind tribute to David Bowie.

Bachmann Turner Overdrive, Free Wheelin' 1974, Mercury Germany, 6167 025

Listen to guitar solo by Blair Thornton on "Free wheeling". It is similar to parts of the guitar solo by Jimmy Page on "Whole lotta love".

Dire Straits, Eastbound Train, 1978, Vertigo Germany, 6059 206

Flip side of "Sultan of swing".
    This is the live track that was recorded as one of the first songs of Mark "Sultan" Knopfler. A jazzy honkytonk rag boogie with a miraculous guitar solo. You feel alright when you hear the music ring...

Thread Information