Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hype or masterpiece?

Hype or masterpiece?

Roy Harper & Jimmy Page: "Whatever happened to Jugula": hype or masterpiece?
    Anybody has similar doubts for debatable rock music works?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Prince, Purple Rain, OST, 1984, WB, 925 110-1

When doves cry baby I'm a star.....
    Look at the remark by Prince himself in the book "1001 Alben, die sie hören sollten, bevor das Leben vorbei ist", Seite 520.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

ABC, Lexicon Of Love, 1982, Vertigo Germany, 6359 099

Produced by Trevor Horn. Photograpy Gered Mankowitz. A megaseller in 1982. Bombast pop for the Star Wars generation?
    Masterpiece or hype?

Jamming With Edward, 1972, Rolling Stones Records UK, COC 39100

This one is definitively not a masterpiece. Interesting because of the Boogie Woogie piano by Nicky Hopkins and the guitar by Ry Cooder. Parts of "The Boudoir stomp" later were used for "Midnight Rambler". Hey, this one reached No 33 on the US charts!! A meaningless waste of vinyl material...

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    A meaningless waste of vinyl material...
    sorry, I DON'T agree . Rather like "It Hurts Me Too"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Klaatu, Same, 1976, Capitol USA, ST-11542

The Beatles or not the Beatles? This was the question in 1976. After all the hype and 42 years: it's a little masterpiece, isn't it?
    "California Jam" A2: Beach Boys or not Beach Boys?

Led Zeppelin, III, 1970, Atlantic France, 940 051

The vocals by Robert Plant are nearly unbearable. Wailing of an Eunuch beyond belief. Too bad, hence this was definitively a hype, IMHO. Exeption: "Immigrant song" was the wailing of a hungry Viking warrior returning from war back to his wife at home.....

Hapshash And The Coloured Coat, Featuring The Human..., 1967, Akarama Italy, AK204

"Featuring The Human Host And The Heavy Metal Kids." Italian 2002 reissue. A jam. Pseudo-psychedelic cult album. Guy Stevens, Michael English, Nigel Weymouth plus LSD. What did they do with their instruments in the studio? I can't understand this incredible incompetence. A waste of vinyl. No go, IMHO.

The vocals by Robert Plant are nearly unbearable. Wailing of an Eunuch beyond belief. Too bad, hence this was definitively a hype, IMHO. Exeption: "Immigrant song" was the wailing of a hungry Viking warrior returning from war back to his wife at home.....
    LZ III definitely IS a masterpiece! Yes, it is totally different from any other LZ album and hence initially didn't satisfy LZ fans in 1970, but, according to Chris Welch and other sources, it's different sound and instrumentation was done deliberately.

Note Jimmy Page's guitar solo in Since I've Been Loving You (track A4), IMHO the best solo Jimmy did, and most probably one of the best guitar soli at all.

Btw, I've bought exactly the same French pressing of this album as yours in the 1970ies and owned it 'til I gave it to my younger son about two years ago. He still possesses it. In comparison to e.g. German pressings it sounds a bit muffled.

Best regards!

The vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    LZ III definitely IS a masterpiece! Yes, it is totally different from any other LZ album and hence initially didn't satisfy LZ fans in 1970, but, according to Chris Welch and other sources, it's different sound and instrumentation was done deliberately.

Note Jimmy Page's guitar solo in Since I've Been Loving You (track A4), IMHO the best solo Jimmy did, and most probably one of the best guitar soli at all.

Btw, I've bought exactly the same French pressing of this album as yours in the 1970ies and owned it 'til I gave it to my younger son about two years ago. He still possesses it. In comparison to e.g. German pressings it sounds a bit muffled.

Best regards!
    Agreed, concerning the guitar work and the composers benefits! But what do you think about the vocals of R.P. on LZ III?

this was NOT my fave LZ album, but I do have more than just 1 cut from it on my dap that keeps me company when riding bike. maybe more

"Immigrant Song"
    "Since I've Been Loving You"
    "Gallows Pole"

conversely, I've heard "Stairway" too many times and turn it off now.

@Fritz: I wouldn't complain about Robert Plant's vocals. He surely was the prototype for almost any rock singer from the 1970ies on.

@Seawolf: I love LZ III, due to it's almost completely other approach. There's only one really weak song, Out On the Tiles (A5). And yes, I've also heard Stairway To Heaven too much. Undoubtedly a great song, but nowadays LZ appear to be reduced to it.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    @Seawolf: I love LZ III, due to it's almost completely other approach. There's only one really weak song, Out On the Tiles (A5). And yes, I've also heard Stairway To Heaven too much. Undoubtedly a great song, but nowadays LZ appear to be reduced to it.

Best regards!
    LZ kinda came back "into the fold" with LZ4. TO ME, LZ1 is almost like a Greatest Hits album.
    Also rather liked (mostly) the Mediterranean flavored P&P album "Unleaded/No Quarter"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Qua...Plant_Unledded

"Nobody's Fault but Mine" – 4:06
    "Thank You" – 5:47
    "No Quarter" (John Paul Jones/Page/Plant) – 3:45
    "Friends" – 4:37
    "Yallah" – 4:59
    "City Don't Cry" – 6:08
    "Since I've Been Loving You" (Jones/Page/Plant) – 7:29
    "The Battle of Evermore" – 6:41
    "Wonderful One" – 4:57
    "That's the Way" – 5:35
    "Gallows Pole" (Traditional arr. Page/Plant) – 4:09
    "Four Sticks" – 4:52
    "Kashmir" (John Bonham/Page/Plant) – 12:27

A mature voice

Concerning Robert Plants vocal contribution: agreed! So let's listen to the best version ever of "Thank you" track 2, IMHO. His voice never was so superb before this one. A seasoned/mature voice. Thank you...

Concerning Robert Plants vocal contribution: agreed! So let's listen to the best version ever of "Thank you" track 2, IMHO. His voice never was so superb before this one. A seasoned/mature voice. Thank you...
    3 years ago, I found this double LP in a thrift store...SEALED ... really wanted to open & play it, but my son sells records online and it had very good sale value to him.

Thread Information