Thread: 4367 - Bass Response? Seems like reviews are mixed.

4367 - Bass Response? Seems like reviews are mixed.

So I am considering a pair of 4367's here as my next speakers. I've owned the 3900's in the past, and demo'd the M2's as a part of a big system, and I've briefly heard the 1400's.

The M2's were spectacular, now I don't know how they were EQ'd, but easily one of the best speakers I've heard at any price. The bass was deep and punchy, the highs accurate, detailed but not harsh and bright.

The 1400's were set-up weird. Up on risers, but not spiked, hardwood floor, very non-damped environment. I was not able to cut them loose. But I did feel they were on the brighter side, and did not hear much bass at all. That said, the set-up was not good.

My 3900's - man, a lot to like. I wish they had punched lower in the bass, but they were fast, the highs were good BUT that speaker needed to be opened up (85+ db's) I felt to really open up.

Enter the 4367 - reviews are quite good, I know they are adjustable a bit via the front "eq"'s. But reviews are all over the place on the bass response.

Some reviews talk about a lot of bass, enough to kick you in the chest when a drum kit hits and that you have to be careful to not get TOO much bass. Other reviews talk about it being leaner than the 1400's...

I felt the M2's were awesome in the bass department, but I am not sure if the place I heard them had a custom EQ going. I'm hoping to demo the 4367's soon. But I make no bones about it. I like bass. Sure, I have a subwoofer, but honestly I prefer it if I can have a speaker that thumps on it's own. It's tough to tell in the reviews, because it's really all over the place. I know it's subjective, rooms matter etc. But generally, I don't have much of an issue listening to a speaker and knowing if it can thump or not. Thoughts?

There plenty of speakers that produce lower bass, but I've never had a pair that produced tuneful, impacting bass like the 4367's.

If you stream music with a server such as Roon or JRiver, you can boost the lower bass 6dB or so to augment that region. If you have the amplification the bass driver can easily handle it.

I owned the 4367's, Revel Salon 2's and M2's within a very short period of time and tried many amps with each. My gear, my ears, my room and hence, my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DEP14 View Post
    So I am considering a pair of 4367's here as my next speakers. I've owned the 3900's in the past, and demo'd the M2's as a part of a big system, and I've briefly heard the 1400's.

The M2's were spectacular, now I don't know how they were EQ'd, but easily one of the best speakers I've heard at any price. The bass was deep and punchy, the highs accurate, detailed but not harsh and bright.

The 1400's were set-up weird. Up on risers, but not spiked, hardwood floor, very non-damped environment. I was not able to cut them loose. But I did feel they were on the brighter side, and did not hear much bass at all. That said, the set-up was not good.

My 3900's - man, a lot to like. I wish they had punched lower in the bass, but they were fast, the highs were good BUT that speaker needed to be opened up (85+ db's) I felt to really open up.

Enter the 4367 - reviews are quite good, I know they are adjustable a bit via the front "eq"'s. But reviews are all over the place on the bass response.

Some reviews talk about a lot of bass, enough to kick you in the chest when a drum kit hits and that you have to be careful to not get TOO much bass. Other reviews talk about it being leaner than the 1400's...

I felt the M2's were awesome in the bass department, but I am not sure if the place I heard them had a custom EQ going. I'm hoping to demo the 4367's soon. But I make no bones about it. I like bass. Sure, I have a subwoofer, but honestly I prefer it if I can have a speaker that thumps on it's own. It's tough to tell in the reviews, because it's really all over the place. I know it's subjective, rooms matter etc. But generally, I don't have much of an issue listening to a speaker and knowing if it can thump or not. Thoughts?
    HI Dep14,

I would suggest to listen JBL 4345 speakers, before final decision about the bass section of the mentioned 4367 and the others speakers with 2216nd drivers..
    regards
    ivica

speaker reviews & the real world

Colleagues:

I for one am very wary of speaker reviews, or any reviews for that matter. Many times I have read reviews of let's say certain English products ( now made in China), where the reviewer blew all his fuses, and when I listened to them, I found that they were not that good. Certainly not to the mega-buck price that were being asked for them. And upon returning to the review finding the disclaimer: " This product sounds fantastic, but doesn't measure well". Huh??

On the other hand I have read a review that the LSR 32/6332 (it was either one or the other) was ok, but was boomy. What? Not the ones I heard. I wonder if the reviewer actually listened to them. Or if he was standing in a closet with the door closed.
    I think that here was a case of the reviewer didn't like JBL's and no matter what, he was not going to like them! Much goes in to the sound of the speaker, not only the the product it self but the room it is listened to in, and the way that they are positioned and of course the material played on them.

I have become a skeptic of reviews and reviewers, I believe that they bring their own preconceived notions with them. And unless we have complete information on how the review was conducted, I will remain a skeptic, and will trust my own aged dimmed ears.

Skeptically Yours

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Hi DEP;

Your experience with the 1400’s is exactly the opposite of how I would describe my 1400’s.

When I bought the 4365’s and put them in place of the 1400’s I thought the 4365’s were bass shy, but the bass quality / clarity was much better. The 2216 is much the same.

I gave the 4365’s a 4dB boost at 49Hz, with a Q of 1.4 and took the subs out. This is a 2 channel music system.

The 4367 would respond similarly I am sure.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post

I have become a skeptic of reviews and reviewers, I believe that they bring their own preconceived notions with them. And unless we have complete information on how the review was conducted, I will remain a skeptic, and will trust my own aged dimmed ears.

Skeptically Yours

Ed
    Ed, I'm in the same boat ...

used to subscribe to "Stereophile" . Have they ever reviewed anything that they didn't slobber over ? (except Holt) . Got to where I didn't trust any subjective word from them. esp. Fremer, dudley.

sorry for OT. plse resume.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi DEP;

Your experience with the 1400’s is exactly the opposite of how I would describe my 1400’s.

When I bought the 4365’s and put them in place of the 1400’s I thought the 4365’s were bass shy, but the bass quality / clarity was much better. The 2216 is much the same.

I gave the 4365’s a 4dB boost at 49Hz, with a Q of 1.4 and took the subs out. This is a 2 channel music system.

The 4367 would respond similarly I am sure.

Barry.

With the 1400's... it was for sure a bad set-up (or at least how I wouldn't set them up).

So that was with a grain of salt.

This is a very hard question to answer. I've heard the 4367 in 3 different setups in 3 different rooms and in 3 different positions in my room. And all I can say is that the result varies a lot thanks to the room. Two of the setups had the speakers very far from the back wall and they were lacking in bass, and I feel that I get too much bass if I move them closer to the back wall in my room.
    I would not worry too much about the bass response unless you are used with speakers that go straight down to 20hz. If you find the bass lacking, just move the speakers or the listening position around a little in the room.

Thread Information